Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-05-2018, 07:34 AM   #1
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Libra II
EPUB to AZW3 adds inline ToC to end of book?

I have a quite normal EPUB with a ToC in the toc.ncx but no inline ToC in the text of the book. When I convert it to AZW3 it suddenly acquires an inline ToC following the last chapter, which has <body id="calibre_generated_inline_toc"> as if it were generated by Calibre's "Insert Inline ToC" tool.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? I regularly convert EPUBs to AZW3 to read on my Kindle, and I've never seen this happen before...
Phssthpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:16 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
That is the default conversion behavior for AZW3 format.

In the conversion settings in the "AZW3 output" tab there is an option "Do not add Table of Contents to book" to disable this.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 04:39 AM   #3
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post

In the conversion settings in the "AZW3 output" tab there is an option "Do not add Table of Contents to book" to disable this.
Thanks. I don't quite know what's happened, but I ticked the box and reconverted the offending book and all is now well. However, that book was one out of a batch of 15 EPUB books which I uploaded to my Kindle yesterday, and they were all converted automatically to AZW3 as part of the upload process. The other 14 AZW3s don't have an inline TOC at the end, so I'm really puzzled.

I decided to open the AZW3 that had the inline ToC and another AZW3 in the editor to see if I could spot any difference. The book with the inline ToC opens without any problems, but whichever other one I tried it with, the editor reported this error:

Code:
calibre, version 3.28.0
ERROR: Failed to open book: Failed to open book, click "Show details" for more information.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\tweak_book\job.py", line 35, in run
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\tweak_book\boss.py", line 60, in get_container
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\polish\container.py", line 1508, in get_container
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\polish\container.py", line 1469, in __init__
InvalidMobi: Failed to explode MOBI
The books all appear to be fine otherwise: the Kindle is happy with them, the Calibre viewer is happy with them... weird. I feel like I should just tiptoe away quietly.

Last edited by Phssthpok; 08-06-2018 at 04:42 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:52 AM   #4
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post

I thought this problem had gone away, but it seems not. Some (but not all) EPUBs have a ToC added at the end when I convert them to AZW3.

I have "Do not add Table of Contents to book" ticked, as above. I have also looked at other settings, but the only one I can find that seems like it might be relevant is Common Options -> Table of Contents -> Force use of auto-generated ToC (which is NOT ticked).

Is there any reason anyone can think of why this might happen? The fact that it only happens to a few books is particularly baffling -- other books are fine, but if I delete the AZW3s and reconvert, the same few books consistently end up with a ToC at the end, as if there's something in the books themselves that makes it happen...

Last edited by Phssthpok; 09-05-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:19 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=186697
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:39 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Phssthpok - I don't convert EPUB to AZW3, so this is mere speculation:

Maybe the books that don't have the ToC are using book specific conversion settings, and the ones that do have the ToC are using the conversion settings from Preferences -- or vice versa.

There's a Restore Defaults button on the Conversion dialogue (bottom left)

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:50 PM   #7
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
This may clear up some confusion about conversion settings:
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/con...for-conversion
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:49 AM   #8
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyR View Post
This may clear up some confusion about conversion settings:
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/con...for-conversion
Aha:
"1. From the defaults set in Preferences->Conversion
"2. From the saved conversion settings for each book being converted (if any). This can be turned off by the option in the top left corner of the Bulk Conversion dialog."

And 2 takes precedence.

This is a nasty, subtle and unexpected trap that I would expect most people would be surprised by -- having converted a book, discovered a problem, changed preferences according and reconverted, I would expect the new preference settings to hold. By no, they will be ignored completely!

And even worse, if I convert a single book (or if, as in my case, I auto-convert to AZW3 when attempting to upload EPUBs to my Kindle, and never convert manually), I don't have the option to do anything about this AT ALL.

And finally, even having unticked the box, the next time I do a bulk conversion the box is ticked again -- so it looks like (for certain books at least) I have to include them in a bulk conversion (and remember to untick the box again!) in order to kill off the ToC Zombie that keeps rising from the dead. Is there no way to untick this box permanently?

Last edited by Phssthpok; 09-06-2018 at 07:24 AM.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:27 AM   #9
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Hm. This works for me fine since years. Had you check your global conversion template in preferences for format MOBI and AZW3 output options looks like? As BR wrote, the global template "defaults" will be overwritten from a manual changed template for a individual book. To reverse this behavior you need to set the preferences to default for these books.

A behavior that I really like because I don't need to think about original vs manipulated conversion behavior. My standard behavior is to manipulate as less as possible during a converting process and do modifications only if a default setup or a book design so poor that I need to correct to become it on a reader readable.

The only thing I am sometimes missing is a easy way to identify books with a non default individual conversion setups within the library. Maybe an enhancement for a plugin?
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 07:58 AM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingduck View Post
The only thing I am sometimes missing is a easy way to identify books with a non default individual conversion setups within the library. Maybe an enhancement for a plugin?
+1

Something you could use in a template to set a Column colour or Column icon.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 01:20 PM   #11
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Yes, this would be nice and handy.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:11 AM   #12
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingduck View Post
Hm. This works for me fine since years. Had you check your global conversion template in preferences for format MOBI and AZW3 output options looks like? As BR wrote, the global template "defaults" will be overwritten from a manual changed template for a individual book. To reverse this behavior you need to set the preferences to default for these books.
Thanks to a Windows update ("Destroyer's edition" or some such) which required a total reinstall, I lost my Calibre settings, which I had neglected to back up. I forgot to set the AZW3 output option after reinstalling, so everything since then was done using a ToC-at end. Then I changed the ToC-at-end setting, but still got ToCs at the end of some books, presumably those I'd converted previously.

Quote:
Absolutely. In desperation, what I ended up doing was bulk-converting all my books with ToC-at-end turned off to make sure this doesn't happen again. This took slightly over 3 days to run...

Last edited by Phssthpok; 09-16-2018 at 05:13 AM.

Tags
azw3, inline toc