Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-02-2010, 04:06 PM   #31
Isherwood
Isherwood is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
It took a while to find the exact setup for the new plugboard system to handle multiple authors on the Kindle so I thought I would post it here for anyone else wanting it.

1. Set the MOBI output 'use author sort for author' flag to checked.

2. Create a plugboard "mobi, any device' (since there isn't a kindle 3 option here, i needed any device)

3. Enter this text in the right side field: {author_sort:re(\s\&\s,}
(after the comma is a semi-colon and a right-paren, the webpage is showing it as a smilie and I don't see how to disable that formatting)

4. Set destination field combobox to 'author_sort'

5. Push the file to the Kindle

6. You may have to reboot the kindle to see the changes. (home, menu, settings, menu, restart)

This will convert "LN1, FN1 & LN2, FN2" to "LN1, FN1;LN2, FN2" which the Kindle will display as "FN1 LN1 and FN2 LN2"

Last edited by Isherwood; 10-02-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Isherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:37 PM   #32
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isherwood View Post
2. Create a plugboard "mobi, any device' (since there isn't a kindle 3 option here, i needed any device)
Kindle 3 and Kindle 2 use the same interface.

You can use preferences -> advanced -> Miscellaneous -> debug device detection to see what name calibre uses for your reader.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2010, 04:43 PM   #33
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
@isherwood: it might help others if you post your solution to this thread. I hope it will become a place to find solutions to common, or not so common, problems.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:41 PM   #34
Scott Nielsen
Groupie
Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: iPad, K3, K4, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixx View Post
Can you please confirm that

1) your options/Output/MObi/Box at "use author sort order" is checked
2) you have a plugboard that maps author_sort --> author_sort

and then you have a correct SORT but not the desired display on the Kindle. As I said, I'd be happy with that. I'll never be a Python expert, but would like to use Calibre.
I'm not entirely sure... I was going back and forth so many times over all of these options and I can't quite recall now which combo did what (my wife left for a business trip yesterday night and sadly she confiscated my K3 so I can't test just now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixx View Post
BTW: on my system in the plugboard panel there is no Kindle 3 option (only Kindle, Kindle 2 and DX). I picked "any device" and any format.
I used Kindle 2 (it's the same as for K3) in all my tests yesterday.
Scott Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:40 PM   #35
Mixx
Zealot
Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
OK, I did quite a bit trial and error and found that if
  1. the options/output/Mobi/"use author sort order" is checked
  2. a plugboard that maps {author_sort} --> authors is set up

then the Kindle sorts on Lastname but displays "Firstname Lastname". By now, I'd be very happy with that solution.

However: I also notice that if a book was already in a Collection on the Kindle before one sets the aboue settings and pushes the metadata new, then the collection is not updated, i.e. will still sort incorrectly. I had to manually update the collections by taking each book out and in again (best done inside the collection with the multiple books add facility, every check mark needs to be taken off and put on again).

Isn't this depressing?

Regards, Mixx

Last edited by Mixx; 10-03-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Mixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 10:20 PM   #36
DarkLaguna
VERITAS
DarkLaguna began at the beginning.

Hi guys. My first post here. Just got the Kindle 3 two days ago, and the library is growing.
I had similar concerns regarding the FN LN author configuration, and the final verdict I found out is,
  • Adding the file metadata's Author in the LN, FN format (lame); OR
  • Using Author sort in LN, FN format, and checking the "use Author Sort as Author", OR
  • Using a plugboard mapping {author_sort} --> author

ANY method of the above will result in your mobi metadata on the kindle to have the FN LN configuration, with ordering by LN.

Also, As Chaley pointed out, you can use the
Quote:
{author_sort:re(\,,:)} ---> authors
will get you the LN : FN configuration on your kindle.

Personally, I use a "Last Name, First Letter" configuration as my author sort (eg. Huxley, A.) then when I push the file to the kindle having before-mentioned plugboard, but with a space instead of the colon, I get the
Quote:
Huxley A.
output, and my files are arranged perfectly.

As a side note, thanks for this amazing forum, amazing members, and amazing community :D
DarkLaguna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:31 AM   #37
wasja79
wasja79 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Author sorts of translated books

Many thanks for great solutions @Isherwood and @DarkLaguna !
I have a problem with metadata respectively Kindle sort of translated books:

Author: Том ДеМарко (Tom DeMarco) & Тимоти Листер (Timothy Lister)
Author Sort: ДеМарко, Том & Листер, Тимоти

If I use Author --> author, then I can search by author (latin characters), but Kindle sort is by FN;
If I use Author Sort --> author, then Kindle sort is by LN, but I can't search by author (latin characters).

I would like to have both ...

Have you any idea ?...

Regards, Wasja
wasja79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:15 PM   #38
carlyman
carlyman began at the beginning.

Perhaps this is best asked in a new thread, but is there a way to have the MOBI metadata refreshed/updated when downloading from the content server like it is when you use the main program to transfer to device.

In particular, this addresses sorting by author_sort when enabled in the options (as described in this thread).

If this is not possible, will I just need to convert MOBI -> MOBI with author_sort enabled so that it works when using the content server?

Thanks,
JC
carlyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:58 PM   #39
hatman
hatman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Sorry for digging up this ancient thread but I'm having problems with Calibre and Kindle 4's author sort and I have tried to get it to work for hours and hours without success. It seems that whatever I try, only books converted to mobi sort by last name on K4. I've set 'use author sort for author' on, but I have tried different combinations with different plugboards.

Could someone be so kind as to provide me with step by step instructions to automatically get books sorted on last names, even if the source file is mobi, too? I have tried to do it especially by Isherwood's instructions.

I'm aiming for automation because I'm setting up the Kindle for my mom, who's certainly not technically inclined. Otherwise I'd be fine with manually setting 'authors' in Calibre as "LN, FN".
hatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:27 PM   #40
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Just setting "use author sort for author" by itself should do it...

You say you have done so, and then MOBI books get sent with "FN LN", but if you set author in calibre to "LN, FN" they get sent properly?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:21 AM   #41
hatman
hatman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Good to hear, even though my experience hasn't been the same. But of course I might have overlooked something.

During my attempts, the Kindle has always shown authors as "FN LN", but only books I've converted with Calibre sort by LN. If I e.g. download a mobi from Gutenberg project and transfer it via Calibre, then it sorts by FN.

Edit: I tried the 'Use Author sort for Author' with a completely new book and it worked! I guess the metadata somehow didn't update with my previous efforts, even though I did always try to delete and resend the book after any changes.

E2: Okay I think I grasped it but correct me if I'm wrong: just set the 'use author sort for author' option enabled and Kindle will sort most of the books by last name. The books sorted by first name have to be reconverted to mobi (because they had the metadata in a format calibre can't edit).

Last edited by hatman; 05-16-2014 at 07:12 PM.
hatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:19 PM   #42
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
At this point I gave up and tossed my changes into the trash can. Going further isn't worth anything to me, because the only program I have that cares undoes the work. Perhaps the real Kindle behaves differently? I have no idea, but Isherwood's post strongly implies that it converts Blogs, Joe to Joe Blogs. If so, I don't see the point of using author_sort instead of author.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Out of curiosity, if the kindle is given 'Last, First', is there no way to make it display Last, First? It switching them back to First Last would drive me crazy. I went to a lot of trouble to ensure all authors in my library are entered Last, First, and I want to see them that way. Hmmm... perhaps *this* is why someone asked for a tweak to compute author_sort values without the comma, as in 'Last First'.
The real Kindle also turns names around if there is a comma in there.

'Dickens, Charles' will be displayed as "Charles Dickens", but sorted on the last name. I fracking HATE that. I am used to having my books sorted in "Lastname, Firstname" configuration, and I do so in calibre. To get the Kindle to do it (as close as possible), I use a plugboard to replace the comma and space with an underscore. Then the Kindle doesn't turn the name around; it will be "Dickens_Charles", sorted on Dickens.

The plugboard (which also puts the series after the author's name, instead of in front of the title):

Code:
{author_sort:re(\, ,_)} {series:|(|} {series_index:0>2s||)}

Last edited by Katsunami; 05-10-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:39 PM   #43
Moskyt
Moskyt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
To display authors in Kindle as "Dickens Charles" and sort them on the last name, update the metadata field 100 (Author) with "Dickens Charles," just put the comma at the end, simple as that.

You can easily change metadata field with
Java Mobi Metadata Editor
(seems there is a small bug, so after changing Author field, click to different field before save)
Moskyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:56 PM   #44
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskyt View Post
To display authors in Kindle as "Dickens Charles" and sort them on the last name, update the metadata field 100 (Author) with "Dickens Charles," just put the comma at the end, simple as that.

You can easily change metadata field with
Java Mobi Metadata Editor
(seems there is a small bug, so after changing Author field, click to different field before save)
Or just use calibre with the author_sort tweak. As chaley mentioned.

ALlo, comma at the end does nothing. Just remove the one that is there.

By all means, edit each MOBI/AZW3 file by hand, if that floats your boat.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote