Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-05-2022, 09:04 AM   #46
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One other reason for a cover is auto-sleep/wake.
That sounds like something I need for me. A kind of coffin device for me!

------

Remember the cover design for the Pocketbook 360? That was an elegant design/solution that I'd like to see again on smaller ereaders.

One ereader that (for me) is an absolute pleasure to hold without having a cover (although I do own the official one) is the Kobo Libra 2. What I love, however, about that cover is the way it slides on and off with total ease.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-05-2022 at 09:07 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 10:46 AM   #47
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
What are you? Dracula?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2022, 02:54 PM   #48
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
What are you? Dracula?
I'm the other guy - and now with sound.

(Sorry to bother you, but could I borrow your fingernail clippers?)

https://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3...-sound-design/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nosferatu.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	197541  

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-05-2022 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-05-2022, 02:57 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

------

Remember the cover design for the Pocketbook 360? That was an elegant design/solution that I'd like to see again on smaller ereaders.

One ereader that (for me) is an absolute pleasure to hold without having a cover (although I do own the official one) is the Kobo Libra 2. What I love, however, about that cover is the way it slides on and off with total ease.
I have an official cover for my Libra 2. I have a red one. I got it because it was discounted on Amazon and there were no other brand covers out yet.

I wasn't sure if the lines in the origami style case would be an issue for me when holding. It's not and it's good to go. I've used it as a stand twice so far.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 02:59 PM   #50
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I have an official cover for my Libra 2. I have a red one. I got it because it was discounted on Amazon and there were no other brand covers out yet.

I wasn't sure if the lines in the origami style case would be an issue for me when holding. It's not and it's good to go. I've used it as a stand twice so far.
That's exactly the same one, same type, and same color as mine.
Advert
Old 01-23-2023, 10:17 PM   #51
fduniho
Addict
fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, DX, PW4, PW5, Scribe; Likebook Mars; Fire HD 8; iPad
Reading is one of the safest activities

Yes, but throwing an ereader onto my bed or carrying it in a backpack is not quite as safe, though they are safe with a protective cover.

Case covers are annoyingly expensive

Amazon's own cases are annoying expensive, but I just get cheaper ones from ebay.

A dedicated cover can serve only one e-reader model

Since I normally want a case on each of my ereaders, and since I keep older ereaders instead of discarding them, that's not really an issue.

There are not enough dedicated covers for most e-reader models

I mainly get Kindles anyway, and my Likebook Mars came with a cover. But, yes, the case I got for my Nook Simple Touch is not that great.

No cover will make an e-reader feel like a print book

I have no desire for that. I prefer the ergonomics and convenience of an ereader. Before ereaders were invented, I read comic books and magazines more, because they stayed open more easily. With ereaders, I read books more.

A cover doesn’t increase the comfort of reading

My results may not be usual, because I am handicapped, but for me, a good cover makes an ereader easier to hold. My Kindle Touch cover can fold back and be snapped closed, giving my hand a space to easily hold the device. My Paperwhite 5 cover has a strap and a stand, both of which have proven helpful. I usually stick a plastic coat hanger through its strap and hold onto it with that. Even a basic cover like I have for my Likebook Mars can fold back to give me two things to hold onto for better stability.

There are alternatives that can solve similar problems

There is no alternative that combines both the protection and ergonomic benefits of a cover.

If you are looking for protection – choose a sleeve.

A sleeve has no ergonomic benefits.

If you want to securely hold the e-reader – choose a detachable hand strap.

This doesn't protect the device, and I have read reviews of these things damaging the device.

If you want to bring the e-reader to an eye level – choose a stand.

Stands don't provide protection, and only very simple stands are portable.

If you want to comfortably read in bed – choose a pillow stand.

I have one, but I usually don't use it. Also, it doesn't protect the device during transportation.

A case cover is a limitation

With it's current case, I cannot place my Paperwhite 5 in the slot on my lapdesk. But this one limitation is more than made up for by other ways the case helps me hold the device. A good case is a welcome accessory, providing both protection and ergonomic benefits.
fduniho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 12:57 PM   #52
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Covers are part of the excitement and fun. I remember picking - sometimes browsing hours - covers for my paperwhites and getting so into that. Reddit is filled with photos of people's new covers. My friend and I would link our cover choices and show each other in person.

With the Oasis, I use a sleeve as I really like to read it coverless and I loved the design of the sleeve. It is sadly getting scratched and pretty rough now.

Besides just the fun factor that some people get into, it is protective of course
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 01:02 PM   #53
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fduniho View Post
Reading is one of the safest activities

Yes, but throwing an ereader onto my bed or carrying it in a backpack is not quite as safe, though they are safe with a protective cover.

Case covers are annoyingly expensive

Amazon's own cases are annoying expensive, but I just get cheaper ones from ebay.

Right. Cases can make reading some of them easier, but I look for the protectiveness of a case mainly when it comes to travel or when leaving in the house laying around. I have three cats and their little sharp claws have walked on my Oasis when I've sat it down without thinking - the sleeves protects that. I never buy Amazon covers as I don't want an Amazon logo, generally find them less creative, and usually too pricey for me.

Quote:
[B]
No cover will make an e-reader feel like a print book

I have no desire for that. I prefer the ergonomics and convenience of an ereader. Before ereaders were invented, I read comic books and magazines more, because they stayed open more easily. With ereaders, I read books more.

A cover doesn’t increase the comfort of reading

My results may not be usual, because I am handicapped, but for me, a good cover makes an ereader easier to hold. My Kindle Touch cover can fold back and be snapped closed, giving my hand a space to easily hold the device. My Paperwhite 5 cover has a strap and a stand, both of which have proven helpful. I usually stick a plastic coat hanger through its strap and hold onto it with that. Even a basic cover like I have for my Likebook Mars can fold back to give me two things to hold onto for better stability.
Do some people actually think cases would make it feel more like a print book? Odd. Guess it could look more like one with those book display type covers.
I really enjoy the comfort level of cases on paperwhites, so it definitely affects comfort.

Quote:
[B]
If you want to securely hold the e-reader – choose a detachable hand strap.

This doesn't protect the device, and I have read reviews of these things damaging the device.

If you want to bring the e-reader to an eye level – choose a stand.

Stands don't provide protection, and only very simple stands are portable.

If you want to comfortably read in bed – choose a pillow stand.

I have one, but I usually don't use it. Also, it doesn't protect the device during transportation.

Straps are popular but to me they look awful and not something I'm interested in, same with pop sockets. I never had a stand for physical or ebooks as I like reading while holding with the hand and think the idea of a pillow stand or other stand would be awkward and uncomfortable, but of course we're all different.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 02:43 PM   #54
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
Covers are part of the excitement and fun.
This! Not for me personally, but for the young trendy people that I have gifted ereaders. BN had some Nook Kate Spade covers that my daughter absolutely LOVED (bought one dirt cheap on sale when the new model Nook came. This is MANY years ago obvioulsy!).
I prefer reading with the "naked" reader, but I do have covers for both the Tolino and Libra 2 since I tend to hastily throw them in my bag when I realize that the bus has arrived while I was lost in the book and have to run (ok, I don't actually do "run", but I can walk very fast...). At home the reader in use is beside me on the couch where I also drink coffee, snack, fiddle with allsorts of odd things and what have you and I'm afraid I might drop something on it.

Quote:
One other reason for a cover is auto-sleep/wake.
And then there's this too! Love that!

The (relatively cheap) covers I have are not adding a lot to the reader so they don't bother me too much. But quite often I take the reader out of it anyway. The Libra2/Tolino V6 are so pleasant to hold!
Asawi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 11:00 PM   #55
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
The 11th generation Kindle Fire HD 10 (new) was on sale at a 45% discount. I decided to splurge and get a $39 cover (highway robbery). My needs differ from other people, and I use the cover to protect stacks of readers which are undergoing charge cycles. Without covers, the screens may get scratched. By the end of 2023, I should own 15 Kindles of various ages. Plan to write a novel entitled, "The Man With Too Many Kindles".

You think pink suits me? Three of my Kindles are used. Btw, hoarders can't be choosey when they shop ebay.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote