Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
bitemeok
Connoisseur
bitemeok began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Comparing the Pocketbook IQ and the Pocketbook Pro

I'm considering purchasing a Pocketbook for my daughter, and am wondering how these 2 models compare. Obviously the IQ is a lot cheaper and the Pro is larger, but are there additional features on the Pro that justify the additional cost? I have to say that the Pocketbook Web site doesn't seem to convey much information.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
bitemeok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Dunlin's Books has relatively complete descriptions of the IQ and the Pro 902.

The IQ is an Android tablet with a color touch LCD screen.

The 902 is a large E Ink screen ebook Reader, similar in form factor to the Kindle DX (but with less contrast than the DX's Pearl screen). It does not have a touch screen (a Wacom, pen only, touch screen is included on the Pro 903).

The eBook Reader's PocketBook page has a detailed reviews of the IQ and the Pro 602 (6" version, but otherwise like the 902).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
At this point in time, the IQ is a generic Android Webpad; you can surf the web about as good as a netbook, read DRM'ed ebooks from Amazon and Adobe Adept bookstores, play simple games, and even do a bit of document editing. If you work at it, you might even watch movies or listen to music with it. At some point in the near future its native Reader app *might* match the capabilities of its eink brethren. Or not. Its just a promise, for now.

The Pro eink readers have been having their own growing pains but once they get sorted out you'll have a reading-focused device with extreme battery life (weeks instead of hours) and broad DRM-free ebook support plus Adobe Adept DRM-support.

In many ways they are complementary; I have a PB360 and an IQ and I think of the 360 as my paperback reader and the IQ as the hardcover reader. The only overlap is that you can read ebooks on both. So you probably want to decide if you want a computer-like experience or an appliance-like experience, whether you want color and 7-8 hour battery life or grayscale and 3 weeks battery life.

Both seem to be reasonably good products, both have issues due to get settled shortly.
Your call, really.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
bitemeok
Connoisseur
bitemeok began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Thanks for the info--and for the Dulin's link--they also have a good price on the IQ.
bitemeok is offline   Reply With Quote