Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-17-2014, 08:25 AM   #46
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
For FW 3.5.0. Don't use it with other FW versions.

Usage:
  • extract the content of the archive into a folder on your pc
  • double click on 3.5.0.bat
  • copy the newly created KoboRoot.tgz, which you will find in the folder 3.5.0_target, to the .kobo folder on your device.
Take this to be an emergency release. There changed several things in the code, and I will not find the time to investigate it for some time. Note that:
  • nothing concerned with annotations is covered by this patch package
  • I did not test the results, since I do not have my device at hand (EDIT: I have tested it now. I chose a to small font size for the Dictionary [Gothic version] even for the Touch.)

Originally, I used the files of the mark 5 packages for this patch, since I was not aware that the nickel of the mark 5 package differs from and is slightly newer as the version of the mark 4 package. I think there is no harm in using the mark 5 nickel together with the other files of the mark 4 FW, as I an doing now since a while. Anyway, I added a version for mark 4 too.
After some consideration, I added another package (KBPatcher08_3.5.0_inc30.zip) that covers more than the other two packages. The effect is similar to the one with the pre-.patched file that I provided for FW 3.0.1, cf. this post.(I used again nickel of the mark 5 FW. But this should not be a problem.)

New: I added a version for the patcher maintained by GeoffR. It is based on the mark 4 FW. For some details, see this post.

As always, owners of devices different from Touch, especially of Aura HD, will have to modify the patch files partially.

USE THIS PACKAGE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Attached Files
File Type: zip KBPatcher08_3.5.0.zip (10.65 MB, 397 views)
File Type: zip KBPatcher08_3.5.0_mark4.zip (10.65 MB, 358 views)
File Type: zip KBPatcher08_3.5.0_inc30.zip (10.70 MB, 383 views)
File Type: zip 350_mfbe_mark4_MZstyle.zip (35.7 KB, 391 views)

Last edited by tshering; 08-06-2014 at 12:49 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:46 AM   #47
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
The best!
Thanks!
surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2014, 01:53 PM   #48
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It works well with the HD aura 3.5.0, but it should reduce the font size of the foot

Quote:
newpart=[qApp_deviceCodeName="dragon"] {\n\tfont-size: 20px;\n}\n\n
and increase the font size of the dictionary

Quote:
newpart=* { font-family: A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N;font-size: 36px; line-height: 42px; }\n

Last edited by surquizu; 07-18-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:48 PM   #49
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@surquizu Thank you for sharing your prefered values!
Old 07-22-2014, 08:01 AM   #50
surquizu
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
@surquizu Thank you for sharing your prefered values!
I suggest that you modify the pach. The default values are not suitable for auraHD.

Thanks
Advert
Old 07-22-2014, 03:17 PM   #51
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by surquizu View Post
I suggest that you modify the pach. The default values are not suitable for auraHD.

Thanks
The default values of none of the patches were suitable for the Aura HD, but had to be modified by the user. You could post your modified configuration files here to help othere Aura HD users. Or maybe you could post the link to your web page.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:16 AM   #52
wikiped
wikiped began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Glo
Getting this error when trying to patch 3.5.0:
Code:
9: (regular patch) Menu
  processing ...
ERROR: olddata starting with 505EB does not match
This is probable one of those things that have not been updated yet...

Thanks anyway for this patch - my eyes are very grateful.
wikiped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:13 AM   #53
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiped View Post
Getting this error when trying to patch 3.5.0:
Code:
9: (regular patch) Menu
  processing ...
ERROR: olddata starting with 505EB does not match
This is probable one of those things that have not been updated yet...

Thanks anyway for this patch - my eyes are very grateful.
Actually, this patch works for me. Is it possible that something happened to a file (conf_nickel.txt or nickel)? Maybe you should download the package newly and try again. If you edited conf_libnickel.txt, don't overwrite it with the original version.

Edit: What I wanted to say is that it should be possible to run the patcher without error. However, I rather doubt that this patch has an effect on the Aura HD. Until now, nobody reported, so I don't know for sure.

Last edited by tshering; 08-01-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:50 AM   #54
wikiped

Quote:
Is it possible that something happened to a file (conf_nickel.txt or nickel)?
Just checked and yes, found that if I use nickel from your archive then everything works fine.

But if I take nickel from firmware archive then I get this error.

Seems like for some reason nickel files are different although size of the files is the same - 4.9MB...
Old 08-01-2014, 11:52 AM   #55
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Just checked and yes, found that if I use nickel from your archive then everything works fine.

But if I take nickel from firmware archive then I get this error.

Seems like for some reason nickel files are different although size of the files is the same - 4.9MB...
This is an interesting observation. Some files of the KoboRoot.tgz of the mark 5 package differ from those of the mark 4 package.

Last edited by tshering; 08-01-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:06 PM   #56
tshering
Wizard

Usually the files in KoboRoot.tgz of the mark 3, 4, and 5 FW update packages are identical. In FW 3.5.0, which is available only for mark 4 and 5, the file nickel is different. For the modification for bad eyes patch I used the files of the mark 5 package. I don't think it will do any harm, if you have the files from the mark 4 update package on your reader and use the mark 5 nickel. (I think this is what I have on my reader currently.) But I do not know for sure. Anyway, I uploaded a version that contains the mark 4 nickel at this post.

Last edited by tshering; 08-01-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:02 PM   #57
wikiped

Patched with mark 4 files and everything worked fine.
Thank you for a quick fix.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:46 PM   #58
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Patched with mark 4 files and everything worked fine.
Thank you for a quick fix.
I am glad it worked for you. Does the menu patch show any effect on the Aura HD. You can see the wished for effect on the picture in the first post of this thread.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:43 AM   #59
wikiped

Quote:
I am glad it worked for you. Does the menu patch show any effect on the Aura HD. You can see the wished for effect on the picture in the first post of this thread.
Yes, menu patch works as expected - very comfortable font size in the lower popup menus (both on home screen and in reading mode).

I used these settings:
Spoiler:
Code:
newpart=#label {\n\tfont: 36px "%1";.......
newpart=#label[qApp_dragonStyle="true"] {\n\tfont: 40px "%1";...
...not sure which line is actually making an effect, but font in home screen menu appears slightly bigger then in reading mode.

I would post screenshots but the powerbutton hack is not working anymore on my AuraHD for some reason.

Another thing I noticed:
Regardless of the modifications made in Library section of conf_libnickel.txt I did not see any changes in how the Library view looks (tried increasing font 2x, 3x, same font as in oldpart, different one - nothing made a difference).

Last edited by wikiped; 08-02-2014 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Added comments on Library
Old 08-02-2014, 03:25 PM   #60
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Yes, menu patch works as expected - very comfortable font size in the lower popup menus (both on home screen and in reading mode).
Thank you for the information about the menu. Good that it works!

Quote:
Another thing I noticed:
Regardless of the modifications made in Library section of conf_libnickel.txt I did not see any changes in how the Library view looks (tried increasing font 2x, 3x, same font as in oldpart, different one - nothing made a difference).
The library view of the Aura HD is handled differently form the one of the Touch. Finding the css blocks that belong to a certain element is in many cases based on guessing and trial and error. Since I do not have an Aura HD and even do not know how its library view looks like, it is rather unlikely that I can achieve much.
If you would like to make some experiments with regard to the library view, I could provide you with some materials.