Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 01-26-2024, 06:24 PM   #3526
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Congrats on Anna K!

Vanity Fair might be my favorite Victorian novel of them all.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 12:38 PM   #3527
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Congrats on Anna K!

Vanity Fair might be my favorite Victorian novel of them all.
No danger of it becoming a favorite for me. It would be greatly improved if I could excise all Thackeray's "humorous" commentary. As it is, I'd rather reread Anna K!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 05:06 PM   #3528
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
No danger of it becoming a favorite for me. It would be greatly improved if I could excise all Thackeray's "humorous" commentary. As it is, I'd rather reread Anna K!
Well, that's a pity, especially since you don't abandon books and it's a long 'un.

I'm listening to two terrific books myself (and it's been a while since I could say that), Empire of Liberty by Gordon S. Wood, a history of the early American republic and The Master by Colm Tóibín, an imagination of Henry James's interior life.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 12:05 PM   #3529
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Well, that's a pity, especially since you don't abandon books and it's a long 'un.
Well, since I have read it before, I do have a loophole, should I choose to use it. But I won't. It's not like some other book is calling to me.
Old 03-01-2024, 09:20 AM   #3530
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Currently listening to The Bee Sting by Paul Murray. I know nothing about the author, but this book being shortlisted for the Booker Prize (and a previous book of his winning the Everyman Wodehouse Prize in 2016) tipped the scales for me to risk the unknown. So far, so funny.
The writing was great, but this thing was just too damn long for its own good. It's basically the same story told multiple times from multiple points of view. I didn't really tire of the multiple retelling aspect, only the sheer length of each. I had to take multiple vacations from this audiobook to recharge a bit. There are five different narrators: three female and two male (very long stretches for each; it's not like they switch for dialogue or anything). The female narrators definitely had the advantage in keeping my interest from waning in this one.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 10:48 AM   #3531
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm most of the way through Richard Powers' Bewilderment. A very near future story of a neurodivergent child and his astrobiologist father, who is recently widowed. Much more digestible than his overly ambitious, not to mention behemoth, The Overstory (though I still enjoyed The Overstory for the most part).

Family, grief and environmental themes.

Narrated by Edoardo Ballerini.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 12:47 PM   #3532
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

After I finally finished Vanity Fair, I followed it up with, of all things, Crime and Punishment--which means that I've read two classic Russian novels this year (the other being Anna Karenina). I liked both of them MUCH better than Vanity Fair.

I abruptly switched gears to true crime; last week I happened to catch a TV movie based on Ann Rule's Bitter Harvest, so I decided to pick up the book, narrated by Cassandra Campbell. It was so much more engrossing and fast-moving than the Russian doorstoppers, but just as depressing!

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations