Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-01-2008, 04:37 AM   #31
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Reading mr, of course, browsing dp, trying not to look aout of the window 'cause the cloud is weeping - and they tell me there's a partial eclipse of the sun today....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:31 AM   #32
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I've just assembled an exercise bicycle from an inadequate diagram. Much swearing ensued. Now I suppose that I'll have to use it.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:59 AM   #33
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I've just assembled an exercise bicycle from an inadequate diagram. Much swearing ensued. Now I suppose that I'll have to use it.
that'll teach you...

(still trying unsuccessfully to imagine patricia swearing. even with the help of squirrels the image remains vague.)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:13 AM   #34
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
that'll teach you...

(still trying unsuccessfully to imagine patricia swearing. even with the help of squirrels the image remains vague.)
I can imagine Patrica swearing in Latin. Unfortunately, I can't imagine the Latin.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:33 AM   #35
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Currently biting into cotton pads to stem the bleeding form having two wisdom teeth out this morning.
Not sure the sedation was strong enough - they said it'd be like being very drunk, and I probably wouldn't remember anything.
Don't feel drunk, and remember quite a lot of cutting, chipping and tugging .

Looking forward to a few days feeling sorry for myself, mooching about doing nothing but reading - my favourite part of feeling poorly .
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:07 AM   #36
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Currently biting into cotton pads to stem the bleeding form having two wisdom teeth out this morning.
Not sure the sedation was strong enough - they said it'd be like being very drunk, and I probably wouldn't remember anything.

Looking forward to a few days feeling sorry for myself, mooching about doing nothing but reading - my favourite part of feeling poorly .
Oh you poor darling! I had that done a couple of years ago. Woke up from sedation with no memory (thank goodness!) of the experience after the nice nurse put an IV in my hand and told me to relax.
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:15 AM   #37
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:

Decades ago, when they took mine out, I do believe they forgot to put the diazepam in the IV (This being before invention of Versed) I remember every bit of it and being unable to talk what with four hands shoved directly in my mouth, I couldn't remind them. Mom was all very solicitous and acted as if I should be about whacked out when she picked me up. At that point, my mouth was so full of coton that I could still not talk. It took two days to get to the point of being able to curse loudly enough to let them know that I was not pleased.

Funny how I didn't go into surgery after that.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:18 AM   #38
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:

currently feeling sorry for sparrow. i remember having my wisdom teeth out (all three of them ; the 4th one never grew, thank heavens). i got a general anesthesia, and it's a good thing too. according to the surgeon, the procedure normally takes only about 15 minutes, but mine took 45. i looked like a squirrel for quite some time afterwards.

little word of advice for you, sparrow (and take it from one who knows) : this is no time to watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail. in fact you should refrain from all laughter-inducing activities for at least the first few days. trust me.

on the other hand, you couldn't imagine a better excuse to eat ice cream all day long. silver lining of the best kind, that, no ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:32 AM   #39
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:

Been there, done that, but at the time, there was just local 'needle type' deadening. And I swear, the man had his feet planted on my shoulders, and both hands on the pliers and pulling for all he was worth. At least it seemed like that. Anyway, hope you are smiling again really soon.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:58 AM   #40
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ahhh! Many thanks to all for the kind wishes .

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
...you couldn't imagine a better excuse to eat ice cream all day long. silver lining of the best kind, that, no ?
Ice cream - thanks Zelda!
I have summoned yoghurt but didn't think of ice cream - I will rectify this inexcusable oversight later today!
Old 08-01-2008, 05:52 PM   #41
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Poor Sparrow. I've had all four wisdom teeth out under local anaesthetic (--I'm a bit frightened by general anaesthetics and avoid them whenever possible). Two were so badly impacted that the dentist panicked and got the senior partner in to help out. It took an hour and a half to get the first one out, in pieces. (I think that I was very brave to let them try the second and subsequent teeth, in later visits.) The others weren't so bad.
If the painkillers work, then good. If they don't then go back and demand something stronger. I needed morphine after the first extraction, but managed with Ponstan for the others. Ice-cream and sorbets might well be comforting. A couple of glasses of wine might be nice too. Expect some annoying bruises which slowly move forward along the jaw and change colour as they move.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:52 PM   #42
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Quote:

Extreme Ouch. My commiserations. I sort of remember recovering; Like ZP I had a general (thankfully -- squemish and coward are words that apply to me). Still I recovered in a few days/week, and it was a darn site better than the infection and pain I was having before. <shudder> Things like that make me glad I live after the likes of Alexander Fleming, James Simpson and many others.

Currently, drinking too much very nice Cloudy Bay Pelorus, watching the Stax Story, as t'other half has just finished a chapter. (Actually, I may have got subject and object mixed up just there; I blame the Pelorus.)
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:28 PM   #43
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
My sympathies, Sparrow!

I had mine out with local anaesthetic only-- I'm kind of phobic about being knocked out. They turned out to be kind of corkscrewed in, which was a little difficult, but not too bad compared to what others have described. I didn't take the codeine they gave me afterward, but I did put powdered goldenseal and myrrh on the gums afterward, which really seemed to help.

(Now when I had my tonsils out at age 21, I did have general anaesthesia and I ended up taking the codeine I had never taken from the wisdom teeth-- every four hours, like clockwork. )
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:10 PM   #44
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:

I hope you are feeling better today, Sparrow!!

I remember when I had my wisdom teeth out. Three the first time and then the fourth many years later.

The first time was a nightmare. I was under general anesthesia ... and that went fine. However, they gave me codeine to take for the pain ... and I didn't know at the time that I was seriously allergic to the stuff. So, naturally, while home all alone, I took some and immediately went into anaphylactic shock. Good times.

Then, years later (maybe 20 or so years later), I heard that the oral surgeon who took out my first three wisdom teeth was arrested for molesting his patients while they were out under general anesthetic.

Oh ... that just made the memory of those few days sooooo much better!! Now, I get to imagine horrible things that probably never happened.

Last edited by RickyMaveety; 08-02-2008 at 01:44 PM.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:31 PM   #45
Sparrow
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I hope you are feeling better today, Sparrow!!
Feeling much better thank you - less sore, but more swollen (luckily the lopsided chipmunk look suits me ).

It looks like I got off lightly judging by what other people have related - glad I read them after I'd been done and not before; I might have chickened out .

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?