Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-27-2017, 04:33 PM   #61
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I'd like to suggest that this thread be deleted. It seems to be misleading a lot of people.
We don't delete threads unless they're spam or contain extremely offensive material. The truth about the subject has been determined (and the thread-title is no longer misleading) and it's here for people to read and discover for themselves (if they take the time to read--and we seem to have a lot of readers around here. ). There's no reason to delete it.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:24 PM   #62
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
renaming epub to zip also works.

that has worked for years
Then that should be the preferred way to do it, since an epub is a zip file
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:03 PM   #63
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I'd like to suggest that this thread be deleted. It seems to be misleading a lot of people.

Sending an epub to your Kindle after renaming it to .png via Amazon does convert it and it's readable on the Kindle. Copying it from your computer with a .png extension doesn't work. I saw this the other day on The Ebook Reader Blog, article at this link:
http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...o-your-kindle/

I tried it. It failed. Someone in the comments suggested that the comma in the file name might have prevented it from working. I removed the comment, emailed it again and it worked.

When I saw this today on The Digital Reader it also implied that you could simply copy the renamed file to the Kindle. I tried that and it didn't work. I hadn't really expected it to but I thought it was worth trying. He linked to this thread which is as misleading as the article although a few of you do try to straighten things out.

Leaving this thread in place is going to cause a lot of people a lot of frustration and I really hope someone with god-like powers here will remove it and then replace it with an announcement about how it really works.

Barry
"implied"?

Let m go fix the post.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:27 PM   #64
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Then that should be the preferred way to do it, since an epub is a zip file
epub is a zip file with an html file in it, so my guess is it is just opening the zip and converting the html?

Can anyone confirm if the table of contents keeps working, when you click on a chapter or not?
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 04:47 AM   #65
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
renaming epub to zip also works.

that has worked for years
I've read elsewhere (but haven't personally verified) that the "renaming an ePub to ZIP" method only works if the ePub (ie the ZIP file) contains fewer than about 25 source files. If there are more than that, the conversion will apparently fail.

As I say, this is something I haven't personally tested.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 02:05 PM   #66
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
This is a neat trick! Thanks DBX!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'd bet there are several extensions that will produce the same result.
I tried it with .txt and it worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
... Can anyone confirm if the table of contents keeps working, when you click on a chapter or not?
Yes, TOC worked for me on the one book I tried.

One drawback: If you email the epub with a .png or .txt, etc. extension, the title will be the filename and the author will be your email address; whereas, if you convert the epub through KindleGen (or Calibre) first then email the resulting .mobi, the Kindle will pick up the title and author from the OPF. However, if you use the Send-to-Kindle app, the app allows you to input the title and author before sending.

Last edited by odamizu; 07-29-2017 at 03:28 PM. Reason: more info
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:18 PM   #67
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
One drawback: If you email the epub with a .png or .txt, etc. extension, the title will be the filename and the author will be your email address; whereas, if you convert the epub through KindleGen (or Calibre) first then email the resulting .mobi, the Kindle will pick up the title and author from the OPF. However, if you use the Send-to-Kindle app, the app allows you to input the title and author before sending.

This suggests that when Amazon gets this "png" file it is recognised as a zipped collection of HTML and css. It is ignoring the metadata in the OPF (title, author, cover image tag). It is not really converting epub. There would be ways to test that I guess. Is everything in the right order (though I suppose that's the ncx)? Are all the chapters in the "Goto" list? Does it get the cover? How about if the cover is not named something like "cover.jpg"?

Anyway, to convert ePub I use the Sigil Kindlegen plugin that makes an azw and copy it to the Kindle via USB. No email, no Amazon. Everything works.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:35 PM   #68
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
This suggests that when Amazon gets this "png" file it is recognised as a zipped collection of HTML and css. It is ignoring the metadata in the OPF (title, author, cover image tag). It is not really converting epub. There would be ways to test that I guess. Is everything in the right order (though I suppose that's the ncx)? Are all the chapters in the "Goto" list?

Anyway, to convert ePub I use the Sigil Kindlegen plugin that makes an azw and copy it to the Kindle via USB. No email, no Amazon. Everything works.

It converts it to AZW3. Everything "works" as you'd expect from an AZW3 it just doesn't include the metadata or page numbers.Everything is in the proper order.

As I mentioned in my previous post it does an extremely good job sans those things. Kindlegen v2.9 converted ePubs will not have properly functioning Japanese word highlighting, emailing it will. This is irrelevant to most people but is handy to me and suggests they are doing something different.

It is converting it, it probably just ignores the opf and writes it's own.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:27 PM   #69
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Kindlegen v2.9 converted ePubs will not have properly functioning Japanese word highlighting, emailing it will. This is irrelevant to most people but is handy to me and suggests they are doing something different.
I suspect something in the AZW3 metadata (EXTH) is affecting how the books are handled by the kindle.

If you are interested in finding out what is happening I suggest processing a sample book both ways and then using kindleunpack to convert the resulting AZW3 files from your kindle into text and comparing them to see what is different.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:29 PM   #70
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
This suggests that when Amazon gets this "png" file it is recognised as a zipped collection of HTML and css. It is ignoring the metadata in the OPF (title, author, cover image tag). It is not really converting epub. There would be ways to test that I guess. Is everything in the right order (though I suppose that's the ncx)? Are all the chapters in the "Goto" list? Does it get the cover? How about if the cover is not named something like "cover.jpg"?

Quote:
It converts it to AZW3. Everything "works" as you'd expect from an AZW3 it just doesn't include the metadata or page numbers.Everything is in the proper order.
I concur. I'm definitely getting an AZW3.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:34 AM   #71
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The question is not what is it converting TO, but what FROM.
Since you say it is missing metadata that is in the epub, mostly the opf, I guess, then it is not treating it as an ePub, but a zipfile of HTML, etc.

I am keeping my Kindle permanently airplane, so I can't test this myself.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:03 AM   #72
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I am keeping my Kindle permanently airplane, so I can't test this myself.
You could do, should you wish to do so.

Email the book to your Kindle's email address, then go to "Manage Your Kindle" and select "Transfer via USB" to get the resulting KF8 file, which you can then sideload to your Kindle.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:36 AM   #73
AlanHK
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Good to know; thanks.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:48 PM   #74
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

Email the book to your Kindle's email address, then go to "Manage Your Kindle" and select "Transfer via USB" to get the resulting KF8 file, which you can then sideload to your Kindle.
Actually, that doesn't work. The option to transfer via USB isn't available for documents.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:53 PM   #75
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Actually, that doesn't work. The option to transfer via USB isn't available for documents.

Shari
Really? In that case, my apologies for the wrong information.