Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-24-2016, 09:25 AM   #76
donB006
Connoisseur
donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle k3G 3.4.2; DXG 2.5.8; DXG 3.1; Iriver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Where did you get this update-caupdate-09.bin from? Amazon doesn't appear to have made it publicly available.
Look here for link called "Kindle Services Update":
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201504450
donB006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:39 AM   #77
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
That seems to have just now appeared! Thanks.

EDIT: in case of interest, here is the contents of the update:
Code:
[eschwartz@arch /tmp]$ tar tvf update-caupdate-04_converted.tar.gz 
-rw-r--r-- signdaemon/signdaemom 650 2015-09-03 05:34 update-caupdate-04.dat
-r--r--r-- signdaemon/signdaemom 1930 2015-09-03 05:34 gutenberg_ca_update.ffs
-r-xr-xr-x signdaemon/signdaemom  948 2015-09-03 05:34 certificate.crt
-rw-rw-rw- signdaemon/signdaemom  256 2015-09-03 05:34 certificate.crt.sig
-r--r--r-- signdaemon/signdaemom  351 2015-09-03 05:34 constants
-rw-rw-rw- signdaemon/signdaemom  256 2015-09-03 05:34 constants.sig
-rw-rw-rw- signdaemon/signdaemom  256 2015-09-03 05:34 gutenberg_ca_update.ffs.sig
-r-xr-xr-x signdaemon/signdaemom 3385 2015-09-03 05:34 jks_update.sh
-rw-rw-rw- signdaemon/signdaemom  256 2015-09-03 05:34 jks_update.sh.sig
-r-xr-xr-x signdaemon/signdaemom 26965 2015-09-03 05:34 keytool.jar
-rw-rw-rw- signdaemon/signdaemom   256 2015-09-03 05:34 keytool.jar.sig
-r-xr-xr-x signdaemon/signdaemom  2233 2015-09-03 05:34 report_ca_update
-rw-rw-rw- signdaemon/signdaemom   256 2015-09-03 05:34 report_ca_update.sig
-r-xr-xr-x signdaemon/signdaemom   507 2015-09-03 05:34 S98ReportCAUpdate
-rw-rw-rw- signdaemon/signdaemom   256 2015-09-03 05:34 S98ReportCAUpdate.sig
-rw-rw-rw- signdaemon/signdaemom   256 2015-09-03 05:34 update-caupdate-04.dat.sig
-r--r--r-- signdaemon/signdaemom  1742 2015-09-03 05:34 util_funcs
-rw-rw-rw- signdaemon/signdaemom   256 2015-09-03 05:34 util_funcs.sig
A lot of scripting just to add certificate.crt to /usr/java/lib/security/cacerts
Also the comments have lots of typos -- does that happen a lot?

Last edited by eschwartz; 03-24-2016 at 10:53 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:28 PM   #78
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
A lot of scripting just to add certificate.crt to /usr/java/lib/security/cacerts
Also the comments have lots of typos -- does that happen a lot?
It could be one way of checking for "code tampering". If somebody changes your purposely typoed comments, you tell they've been in your file, and possibly the code too.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:46 PM   #79
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle DX
still on 3.3 here and tried the DX fixes but neither one worked.

I might try the kindle keyboard ones to see if I can go to 3.4 and 3.4.2
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:54 AM   #80
Carcyon
Carcyon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Amazon did send me a letter, a paper one! Telling me to update my Kindle! This is getting crazy. Soon they'll show up on my doorstep.
Carcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:09 AM   #81
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
They are building a brand-spanking-new distribution center I heard...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:16 PM   #82
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
So, did anyone with older firmware on devices that should be updated according to the table have any problems with connecting to Kindle Store or downloading books after that March 22. cutoff date?

I'm asking because I've just tested my old PW1 with firmware 5.4.4 (the table claims that is should be updated to fw 5.6.1.1): sending both archived PDOCs and books bought on Amazon from Manage Your Devices works, downloading both types from Kindle itself works, downloading sample from Kindle Store works... it open Goodreads feed/homepage...

Was there some delay in putting those server side changes in effect or is Amazon just "lying"? From the start it wasn't logical to me that PW2 that came out with older firmware build than the one my PW1 is currently on doesn't need to be updated to firmware build newer than 5.4.4 but PW1 has to be on 5.6.1.1...

I'm lazy to update my PW1 (because of all the hacks and mods I've installed) if it's not totally necessary to do so... even with "MobileRead Package Installer" making things much faster nowdays.

Last edited by shamanNS; 04-20-2016 at 02:20 PM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:21 PM   #83
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
When you play in someone else's ecosystem, ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:26 PM   #84
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I suspected from the beginning that it was primarily a matter of the pre-KT devices, some of which run firmware several years old.

There were recent(-ish) security updates for the K3/K4NT even after the PW release, but not for the K2/DX(G) -- and guess which devices need an additional semi-secret update.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:18 PM   #85
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Well IIRC fw 5.4.4.2 was released very quickly after 5.4.4 somewhere around the time of Heartbleed bug? Around that time Kindle 3 got some bugfix... And I still haven't installed that

Last edited by shamanNS; 04-20-2016 at 02:21 PM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:54 PM   #86
Carcyon
Carcyon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Can anyone tell me if the 1st Gen Paperwhite already received the Bookerly font or if there is an EASY solution to add that font to the latest firmware? I'm still on 5.3.9 since that was the latest version where you could easily add fonts.

Last edited by Carcyon; 05-30-2016 at 11:57 PM.
Carcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:22 AM   #87
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

You can extract the Bookerly font from any official update which includes it (just try the latest PW3/Voyage update) using KindleTool.

Then just add it like any other font.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:05 AM   #88
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcyon View Post
Can anyone tell me if the 1st Gen Paperwhite already received the Bookerly font or if there is an EASY solution to add that font to the latest firmware? I'm still on 5.3.9 since that was the latest version where you could easily add fonts.
It doesn't come with Bookerly (or Ember).
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:23 AM   #89
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcyon View Post
I just downgraded my PW1 to 5.3.9 yesterday. I got tired of it being useless since I decided to upgrade to the latest firmware the font rendering seemed to have changed and it just looked awful. At first I thought it was me being use to a 300ppi reader but after downgrading to 5.3.9 I noticed a huge difference. I can also add fonts again which I really missed.

Now I need to work up the courage to jailbreak and install that lock to keep it from updating.

I added Bookerly on mine. I think it needs a tad more weight so I'll probably modified it to my liking.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, paperwhite, update