Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-08-2017, 07:43 PM   #1051
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I thought I'd dig up this thread because I'm trying to lose a few pounds. Admittedly, I'm almost always trying to lose a few pounds; the stretches where I feel I can rest on my oars tend to be short-lived.

So here's the sitch: My breakfast is healthy. My lunch is healthy. Heck, my dinner is healthy. I don't snack during the day except on extremely rare occasions when I have some fruit. I get enough and varied exercise. But two things trip me up: the cocktail hour and post-dinner.

As for the cocktail hour (which is usually wine), I like everything about it. The ritual, the relaxation, the taste. But it's empty calories and worse, it lessens my resolve heading into the evening which is already my other danger time. Post-dinner, I have a hard time stopping. I try to fight it with an espresso and it helps, but evenings tend to be a battle with my non-existent willpower until I can finally go to bed.

Any suggestions? How is everyone else doing on the weight-loss front?
Let's talk about the cocktail hour. Appetizers or just wine? Red or white?
Now I am going to get personal. Feel free to tell me to butt out, shut up or whatever.
Note if this is only one night or two nights a week, ignore the rest of the post.
Is this cocktail hour every night?
How much on average do you drink a night? 1 glass, 2 glasses, 1/2 a bottle, a full bottle or more?
If one glass, I can't help you except to suggest maybe have cocktail hour every other night.
If more than one try to cut your consumption in half.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:00 PM   #1052
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Let's talk about the cocktail hour. Appetizers or just wine? Red or white?
Now I am going to get personal. Feel free to tell me to butt out, shut up or whatever.
Note if this is only one night or two nights a week, ignore the rest of the post.
Is this cocktail hour every night?
How much on average do you drink a night? 1 glass, 2 glasses, 1/2 a bottle, a full bottle or more?
If one glass, I can't help you except to suggest maybe have cocktail hour every other night.
If more than one try to cut your consumption in half.
Ah, you have identified the crux of the issue; once the wine bottle is open, why not go back for a second glass? And it's so delicious with dinner, too. I have tried to combat this tendency with a real cocktail during cocktail hour and actually, it's a pretty good strategy. Not only is one plenty, they also don't go well with dinner. But I like wine.

Knowing me, I need to go off the sauce altogether for a bit. I'm the type where none is easier than a little.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2017, 08:09 PM   #1053
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Post-dinner snacking is my Waterloo ... If there are snack foods in the house, I'll (eventually) eat them. Willpower? Yeah, right ...

So - I stopped buying ALL delicious snack food -- if it ain't in the house, I can't eat it. I only bring home Triscuits -- which are (almost) impossible to binge on, and fill you up quickly. I ration myself to 5 Triscuits after dinner.
I have occasional breaks (Cheddar cheese Chex Mix is my weakness), but overall I've been able to eliminate after-dinner indulgences.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:15 PM   #1054
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ah, you have identified the crux of the issue; once the wine bottle is open, why not go back for a second glass? And it's so delicious with dinner, too. I have tried to combat this tendency with a real cocktail during cocktail hour and actually, it's a pretty good strategy. Not only is one plenty, they also don't go well with dinner. But I like wine.

Knowing me, I need to go off the sauce altogether for a bit. I'm the type where none is easier than a little.
Depending on the cocktail, it probably has more calories and a higher alcohol content. Subbing is not a good strategy. I know you didn't ask my opinion on that part.
Seriously, try cutting back to every other day. And check your messages.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:18 PM   #1055
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I have a Bad Thyroid. Finally after 4 Years found a Dr that is treating in. Not only am I feeling a bit better. I Lost 30 Pounds in the past 3 months without trying!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2017, 08:22 PM   #1056
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Post-dinner snacking is my Waterloo ... If there are snack foods in the house, I'll (eventually) eat them. Willpower? Yeah, right ...

So - I stopped buying ALL delicious snack food -- if it ain't in the house, I can't eat it. I only bring home Triscuits -- which are (almost) impossible to binge on, and fill you up quickly. I ration myself to 5 Triscuits after dinner.
I have occasional breaks (Cheddar cheese Chex Mix is my weakness), but overall I've been able to eliminate after-dinner indulgences.
Yeah, for me it's nuts. I mean literally nuts, not figuratively. I cannot stay away from them in the evening and they need not to be available.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:25 PM   #1057
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
I have a Bad Thyroid. Finally after 4 Years found a Dr that is treating in. Not only am I feeling a bit better. I Lost 30 Pounds in the past 3 months without trying!
Wow, Barbara, good for you! A 30-pound loss is fantastic. You must feel great.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:27 PM   #1058
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Fantastic.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:41 PM   #1059
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Yeah, for me it's nuts. I mean literally nuts, not figuratively. I cannot stay away from them in the evening and they need not to be available.
I was addicted to cashews ... until an excruciating episode of diverticulitis ... after which I was forbidden to consume nuts, popcorn, etc. ... unless I wanted to find myself doubled over on the floor in pain ...
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:04 PM   #1060
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
I was addicted to cashews ... until an excruciating episode of diverticulitis ... after which I was forbidden to consume nuts, popcorn, etc. ... unless I wanted to find myself doubled over on the floor in pain ...
I don't want negative reinforcement to that extent!

Seriously, that's rotten and I'm sorry.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:08 PM   #1061
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
My mom had that. (Diverticulitis I mean) and it was lucky she did as it led to her getting scanned which led to them finding her lung cancer early. She is supposed to go back soon for a re-scan. Me I have to have will power in order not to have high blood sugar's. And the more active the bigger the chances of having a low as well. I don't always avoid high's as I do snack a little, though I try to keep it to a small amount when I do. The real problem is when I do over do it and have a low it's very easy to over compensate and end up with a high blood sugar. Sometimes I get hit with a feeling of nausea when my sugar goes high. Not fun. All I can do then is try to rebalance things with a small dose of insulin or having my next meal be lower carb so that the insulin can lower my levels and cover my meal as well. A tricky thing at times.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 02:55 AM   #1062
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'd been drifting along around 75-76 kilos for a while. Then I had a six weeks of restraint that got me down to 73/74kg. I need to do that again to try to get down to my 70kg goal.

And yes, I find the days relatively easy. But snacking in the evening is my downfall.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:11 AM   #1063
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
I thought I'd dig up this thread because I'm trying to lose a few pounds. Admittedly, I'm almost always trying to lose a few pounds; the stretches where I feel I can rest on my oars tend to be short-lived.

So here's the sitch: My breakfast is healthy. My lunch is healthy. Heck, my dinner is healthy. I don't snack during the day except on extremely rare occasions when I have some fruit. I get enough and varied exercise. But two things trip me up: the cocktail hour and post-dinner.

As for the cocktail hour (which is usually wine), I like everything about it. The ritual, the relaxation, the taste. But it's empty calories and worse, it lessens my resolve heading into the evening which is already my other danger time. Post-dinner, I have a hard time stopping. I try to fight it with an espresso and it helps, but evenings tend to be a battle with my non-existent willpower until I can finally go to bed.

Any suggestions? How is everyone else doing on the weight-loss front?
I've managed to lose 23 pounds in the last 4 or 5 months through calorie counting and exercise, but suffer from exactly the same "sitch" as you - I drink red wine almost every night, and once the bottle is opened...

I have plateau'd now and can't seem to lose the last 7 pounds I wanted to to make my target weight. I'm even in danger of starting to put it back on again as my exercise levels have dropped due to a number of factors, including "tennis-elbow" in my left arm. I don't know what the solution is either, except to stop drinking, and right now I can't see that happening.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:16 AM   #1064
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I've managed to lose 23 pounds in the last 4 or 5 months through calorie counting and exercise, but suffer from exactly the same "sitch" as you - I drink red wine almost every night, and once the bottle is opened...

I have plateau'd now and can't seem to lose the last 7 pounds I wanted to to make my target weight. I'm even in danger of starting to put it back on again as my exercise levels have dropped due to a number of factors, including "tennis-elbow" in my left arm. I don't know what the solution is either, except to stop drinking, and right now I can't see that happening.
Congrats on losing 23 pounds / 14 stone 9 / 10.5kg!

It's comforting in its way to hear that others have exactly my stumbling blocks, but it also means there are no easy fixes which I knew anyway. With the vino, I do think I need to go on a wine fast for a bit, and I manage one every now and then, but I miss it. And unlike the nuts, it's not as if I can just get it out of the house, either.

As for the exercise, while I don't have an issue at the moment, I'm having eye surgery at the end of the month which will slow me down for a bit; I hope not for too long. In any case, exercise gets harder heading into the fall, especially since I'll have to switch to swimming indoors which is far less convenient (and appealing). It won't be near daily any more. Hmm.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:25 AM   #1065
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
As for the exercise, while I don't have an issue at the moment, I'm having eye surgery at the end of the month which will slow me down for a bit; I hope not for too long. In any case, exercise gets harder heading into the fall, especially since I'll have to switch to swimming indoors which is far less convenient (and appealing). It won't be near daily any more. Hmm.
I find it much harder to motivate myself to exercise when autumn approaches. In the summer I walk to town and to the supermarket on a regular basis, or use the treadmill and cross-trainer we have. When the days close in, I even find it hard to use this equipment, even if it is out of the nasty weather. Must be something to do with lack of sunshine.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote