Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-09-2014, 10:03 PM   #1
adrenaline
Enthusiast
adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, KPW2
Highlighting text in Calibre?

Hello fellow Calibre users,

Afaik, there's no way to highlight text in Calibre. Am I right?

Is there a comparable ePub/AZW3 reader that can let me highlight text and save it? I wish there was a Windows version of Moon+ Reader Pro for PCs.. :-/

Also when reading a book using Calibre, I used to use "Right Arrow" key for moving to the next page and "Left Arrow" key for the previous page and currently they don't seem to work..

Should I set them up in "Settings". I don't like the page turns using "Page Up" and "Page Down" keys

Thanks so much for your time..

Last edited by adrenaline; 10-09-2014 at 10:06 PM.
adrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:39 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
It is easy to 'Highlight' text in the book viewer.
It is doing something with that highlight.

You can copy
You can Google
You can Bookmark

I suspect you want some sort of annotation feature?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2014, 12:23 AM   #3
adrenaline
Enthusiast
adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Thanks td. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Like using a highlighter to highlight important text.

Adobe Acrobat lets me do this to a PDF (Yellow highlighting) and save the file just like how it looks now:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sample.pdf (220.7 KB, 1112 views)

Last edited by adrenaline; 10-13-2014 at 12:15 AM.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:46 AM   #4
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
You can not do it (yet) on-the-fly in the viewer, but you can do it in "edit book" via option "change background color". I use it to make permanent markings in book texts.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:46 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenaline View Post
Also when reading a book using Calibre, I used to use "Right Arrow" key for moving to the next page and "Left Arrow" key for the previous page and currently they don't seem to work.
@adrenaline - they should work after you click Name:  scroll.png
Views: 25174
Size:  1.6 KB in top right corner

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2014, 12:11 AM   #6
adrenaline
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
You can not do it (yet) on-the-fly in the viewer, but you can do it in "edit book" via option "change background color". I use it to make permanent markings in book texts.
Just tried it.. Gosh, it's not as easy as I had thought

For PDFs, I usually highlight and save the text and re-read just those for exams..

Would love to have this functionality for ePub and AZW3. Any ideas, any alternative programs, anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@adrenaline - they should work after you click Attachment 129452 in top right corner

BR
Perfecto! Thanks BR

Last edited by adrenaline; 10-13-2014 at 12:16 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:36 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenaline View Post
For PDFs, I usually highlight and save the text and re-read just those for exams...
@adrenaline - Its for this reason that many people continue to use PDF for reference and study books. I have a number of different readers on my desktop and Android tablet, that show highlights, callouts and comments etc irrespective of where I enter them.

One of the advantages one often gets from de-facto standards set by dominant industry player(s) is interoperability - i.e. whatever Adobe does, the rest follow.

BR
Old 03-06-2018, 09:34 PM   #8
sdspieg
Connoisseur
sdspieg began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Kindle 3
SO is there still no way to annotate excerpts - and preferably also then extract them with some reference point?
sdspieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:33 AM   #9
Angel Crawford
Enthusiast
Angel Crawford began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Touch HD 3
Is this a Idea? https://github.com/whacked/calibre-viewer-annotation
Angel Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 04:39 PM   #10
Hitesh1
Enthusiast
Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C; Kindle Paperwhite 2018
(first result on google so replying here)
I would love to have native support for this feature. Seems crucial with so many textbooks being released in epub format.
I think in the meantime, I'll switch to using pdfs on foxit reader.
Hitesh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 04:45 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Annotations are on Kovid's TODO list for the new viewer. I think he's already worked out how he will implement.

BR
Old 10-29-2019, 10:05 AM   #12
BellaMc
BellaMc began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air & iMac 5k
Quote:
Annotations are on Kovid's TODO list for the new viewer. I think he's already worked out how he will implement.

BR
Until he does, I'm no longer Donating$. Highlighting text and being able to make annotations, are basic features in standard eReaders. If Marvin3 can do it; Calibre should have done it years ago. I thought Marvin and Calibre were creations of the same folks anyway??
BellaMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 06:00 PM   #13
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
How often did you donate before this? Not asking how much, but how frequently? I'm asking because I've often wondered if people give once and call that good enough or if they give a little bit here and there when they find something they like.
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 01:20 AM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaMc View Post
Until he does, I'm no longer Donating$. Highlighting text and being able to make annotations, are basic features in standard eReaders. If Marvin3 can do it; Calibre should have done it years ago.
Donate, don't donate, no one cares. No need to throw a minor fit, until calibre meets your needs for ereading use something else.

FYI, Marvin 3 is an ereader, Calibre is an ebook management tool with over a million lines of code. What calibre is able to do is amazing. Now that the same ereader is essentially used for the desktop and the web it makes sense to move ahead and improve the ereader section of calibre. Prior to this change the web and the desktop were completely different beasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaMc View Post
I thought Marvin and Calibre were creations of the same folks anyway??
You thought wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
How often did you donate before this? Not asking how much, but how frequently? I'm asking because I've often wondered if people give once and call that good enough or if they give a little bit here and there when they find something they like.
I can't speak for others, but for about the last year I have donated $2 a month using Patreon. There are many ways to donate to Calibre. Patreon is just the way I chose to support this project.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-30-2019 at 01:24 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:35 PM   #15
mva1985
Enthusiast
mva1985 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Glowlight, Nook HD
Quote:

BR
Sweet... this is good to know
mva1985 is offline   Reply With Quote