Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How many ereaders do you own?
1 29 16.76%
2 34 19.65%
3 or more 110 63.58%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-05-2021, 01:00 PM   #16
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Kindle PW4 That I dont like! Kobo Clara that I LOVE!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 01:44 PM   #17
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Having taken inventory, this is a bit embarrassing, as I have, I think, 13 or so. Oasis 2, KPW4, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Libra and Kobo Clara, Kobo Glo HD, Pocketbook Touch HD3, Sony PRS T1, Sony PRS T2, and two Sony PRS-350s.

I mainly use the KPW4 and Kindle Voyage as my main readers because of how portable they are and I have my Calibre set for KFX sideloading really well. I could not get epub to function well with fonts/sideloading as well as I could with KFX. I do use the Oasis in bed, but it's not used as much as the other two. The others, I recharge monthly.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2021, 04:48 PM   #18
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Is too many an acceptable answer? Yesterday, I added another to my collection when I pre-ordered the Kobo Sage.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 05:01 PM   #19
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
I have three - my original Sony PRS-505. A Pocketbook Touch Lux 4 whose battery not longer holds a charge. A Pocketbook TL3, which is my main reader which is being replaced as it can't handle some new publications and keeps freezing. Its replacement, the TL5 is on its way.
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 05:38 PM   #20
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
As one the very few respondents who have only one ereader, the results of this poll REALLY emphasize a point that is made often here at MR: MR denizens are not even remotely representative of the mythical "average user". In a world where many have never seen an ereader, and many more assume Kindle is all there is, to see 90% of MR users testify to often several shows the difference nicely. Even if the sample size and methodology may be ever so slightly less than scientifically rigorous.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2021, 02:15 AM   #21
Katja_hbg
Groupie
Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo Glo HD (landscape), Kobo Aura One
I decide between «inside» and «outside».
At home I use my Kobo Aura One.
Outside, e.g. while traveling or in the bus, I use my Kobo GloHD.
My third reader is a Kindle; used for special reason and by my husband during vacation.
Katja_hbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 05:59 AM   #22
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I voted two and chose not to count tablets. I have a Kindle Oasis and Voyage. A while back I dropped off a Kindle Keyboard, and Kindle (not sure which model but a basic 6" reader with no light) at a thrift store.

If I counted tablets well then, I have a 2020 Apple iPad pro, Kindle fire 8, and old apple iPad mini 1.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 08:10 AM   #23
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I mainly use my Paperwhite 4 (for KU books) (really love reading on it!) and my Kobo Clara HD (for non KU books)(love the small size and weight and just everything about it!).

I occasionally use my Kobo H2O and my Kindle Voyage, as well.

Also have pre-ordered the new Kindle Paperwhite so there will be some shuffling. But I'm not getting rid of any of those listed.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 12:27 PM   #24
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
I have two, the kindle used only for KU reads and a kobo glo used for everything else. I prefer the kobo but haven’t used it much lately because I keep renewing KU. The battery of my kobo lasts much longer than the one from the kindle that is only 2 years old.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 01:13 PM   #25
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Love my Kindle Oasis. Have a bunch a Fire Tablets, and a couple Samsung, but don't use them for reading. My Kindle Oasis is on my bedside table, along with a PW2. for when the battery on the Oasis gives out.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 11:03 AM   #26
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Currently down to 16 units. Soon to be 15.

4 Keyboards - mostly backups if one fails. I keep long series on these. Love my buttons and text-to-speech.
1 Touch - editing converted books; also text to speech
3 Basic 7 - attached to brother and BIL's accounts; one to be sold
1 Basic 8 - Whispersync books
1 Paperwhite 3 - Magazines - current take-a-long unit
5 Voyages - Upstairs/downstairs and backups
1 Nook Glo3 - Bedside

Edited to add: I did not include my tablets - HDX, 7 and and 2 8s from 2019. I use them for craft/cooking magazines, text to speech, occasionally an audiobook. Also found tablets more useful than an ereader if hospitalized due to multifunction capability.

Last edited by Tarana; 12-28-2021 at 08:33 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:06 PM   #27
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I have six, three Kobo, three Kindle. I read my Amazon books on my Oasis 2 at home and my Voyage outside of home. I read fan fiction and non Amazon books on my Forma at home and my Clara HD outside of home. My PW4 is actually hubby’s back up as he also has a Voyage, his only e-reader, and my Libra H20 is my Kobo backup.

I really want the Sage, but I’d feel like I would have to sell one Kobo and I’m not sure I could do it

My Kobo e-readers are far more important to me right now than my Amazon e-readers.

Last edited by Josieb1; 10-07-2021 at 05:10 PM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:45 PM   #28
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Not counting tablets, I have three, PW3 and 4, and the Oasis 3. I meant to get the Oasis 3 and use the PW4 when taking of the house, etc., as the original plan - but honestly they just sit there and I rarely use my paperwhites. I am tempted to trade one in if another Oasis comes out.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 06:23 PM   #29
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
I have three in use (kindle basic white, kindle oasis 3 and kobo Libra) and various old ones I don’t know where in the house (DX, Kindle 2), as well as various paperwhites which belong to my kids, plus my husband has a PW4.

My preference is to read on a white E-reader, now that they have lighting, I am usually able to get the screen to be approximately the same color as the bezels, which gives a very pleasant page-like effect.

When I got the white kindle basic, I already had an Oasis 2. I bought the basic to have the white surround, but the low dpi annoyed me. What I really wanted was a 300 dpi E-reader with a white surround. When the Oasis 3 with the warm lighting came out, I bought this, even though it had a black surround. Little did I know Kobo were going to release the Libra a couple of months later! I felt frustrated, and ending up buying a decal to give me the pale surround, that worked for me for a while, then in March this year, I gave in and bought a white Libra. I really love it.

But I always feel guilty - whichever reader I am using, it is always on my mind that the other two are sitting idle, I feel that I have been far too extravagant. I console myself with the thought that this is the only type of tech I am addicted to buying, it could be a lot worse.

My favorite color is sage, kind of ironically, and if the kobo sage came in a white version, and the charging cover was useable as a standing cover, and came in sage green (like the standard standing cover), I would have bought it. It is quite annoying to me that the white E-reader seems to be perceived as a non-premium option, but that is how it is.

I am not planning on buying the new paperwhite or any of the new kobos. The change from Libra 1 to Libra 2 is too insignificant, and I don’t like the look of the new button placement.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 06:32 PM   #30
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
The good news is that some of the many e-ink readers I've owned in the past have gone on to new owners. I still have more than I truly need!

The current list is: Sony T-2, 2-Kobo Aura HDs (one inherited from hubby), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Oasis 2 and a Kobo Forma.

Only 3 of these are in regular use for reading. The Kobo Aura One, Forma and Oasis 2.

As for HOW I use them, the two 8" Kobos are easy to switch between. I'm in the *voracious* reader category, reading several books weekly and some 100+ yearly. I don't do social media, I don't watch TV, I read. So when I get a low battery notice, I sync n' switch.

The Kindle is nice for assorted Amazon freebies and Prime books, but the main reason I have a Kindle is because I also am digitizing some of my print book collection for personal use (and maybe later, as I do have a few public domain print books), for MobileRead use. It's good to have a Kindle device to test on.

The pair of Aura HDs stuck around because it was an easy way to look at CSS styling changes, see which I liked the best in on identical screens at identical settings. But now that I have the Aura One/Forma combo, I will likely sell or find homes for those.

The Sony T2 sticks around for the occasional PDF, nostalgia and also as a good *acid test* for backward compatibility of my ePub3 home-made books.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote