Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-28-2021, 06:39 PM   #1
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
USA stopping 2G & 3G network service affects some Kindle Devices

An email I got today regarding my 3G Kindle Voyage...

An update about your Kindle device and cellular connectivity
Amazon.com <store-news@amazon.com>

Hello,

Starting this December, Mobile Network Operators (MNOs) in the U.S. will start phasing out their 2G and 3G networks (to learn more about MNO 2G and 3G network deprecation, click here). This means that some prior generation Kindle devices, including Kindle (1st and 2nd Generation) and Kindle DX (2nd Generation), will no longer be able to connect to the internet. Customers who own these devices will still be able to enjoy previously downloaded content on their Kindle, but they will no longer be able to access or download new content wirelessly.

Other devices, including Kindle Keyboard (3rd Generation), Kindle Touch (4th Generation), Kindle Paperwhite (5th Generation, 6th Generation, and 7th Generation), Kindle Voyage (7th Generation), and Kindle Oasis (8th Generation), will only be able to connect to the internet using Wi-Fi. If you are unsure which device you have, see Identify Your Kindle E-reader for more information.

To thank you for being one of our earliest customers, we’d like to offer you a promotion code, valid through August 15, 2021, at 11:59 pm (PDT) for $50 off a new Kindle Paperwhite or Kindle Oasis, plus $15 in eBook credits. Terms and Conditions apply.

Last edited by copyrite; 07-29-2021 at 05:07 PM.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:38 PM   #2
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
It's not Amazon, it's Sprint and AT&T.

(FWIW, I think the Sprint 2G/3G the first gen and early 2nd gen devices used has been all but phased out or otherwise unusable by Kindles for a couple years now)
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:45 PM   #3
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
I wonder if the $50 discount can be used with a trade-in. That would be a great discount.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:41 AM   #4
Badcatalex
I draw.
Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, K4B, KPW3, KOA3, KF7 (2019)
For me, a K1 owner, it read:

Hello Alex,

When we introduced the first Amazon Kindle fourteen years ago, it forever changed how books are read and published, and we want to thank you for being one of our first Kindle customers.

Starting this December, Mobile Network Operators (MNOs) in the U.S. will start phasing out their 2G and 3G networks (to learn more about MNO 2G and 3G network deprecation, click here). This means that some prior generation Kindle devices, including your Kindle (1st Generation) will no longer be able to connect to the internet and will have no way to wirelessly connect to the Kindle Store. You will still be able to enjoy previously downloaded content on your Kindle, but you will no longer be able to access or download new content wirelessly.

To thank you for being one of our earliest customers, and for still reading on your Kindle (1st Generation) device, we would like to offer you a free Kindle Oasis (10th Generation) device and device cover (up to a $289.98 value), so you can continue to enjoy reading and downloading new content.

To redeem this offer, please check that your default Amazon shipping address is accurate and within the U.S., and authorize Amazon to ship these products, by September 28, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. (PDT). Terms & Conditions apply.

For questions or concerns, please contact Customer Service.

Sincerely,

The Kindle Team

Amazon.com

Does this mean my Kindle is from around the launch period? I had gotten it from Goodwill. Or is this for all 3G Kindle owners? I definitely took the offer up tho
Badcatalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:47 AM   #5
Badcatalex
I draw.
Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
It's not Amazon, it's Sprint and AT&T.

(FWIW, I think the Sprint 2G/3G the first gen and early 2nd gen devices used has been all but phased out or otherwise unusable by Kindles for a couple years now)
Nah it still.works... won't for much longer tho
Old 07-29-2021, 04:50 AM   #6
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcatalex View Post
I actually am getting a free Oasis (and case) because I have a registered Kindle 1.
I would send proof but it keeps getting auto deleted. Anyone else getting a deal like this? It's saying that I am "one of their earliest customers" and "one of their earliest Kindle customers" however. Is my Kindle like an early unit or something? Or is this for all original Kindle users? Or all 3G only Kindle owners?
That's nice of Amazon!

I don't think I'm using this deal. I really don't need another Kindle. I don't think.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:02 AM   #7
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Amazon isn't responsible for this, why does the subject line say it is? The sunsetting of 2/3g has been talked about for many years. It shouldn't be a surprise for anyone.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:14 AM   #8
EltaninPub
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
I wonder if the $50 discount can be used with a trade-in. That would be a great discount.
This is what I'm trying to figure out. My email said I'd get $70 off certain kindles, and a $25 ebook credit. I guess it varies by how long you've had a K3 (and actually I have 2 on my account).

IF I can combine it with the 20% off deal with trade in, plus the $5 credit for the K3 trade in, I can get a paperwhite basically for free. But I have no way of knowing if the offers will combine until I mail in the K3, they get it, and the apply the 20% off promotion to my account. If I can't combine offers, I'd rather just sell the K3 on eBay.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:23 AM   #9
EltaninPub
Nameless Being

Actually, looking at what great-condition add-free K3s are selling for on eBay (especially since I have 2 covers for it), I guess I'd do better selling it on eBay than the Amazon trade in. If I used the 20% of on a paperwhite, that's $26 + the $5 gift card. And they're selling for more than that on eBay.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:36 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
And it's not everywhere. Here they have only just started installing "Smart" Electricity meters that use 3G.

Most USA 2G was CDMA, not GSM 2G.

Also many USA 3G is not compatible with other 3G, nor upgraded to HSPA etc. It's some USA operators getting rid of stuff that's very obsolete.

Yes, the Amazon trade in isn't worth it. Someone using a non-Kindle may offer more and only care if it's deregistered and not blacklisted. They only need it to work long enough to register and then put it in a drawer.

Trade-ins in most sectors are convenience, not value.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 11:39 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
When we introduced the first Amazon Kindle fourteen years ago, it forever changed how books are read and published, and we want to thank you for being one of our first Kindle customers.
Amazon is wrong here. Sony was the company that started with a Reader that used eInk. The first eInk based reader released in the US was the Sony Reader PRS-505.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:34 PM   #12
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Amazon is wrong here. Sony was the company that started with a Reader that used eInk. The first eInk based reader released in the US was the Sony Reader PRS-505.

I see no mention of eink by Amazon.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:47 PM   #13
Badcatalex
I draw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yeah well whatever. I'm still getting a free Oasis out of this. But it was Amazon that made ereading mainstream
Old 07-29-2021, 02:00 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post

I see no mention of eink by Amazon.
The first Kindle was not LCD. It was eInk.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:05 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yeah well whatever. I'm still getting a free Oasis out of this. But it was Amazon that made ereading mainstream
It was Amazon that caused a lot of people to lose access to their eBooks because of DRM. Before eInk Readers, Amazon sold eBooks in MS-Reader, eReader, and PDF. If you needed to update the DRM because you got a new system hard drive or a new computer, you could. That was until Amazon decided to do away with eBooks including purchases.

Congratulations on getting a free Oasis.