Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-19-2018, 06:50 PM   #16
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I like Prime Video. I cancelled Netflix in favor of Prime.
Hey, Hey! That's what I am talking about.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:42 PM   #17
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I'm still a Netflix subscriber, but I have to agree with you on their original programming. There are a couple of their original shows that I enjoy, but for the most part I'm not impressed--wish they would go back to where they were before they got on the "original programming" bandwagon!
They can't.
For the same reason Amazon has APub and uses KU to feature Indies: if you are solely a distributor of others' content you are at the mercy of their whims (and conspiracies).

Note that Disney is pulling all their movies and series off Netflix and starting *two* streaming services. WB is also starting their own streaming service later this year. Last year, the CW pulled their shows off Hulu in favor of their own ad-supported free service.

The media companies see Netflix raking in all the money and believe that as owners of the content they should get a bigger cut of the subscription fees. Or all of it.

That is why Amazon has been investing in products they actually control and not merely distribute for others; books, movies, and hardware. The future is not going to be kind to middlemen and the creator-to-consumer chain will not tolerate many links.

Disintermediation is a threat to everybody: Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Fox, WB, AT&T...

The only defense is to own enough of the product to survive. So Disney buys Fox, AT&T buys TimeWarner, and Amazon owns APub and Kindle Unlimited to minimize their exposure to BPH hijinks.

And everybody who can builds a library of exclusive content.
Its a survival requirement.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2018, 08:36 PM   #18
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
They can't.
For the same reason Amazon has APub and uses KU to feature Indies: if you are solely a distributor of others' content you are at the mercy of their whims (and conspiracies).

Note that Disney is pulling all their movies and series off Netflix and starting *two* streaming services. WB is also starting their own streaming service later this year. Last year, the CW pulled their shows off Hulu in favor of their own ad-supported free service.

The media companies see Netflix raking in all the money and believe that as owners of the content they should get a bigger cut of the subscription fees. Or all of it.

That is why Amazon has been investing in products they actually control and not merely distribute for others; books, movies, and hardware. The future is not going to be kind to middlemen and the creator-to-consumer chain will not tolerate many links.

Disintermediation is a threat to everybody: Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Fox, WB, AT&T...

The only defense is to own enough of the product to survive. So Disney buys Fox, AT&T buys TimeWarner, and Amazon owns APub and Kindle Unlimited to minimize their exposure to BPH hijinks.

And everybody who can builds a library of exclusive content.
Its a survival requirement.
I agree, however, if each individual network thinks I'm going to pay for their individual station, they got rocks in their heads. I will stick with whatever Netflix, and Amazon offer.

I'm not about to start paying for several separate monthly fees for all of them!

The only possible exception is Redbox which I am considering.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:44 PM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
I agree, however, if each individual network thinks I'm going to pay for their individual station, they got rocks in their heads. I will stick with whatever Netflix, and Amazon offer.

I'm not about to start paying for several separate monthly fees for all of them!
I agree. Separate fees will end up costing consumers far more money.

The reason I'm not watching the new Star Trek series is because CBS put it on their paid service and I refuse to pay extra beyond cable and Prime Video.

I'll do without rather than succumb to this new paid model.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:57 PM   #20
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:

The reason I'm not watching the new Star Trek series is because CBS put it on their paid service and I refuse to pay extra beyond cable and Prime Video.

PREACH IT!!!!!!

I discovered that I had basically outgrown the regurgitated storylines of ST when I tuned into TNG/Voy which were the last two series of ST I watched.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2018, 09:40 PM   #21
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I may be interested in a Prime shipping only option. I wouldn't use the other benefits.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:47 PM   #22
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:

Yep. I have Amazon Prime (had it since 2005/6 for the shipping benefits), Netflix (early adopter) and HBO Now (when GoT is airing). For content not on Netflix or Amazon, I'd either get them on Blu-ray or not watch at all since I likely won't be aware they exist anyway.

The studios/networks are on crack if they think majority of users would be willing to subscribe to multiple, separate video streaming services.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:49 PM   #23
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
I am paying around US$3~/Month for prime membership. Mostly I got it for Prime Video and 2 hour delivery for groceries. The Petrol and parking meter savings a month make it worth it for me even without the prime video which has very few selections in my country. Though they increased the free order minimum order for Amazon international website if not bought through prime. Buying thorough prime I have to pay in my local currency which for international orders can cost almost 7-8% so I usually don't use prime for much more than weekly groceries.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:22 PM   #24
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:

The only possible exception is Redbox which I am considering.
Disney is going down the road of paywalled streaming but the CW opted for free/ad supported. You don't even need to sign up. Just click and watch. (Judging by the number and size of the advertisers on their top shows they seem to be doing well.) It'll be interesting to see which model WB uses for their upcoming DC Channel.

There's a good chance that the viewer numbers will favor the ad-supported model behind traditional over the air broadcast via regional affiliates since the network would get to keep all the ad revenue instead of having to share it with the cablecos and affiliates.

Me, I have NETFLIX, HULU, and Prime. Plus CW and OTA for local news. Once in a while I'll fire up Crunchyroll (basic).

No cable. Don't miss it.
I'm passing on the CBS streaming service since nothing I've seen suggests it is worth the money. Not interested in the planned Disney services or ESPN+. Very interested in the DC Channel. That's about it.
I don't watch enough TV to sign up for anything else.

I use the free time for reading.

Last edited by fjtorres; 04-19-2018 at 11:35 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:00 AM   #25
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Prime video is terrible. It might improve in the future but it just doesnt have enough content to even be a viable competitor for netflix, hulu etc.
Depends on what you watch and also can depend on your region.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:49 AM   #26
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I make my Prime subscription back each year on 'no rush' digital credits. Which then get spent on ebooks.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:58 AM   #27
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:

You've got that right!

I still watch broadcast TV mostly, old shows on ME TV, MeToo and Cozi. Prime Streaming fills in enough for when I want something different. I've never had cable TV.

I don't use enough of any individual Prime services to justify a subscription. But a few books from the Prime Lending library, a few Movies and TV shows now and then, a few orders with Prime shipping and some of their music. Taken together, Prime ends up the best subscription value for me.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:11 AM   #28
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:

I'd intended to wait until the end of the season, then subscibe for one month to binge watch Discovery. But now that I read about where they've gone with the series, they can keep it. The Orville is more in the old ST spirit, but most of the stories strain my suspension of disbelief too much.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:16 AM   #29
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
ST: Disco claims to be Netflix Original here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I make my Prime subscription back each year on 'no rush' digital credits. Which then get spent on ebooks.
This used to be another good benefit for me, but I just don't buy enough real stuff any more (and the last few times I did I didn't get offered a digital credit.) Their prices don't seem especially competitive any more, either.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:29 AM   #30
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I'm still a Netflix subscriber, but I have to agree with you on their original programming. There are a couple of their original shows that I enjoy, but for the most part I'm not impressed--wish they would go back to where they were before they got on the "original programming" bandwagon!
I definitely agree with that. I had a huge watchlist, most of which has disappeared over the last year or so as Netflix has moved to focus on original content. I'm getting pretty close to pulling the plug on Netflix.

I was not a huge fan of Prime Video. Until recently, I really only found a handful of movies that I didn't already have that I wanted to watch. On the other hand, they have added a lot of older content over the last several months. It's not quite where netflix was, but it's getting a lot better. I've never bothered with Prime music. However I've been a Prime member since the beginning, mostly for the 2 day delivery.

Of course, all this stuff is basically designed to keep you in the Amazon walled garden. I don't have an issue with that, it's good business.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote