Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-08-2018, 09:01 AM   #4726
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I've just noticed I missed a minor milestone a couple of weeks ago: £1000 spent on Kindle books.

It's almost 8 years since I got my first Kindle, so that's really not a huge amount. A little over £10 a month, which is less than I spend on my train fare every single day.

On the other hand, I have only read just over half of that value, so there's about £460 that could have stayed in my pocket.

(My total for all other ebook vendors added together is roughly £175.)
DrNefario is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:33 PM   #4727
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Congratulations.!! I got my first ereader in 2009. My $$ totals are embarrassing and I'm not even counting books I bought for others, so I won't describe that at this point. It was an eye opener when I did a spreadsheet following Paul's comments a while back. I was not surprised by the totals for the audiobooks, but the ebooks - well, that was painfully high. Thus, I have another method to limit my spending. Just look at the total $$ for unread ebooks!

Last edited by Tarana; 08-08-2018 at 04:47 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:55 PM   #4728
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I'm doing much better this month so far. Only 4 books purchased and even resisting sales and new releases. I just feel I gotta read more before I buy more. They'll still be there for me to buy another time. My bank account is relieved too I'm sure.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:08 AM   #4729
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I've just noticed I missed a minor milestone a couple of weeks ago: £1000 spent on Kindle books.

It's almost 8 years since I got my first Kindle, so that's really not a huge amount. A little over £10 a month, which is less than I spend on my train fare every single day.

On the other hand, I have only read just over half of that value, so there's about £460 that could have stayed in my pocket.

(My total for all other ebook vendors added together is roughly £175.)
My Amazon total is around £1180 on 878 books. I'm not sure of the exact total, since some books I'd bought elsewhere and then also at Amazon. Only 319 of them left to read...

And I've done well this month. Six books read so far, and only three bought.

I'm still twelve up on the year, but I have to admit that I'm pleased with pretty much all my purchases this year. So I'm doing better on quality of purchase, even if the quantity still needs work.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:12 AM   #4730
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I'm doing much better this month so far. Only 4 books purchased and even resisting sales and new releases. I just feel I gotta read more before I buy more. They'll still be there for me to buy another time. My bank account is relieved too I'm sure.
Remembering that special offers are likely to come around again helps.

But even with my still excess purchasing, I've only spent £200.05 on books this year. Thats' less than £7 per week. So it's not the money that's the problem for me, it's the feeling that I shouldn't be increasing my pile of unread books.

I do like the fact that I'm now only buying ebooks I really want to read.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:30 AM   #4731
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Remembering that special offers are likely to come around again helps.

But even with my still excess purchasing, I've only spent £200.05 on books this year. Thats' less than £7 per week. So it's not the money that's the problem for me, it's the feeling that I shouldn't be increasing my pile of unread books.

I do like the fact that I'm now only buying ebooks I really want to read.
Yeah, I hear you about the not increasing the unread books. I have over 300 ebooks I purchased from Kobo (and that's not counting the books I got from other stores like Baen) so...I don't really need to add many more, no matter how cheap they are. I'm gonna try real hard to not buy anything until Dec 31st. That book I'll read right away.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:39 PM   #4732
OregonJim
Enthusiast
OregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipedia

Location: Atop a wooded hill in the great piney forest, Oregon
Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
So it's not the money that's the problem for me, it's the feeling that I shouldn't be increasing my pile of unread books.
I got over that feeling years ago when I realized that I already have more books than I could possibly read in my lifetime.

Now I look at it more like building a library. If I see something I want, I only buy it if the price is reasonable, and I expect to read it in the near future. Otherwise, I pass, and am content that I can go to my personal library at any time and find something good to read.

-Jim
OregonJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:44 AM   #4733
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post
I can go to my personal library at any time and find something good to read.
I think this is what hasn't really sunk in for me yet. I've spent so many years when the problem was finding more books to read.

That I now have enough books on hand that I won't run out hasn't yet affected my buying habits as it should.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:48 PM   #4734
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
I think this is what hasn't really sunk in for me yet. I've spent so many years when the problem was finding more books to read.

That I now have enough books on hand that I won't run out hasn't yet affected my buying habits as it should.
I tend to be like this too. Years ago the nearest town with a book store was 90 miles away. Anytime I traveled to a book store I could spend over $200.00 easy on books. They had to hold me over until I could get to another book store.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:37 PM   #4735
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It always helps to identify the problem. You can't control it unless you understand why you are 'overimbibing.' Before ebooks and audiobooks, I just bought the day I was going to start to read something, so I never really had a TBR. In my case, more of my income is being allotted to other unavoidable costs (medical/taxes) so buying will be strangled.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:07 PM   #4736
OregonJim
Enthusiast
OregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipedia

Location: Atop a wooded hill in the great piney forest, Oregon
Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Well, I have more than enough pencils, pens, paper and paints to outlast me, yet I still can't pass up an art store or a stationery store. Sadly, there are no more B&M bookstores in my area. The last one closed in 2010.

We *do* have one used bookstore left. They are so inundated with donations on a daily basis, that most of their new arrivals end up in a row of dumpsters out back due to insufficient storage space. I'm not sure what to make of that.
OregonJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:12 AM   #4737
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

The bottom certainly does seem to have dropped out of the second-hand book market. Perhaps a topic for a new thread.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:16 PM   #4738
Tarana
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post
Well, I have more than enough pencils, pens, paper and paints to outlast me, yet I still can't pass up an art store or a stationery store. Sadly, there are no more B&M bookstores in my area. The last one closed in 2010.
I had to practice only buying what was on my list when I go into the fabric store. Eventually, it worked, but better, not going into the fabric store in the first place really helped a lot (I'm a quilter). I currently only have EQ to let me know about price drops on series that I'm reading. I cancelled all the other email stuff. Helped a lot.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:30 AM   #4739
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
FWIW: I ran across two titles that were the kind of thing I like and nicely priced at Amazon (less so at Kobo). I considered my options on and off, Amazon, maybe price-matching at Kobo, using some Google Play credit, likelihood of the price going up and when.... And after a couple of days I was able to back off. I don't need them, don't want them enough, I've got other books to read.

This has been the big lesson learned for me. Slow down! Most wants go away or at least become more manageable after that first jolt of lust.

The other lesson that I'm still working on is that looking is a bad idea. What got me started were those bonus gift points from Kobo. I knew it wasn't worth the time as the odds of my finding something I wanted were slim and indeed I didn't. (Free books aren't free.) Worse, the search turned up the lustibles that I referred to above. But at least I managed to resist in the long run, although I can't get the time I wasted back.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 11:40 AM   #4740
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
^^I really, really should know better than to post in order to pat myself on the back. It's as if I'm begging the universe to trip me up; the universe obliged. Within 12 hours of the above I got an email from ereaderiq to tell me of four wishlist books that had dropped in price. Well, one must, in that instance. Right? But August is shaping up to be my worst month yet this year and by a long shot - I've spent nearly as much in August alone as in the first seven months of the year.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote