Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-28-2010, 01:52 PM   #16
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
I am trying to do as suggested and tell my Calibre library to save into a different location that it is currently. Unfortunately, I'm not finding where, within the GUI, I can tell it to do that. Where do I go?
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:52 PM   #17
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
It would be interesting to find out what has happened. You are quite right, this seems very strange.

Something is very, very wrong. I believe that the next thing to test is to uninstall and delete everything relating to Calibre and then start from scratch.

Either your computer is f****p or you have somehow inadvertently corrupted the Calibre Library and/or the meta data database.

Caliber is perfectly able to sort on Author, unless it has been broken.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 01:56 PM   #18
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Click on the icon with the books. In the middle top.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:58 PM   #19
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merischino View Post
Done. PM Sent. Thank you for the offer!
No file was attached - read my PM reply.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:00 PM   #20
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
It would be interesting to find out what has happened. You are quite right, this seems very strange.

Something is very, very wrong. I believe that the next thing to test is to uninstall and delete everything relating to Calibre and then start from scratch.
It is strange, but I can tell a lot from looking at the metadata.db file. I wouldn't uninstall and delete just yet.
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 02:21 PM   #21
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Metadata.db file

ok. I don't find an option to attach afile either to a PM or to a post in this website. So, I am going to figure out the upload/fileshare/rapidshare whatever site it ends up being, and report back here.

Here's the link to the file:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/dt21yv...45/metadata.db

This is the current metadata after changing/moving the database to a new location.

Last edited by Merischino; 07-28-2010 at 02:30 PM. Reason: added link to where the file can be downloaded.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:23 PM   #22
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
ok. I don't find an option to attach afile ... to a post in this website.
Use the Advanced button on a reply and the "Additional Options" to "Manage Attachments" - You will need to zip or rar the file.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:29 PM   #23
Pagali
Enthusiast
Pagali is on a distinguished road

Device: PC, Nexus 7 2013, Nexus 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
-- in fact, I've had to turn off making collections from series as it caused the number of collections to get way out of hand.
Sorry to digress from the OP's problem, but... how do you do that? I'm loading books onto a Sony Reader PRS600, and I'd rather not have the series showing up there as collections.
Pagali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:20 PM   #24
Rachel
Zealot
Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs505, kindle, ithing
I had this problem until two days ago, when I realised that although I had been tidying the author field when editing meta data, I had neglected the author sort field. Once I cottoned on - it was a lot of hard work to clean because there were a number of unknowns, or first name rather than surname first, titles in the field, etc etc, but now I can sort my books beautifully based on the author. Now, I'm not suggesting you're as dense as me - but have you checked what is in that field?
Rachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:22 PM   #25
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:

This is the current metadata after changing/moving the database to a new location.
FYI, I almost didn't see this. When you edit a post, it doesn't show up as new.

OK, your metadata.db seems to sort fine for me, but it may be confusing you.
First, remember that author sorting is not by what is in the author field, but what is in the author_sort field
If I sort in ascending order, Aesop is first, and J.R.R. Tolkien is last. Aesop is in the author sort field for the first, and Tolkien, J.R.R. is in that field for the last. (If I reverse sort, Tolkien is first, and Aesop is last.)

After "Aesop" comes "Norton, Andre." The content of author_sort is "Andre, Norton" and Andre comes after Aesop, as it should.

You seem to be entering authors as lastname, firstname. This gets reversed automatically in the author_sort field to firstname, lastname, so it's sorting by firstname for most authors.

Is that what you are seeing?

If you are using Lastname, Firstname, you need to use the Tweak settings to control the author_sort field.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:24 PM   #26
Merischino
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
I had this problem until two days ago, when I realised that although I had been tidying the author field when editing meta data, I had neglected the author sort field. Once I cottoned on - it was a lot of hard work to clean because there were a number of unknowns, or first name rather than surname first, titles in the field, etc etc, but now I can sort my books beautifully based on the author. Now, I'm not suggesting you're as dense as me - but have you checked what is in that field?
Yes. As I've stated in many posts throughout this thread, I have corrected and standardized the data in both the "author" and the "author-sort" fields.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:24 PM   #27
Merischino
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Use the Advanced button on a reply and the "Additional Options" to "Manage Attachments" - You will need to zip or rar the file.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/dt21yv...45/metadata.db

Old 07-28-2010, 03:27 PM   #28
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
I had this problem until two days ago, when I realised that although I had been tidying the author field when editing meta data, I had neglected the author sort field....Now, I'm not suggesting you're as dense as me - but have you checked what is in that field?
The first post does say:
Quote:
Re-entering/correcting the "author sort" field doesn't [fix] it.
Still, it works for me.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:29 PM   #29
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Yes. As I've stated in many posts throughout this thread, I have corrected and standardized the data in both the "author" and the "author-sort" fields.
Let's compare sort order then. What is the first book when you sort by author?
Old 07-28-2010, 03:33 PM   #30
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Let's compare sort order then. What is the first book when you sort by author?
For reference, using your db, they go:

Aesop
McCaffrey, Anne (author_sort is "Anne, McCaffrey" - sorts under Anne)
Asimov, Isaac (author_sort is "Asimov, Isaac" - sorts under Asimov)
Michele Batho (author_sort is "Batho , Michele" - sorts under Batho)

Last edited by Starson17; 07-28-2010 at 03:45 PM.