Device: none
Does Kindle 2 work in Europe

Does Kindle 2 work in Europe.
I am undecided whether to buy?
John Connolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:49 AM   #2
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
It does not
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2009, 08:58 AM   #3
John Connolly
John Connolly began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you for your quick reply

Thank you for your quick reply
John Connolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:59 AM   #4
tirsales
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Always a pleasure
BTW: Welcome to Mobileread
Old 04-30-2009, 09:34 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Does it work?

Yes, certainly it works.

All that doesn't work is the wireless connectivity.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2009, 09:38 AM   #6
tirsales

I *knew* it. Thought about editing my post, but then I wasnt sure if the Kindle needed some kind of server-connection to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Does it work?

Yes, certainly it works.

All that doesn't work is the wireless connectivity.
That means: It can be used as a normal e-reader - though there perhaps will be some problems buying or getting new content ... AFAIK the kindle store can only be used from within the US.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:41 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You need a credit card with a US billing address to use the Kindle Store, that's correct. But there are lot of other places to get books, and you can transfer them to the Kindle via USB, just as you can with any other reader. The actual Kindle itself will work just fine.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:07 AM   #8
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I can assure you that the Kindle does work in Europe. And you don't need a credit card registered to a US address, as you can purchase books from Amazon using gift vouchers (and, of course, there are other places from which you can obtain Kindle books).

What we don't have in Europe is Whispernet, but that's not a show-stopper as you can purchase books on your PC and transfer to the Kindle via USB.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:44 PM   #9
SteGar
Enthusiast
SteGar doesn't litterSteGar doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
I concur with what Mike L is saying (even though I don't live in Europe).

I live in Montréal (which for the US is the equivalent of Europe...) and I just got my K2 a couple of weeks ago. It works like a charm to buy with gift certficates and transfer with the USB cable, I even got myself the Sunday edition of the NYT last weekend...

You only need a friend or relative to have it shipped to their address in the US and you are set !

I hesitated a lot and research the whole thing for a while, but the decision to go with the K2 was the best call.

Go for it !
SteGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:10 PM   #10
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
It is not intended to work outside the US, so if you buy one and have problems getting books onto it, please don't whine. Ask questions, get advice, but please don't whine.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:52 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteGar View Post
I live in Montréal (which for the US is the equivalent of Europe...) and I just got my K2 a couple of weeks ago. It works like a charm to buy with gift certficates and transfer with the USB cable, I even got myself the Sunday edition of the NYT last weekend...
Can you explain, please, how the "gift certificate" thing works?
Old 05-01-2009, 10:02 AM   #12
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Harry,

Quote:
Can you explain, please, how the "gift certificate" thing works?
You set up two accounts at Amazon. Account 1 is the one to whom you register your Kindle. Account 2 is just an ordinary account - no special requirements as far as method of payment or country of residence is concerned. Each account has a different email address.

Account 1 enables 1-Click, with a US address. A credit card is not needed at this stage.

Account 2 purchase a gift card, and mails it to Account 1. Account 1 applies the card to his/her account.

Now, whenever you want to buy a Kindle book, you log in as Account 1, and make the purchase via 1-Click. Since you have a positive gift card balance, it does not prompt for a credit card number. It just takes the money off your gift card.

That's about all there is to it.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:41 PM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Account 1 enables 1-Click, with a US address. A credit card is not needed at this stage.
There have been reports that a credit card is now needed, but it does not have to be a US credit card (only a US address). See Amazon Kindle outside of the US.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:40 PM   #14
All4Fun
Zealot
All4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Blackberry Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Harry,

You set up two accounts at Amazon. Account 1 is the one to whom you register your Kindle. Account 2 is just an ordinary account - no special requirements as far as method of payment or country of residence is concerned. Each account has a different email address.

Account 2 purchase a gift card, and mails it to Account 1. Account 1 applies the card to his/her account.

Now, whenever you want to buy a Kindle book, you log in as Account 1, and make the purchase via 1-Click. Since you have a positive gift card balance, it does not prompt for a credit card number. It just takes the money off your gift card.

That's about all there is to it.
Does Account 2 need to be U.S. based also? I've read that the gift card "currency" between the 2 Amazon accounts has to be the same (U.S. with U.S., Canadian with Canadian). So, Canadian based Amazon account couldn't buy a gift card for a U.S. based Amazon account.

EDIT: Forget the question. I just proved it myself using a Canadian Amazon account to buy a $10 gift card for a U.S. Amazon account. It works and was applied successfully.

Last edited by All4Fun; 05-01-2009 at 01:48 PM.
All4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:32 AM   #15
tirsales

I would never pay a merchant who actively tries to hinder me from giving him money ... Frankly I dont understand why anybody would.