Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-24-2016, 07:28 AM   #1
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Spring Cleaning

Here's an easy (I hope) question from a tech-lite user:

I would like to clear out all the side-loaded content in my Kobo Mini and start over. Deleting the books is simple enough, but are there leftover files that could be removed to save memory space? Cover thumbnail images, for example? Where are such images stored, and in general what files are safe to delete?

Many thanks!

C.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:59 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
If you want to do a complete wipe, a factory reset is always an option.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2016, 09:05 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
How are you planning to delete the books? If you do it from the device interface, then it cleans up everything except some files in the directory "Digital Editions". It doesn't delete any empty subdirectories used to store the books.

If you delete the book while connected to the PC, then the device will cleanup after disconnecting fro the PC. The cleanup is the same as deleting through the interface.

If you use calibre, it cleans up everything in the same way as the device. The only extra is that it will remove empty subdirectories when deleting the books and stored cover images.

And yes, if you are really interested in starting again, a factory reset as meeera suggests is the way to go.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:29 AM   #4
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, David. I will connect to the PC and delete the books and the folders I created from there. I'm glad the device will do the rest.

My old NOOKs retain the cover thumbnails, which can gobble a fair amount of memory if you read a lot of books and then delete them.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:30 AM   #5
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
If you want to do a complete wipe, a factory reset is always an option.
Thanks, meeera! I don't think it's time for a factory reset. I'm just fiddling with the collection!
Advert