Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-21-2016, 01:43 AM   #76
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, you do not understand this thread correctly. You dont need to use gmail or gmx. You need to use some email provider that has not been blacklisted by amazon. You like Microsoft, use hotmail/live mail/whatever they renamed it to this year.

Or better yet stop being at the mercy of amazon for your book delivery and setup the calibre content server to download books directly onto the device.

Once again, there is a perfectly clear FAQ entry on this, that has existed for years, that explains all the issues with email delivery. Read it.

And incidentally, being worried about the privacy of an email service provider you use to send books to Amazon's servers -- the corporation that has the most to gain from knowing what books you read, is absurd.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:40 AM   #77
Gavnone
Gavnone began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite

Dr. Goyal:

I have no desire to get into a disagreement with you about this, I won't be coming back to this forum.

As an aside, I just finished reading your paper "Topological Cluster State Quantum Computing" - I found it quite interesting.
Gavnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:29 AM   #78
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
Really, Gavnone? Kovid takes the time to give you an answer. Unfortunately, it appears that his answer (which provided multiple options) was not the answer that you wanted. So you're going to go home and pout and never return?

I usually try not to get into these sorts of discussions, but your post was the first thing I read this morning and it got me ... um ... anyway. I read your post to my teenagers this morning. My daughter asked why you were so passive aggressive and I didn't have a good answer for her. How about thanking Kovid for creating a great program and for taking the time to try to address your concerns?

Ok. Done venting. It's been that kind of week.
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:32 AM   #79
jones99
jones99 has learned how to read e-booksjones99 has learned how to read e-booksjones99 has learned how to read e-booksjones99 has learned how to read e-booksjones99 has learned how to read e-booksjones99 has learned how to read e-booksjones99 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
Amazon is blocking files based on meta-data

I've been having this problem. I've even tried just sending mobi files as a gmail attachment. This has always worked in the past but now it fails as well.

I've found that editing the meta data in the mobi file and removing all "calibre" references prior to sending the attachment is successful.

I used this program to edit the mobi file:

http://jarrin.net/MOBIeditor

The only conclusion I can come to is that Amazon is blocking files based on the meta-data. To restore the email functionality to Calibre the format conversion needs to stop adding "calibre" to the meta data or at least make it optional.

Cheers.
jones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:59 AM   #80
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
jones99,

So are you saying to delete every instance of calibre in the following example, save it, then use gmail or whatever service you like to email via @kindle.com?

Is any info in the contributor field needed?

And delete calibre in the source field too?
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:05 PM   #81
rosemaryknits
rosemaryknits began at the beginning.

Device: paperwhite
I have not read all of the posts in this thread, so forgive me if I am posting something which you already know....

I was so frustrated that I couldn't send email any more. I set up my email just like the developer of calibre suggested - through GMX. So, I just tried to go to the gmx site and send straight from there. The gmx email has new permissions and would not let me use it unless I clicked "yes," so I did, and voila - it is back to working.

The problem is not with Calibre. The problem is with GMX. If you use gmx as your email with calibre, then go to the gmx site and you can fix it. This change began Sept 1, 2016. It is now working perfectly, again! yay!

Rosemary
rosemaryknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 04:08 AM   #82
JimmyRompeolas
JimmyRompeolas began at the beginning.

Another possible solution

Hi there!

First of all, thanks to Mr. Goyal for creating such an incredibly useful tool.

Second, I registered only to contribute with the solution to the problem in MY particular case. I was too sending emails using GMX without problems, and as "rosemaryknits" you will have to accept the new TOS as of September 1st.

Even though I accepted them, I could still not use GMX and got a "invalid credentials" error message. To solve this, you must make sure you have enabled "GMX via POP3 & IMAP". Go to the GMX webmail, then "settings", then "POP3 and IMAP" and inside the "GMX via POP3 & IMAP" section, check the "Send and receive emails via external program (Outlook, Thunderbird)".

I hope this helps someone.
JimmyRompeolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 03:36 PM   #83
Fr0sT
Fr0sT began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
It must be something related to calibre...

Hi everyone, I might have a different situation than many of you, but the same symptom.

I cannot email from calibre to my @kindle.com account and have the book arrive using my work email server and account. I CAN email from outlook to my @kindle.com account and have the book arrive fine using my work email server and account.

I confirmed that everything is identical in email setup on both calibre and outlook. Ie. the correct username, from email address, sending email server, port and encryption.

From Calibre, It appears to send fine, ends with an SMTP session successful message on our email server logs, but amazon doesn't allow the file through for whatever reason, possibly it can determine based on the email header that its being sent from calibre? I don't know.

I created a GMX account a couple days ago, accepted the updated TOU and added it to calibre, sent about 10 books total (i have 20 friends i share books with) fine... then sent 4 more today that went fine and on the 5th one it started failing and hasn't worked again since. says the kindle.com email addresses are locked (like they are open in another device in pop mode), but for any kindle.com address i try it gives that error. I dont want to use a gmx account or google for that matter as i have to get everyone to add another safe sender account and most of these people are NOT tech savvy at all and its a pita! also, i'm dependant on someone elses servers to work for me to send out stuff.. when i have access to our own email server thats been up and running for 15 years, has all the vbr, spf, etc certs and configurations all set.. plus i don't have to worry about my server tagging my emails as spam if i want to send 20 in 15 minutes.

i setup the calibre shared server, but its really not terribly user friendly for non techy people, and i didn't see a way to get it to automatically convert files into compatible formats for the browsing device.. IE convert an epub auto to mobi if the browsing device is a kindle. i don't want to have to do any of that, when emailing used to work fine.

Anything else anyone can think of me trying?

EDIT: Incidentally, the error i get when using my GMX account (that worked fine yesterday and this morning) is retcode (550); Msg: requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable Failure sending mail. Try again later.

I can login to my GMX account fine via the web interface fine, i also confirmed that gmx is still allowing the account to be used via pop/imap.

EDIT: GMX must have just been having issues (a reason i don't want to use a 3rd party account), seems to be working now using GMX.

EDIT: GRRRRRR GMX Worked for 3 books then has since stopped working again with the same error as before

Last edited by Fr0sT; 11-11-2016 at 11:02 AM. Reason: additional details
Fr0sT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 11:49 AM   #84
Ballaterboy
Ballaterboy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
Found the easiest way around was to create a Folder in Dropbox called "Calibre Transfer"

Sent my book (in MOBI FORMAT). via Save to Disc

Pretty instant.

Opened up Dropbox in my iPad. Loads but says there's no preview. Top right of screen 3 dots gives you a drop down menu

Select Export. Select ibooks if it's an epub or Kindle reader if it's a Mobi

Should do it. Bit longer than before but works without you having to change any email settings.
Ballaterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:42 PM   #85
shopsis
shopsis began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyKindle View Post
This worked for me too, thanks!

For those who are giving this a shot, it took a little under 5 minutes for the "job" to be completed so this method may take a bit longer than you are used to.

I found a workaround by using the default email app on the laptop to send books to my kindle.com email. I just highlighted the book I wanted to send, chose "Click Path," right-clicked the eBook file in the box that popped up and chose the "Send To -> Mail Recipient" option. It took around 5 minutes for books to appear in the Docs tab of my Amazon Content folder.
This worked for me too. I did not have to give G-mail permission to accept mail from "less secure apps".

Thanks, adoresreading!
shopsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:13 AM   #86
Ballaterboy
Ballaterboy began at the beginning.

Problem Solved

Thanks to Kovid and MSWallack in particular finally got it working the way it should. Not totally computer literate but persistent and I do get there. Instead of having a rant (unlike some posts) and saying its no good and not listening to the guys you are asking for advice I just try things and eventually the penny drops.
In my case, if its any help, in Preferences under Email Sharing I took my BT Mail Settings and entered them in the boxes at the bottom. Googled for the correct Outgoing Port settings and Host name . Ticked SSL

Sent book using *****@kindle.com (as set up under Amazon)

Worked fine. No need for a Dropbox workaround.
Ballaterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 01:59 PM   #87
johnnemac
johnnemac began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by adoresReading View Post
I think I figured it out! This is what worked for me (using Calibre and gmail):

In Calibre go to "Preferences" > "Sharing books by email" :

In the "Send email from box:" make sure your entire gmail address is appearing

In the Mail Server section, fill in the following:

Hostname: smtp.gmail.com Port: 465
Username: (place your entire gmail address here)
Password: (place your gmail's password here)
Encryption: (pick SSL)

(Interestingly, these options were blank when I went in to do the above. Not sure why they were blank as I know I filled them in a few years ago. So somehow, they got "blanked out" recently.)

Secondly, you WILL have to set your gmail account settings to "Allow access for less secure apps". See this link: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255 read if you want (I wanted to which is why I added this link first) and the you will find a link to access your account settings there. Or if you don't care about the first link, you can go directly to the applicable account setting here: https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps (make sure "Turn on" is selected).

That's it! You can now use your gmail again if you changed the above settings in Calibre and the one setting in your gmail account. Fingers and toes crossed for anyone in this situation. It worked for me and it worked for my father who also suddenly became afflicted with this error. And he lives hundreds of miles from me.
Thanks, works perfectly!
johnnemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:32 AM   #88
grifforama
grifforama began at the beginning.

I'm using GMX and it's STILL not sending books.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\wizard\send_email.py", line 203, in test_email_settings
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 147, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtplib.py", line 334, in connect
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtplib.py", line 309, in _get_socket
File "socket.py", line 571, in create_connection
error: [Errno 10060] A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond

Log:
connect: (u'mail.gmx.com', 587)
connect: (u'mail.gmx.com', 587)
grifforama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:21 AM   #89
astray
astray began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoresReading View Post
I think I figured it out! This is what worked for me (using Calibre and gmail):

In Calibre go to "Preferences" > "Sharing books by email" :

In the "Send email from box:" make sure your entire gmail address is appearing

In the Mail Server section, fill in the following:

Hostname: smtp.gmail.com Port: 465
Username: (place your entire gmail address here)
Password: (place your gmail's password here)
Encryption: (pick SSL)

(Interestingly, these options were blank when I went in to do the above. Not sure why they were blank as I know I filled them in a few years ago. So somehow, they got "blanked out" recently.)

Secondly, you WILL have to set your gmail account settings to "Allow access for less secure apps". See this link: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255 read if you want (I wanted to which is why I added this link first) and the you will find a link to access your account settings there. Or if you don't care about the first link, you can go directly to the applicable account setting here: https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps (make sure "Turn on" is selected).

That's it! You can now use your gmail again if you changed the above settings in Calibre and the one setting in your gmail account. Fingers and toes crossed for anyone in this situation. It worked for me and it worked for my father who also suddenly became afflicted with this error. And he lives hundreds of miles from me.

Hi! Was unable to mail a mobi to my kindle account and Google brought me here to this informative thread.

Solution from @adoresReading works well, but I was hesitant to allow Gmail to accept authorisation from "less secure apps". And I didn't want to create an account with GMX.

So I used an iCloud.com/me.com account, also creating an app-specific password to allow Calibre access. Follow this apple documentation to retrieve iCloud smtp settings: https://support.apple.com/en-sg/HT202304

Another step (that became obvious on hindsight) is to allow your Amazon kindle email to accept mails from your email address.

Amazon > Manage Your Content and Devices > Settings > ...
Scroll down to "Personal Document Settings" > "Approved Personal Document E-mail List" > ...

Add your email of choice in there Hope this helps!
astray is offline   Reply With Quote