Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-16-2018, 01:11 PM   #1
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
VIP New Year Super Points gift

If you are a Kobo VIP member and bought a lot of books last year, you might like to check your Super Points balance to see if you got a bonus.

I didn't get any email notrification about it, but I noticed yesterday on my Super Points dashboard there was an extra 2400 points with the transaction described as "New Year's Gift from Kobo to our Top VIP Customers."
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:26 PM   #2
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle Paperwhite 5, 16 gb version
Yep, just got mine. :-)
Byrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2018, 03:05 PM   #3
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I only got 250 But well, it's Ok
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:05 PM   #4
tdanzie
Connoisseur
tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo H2O, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura One
Got mine on the 14th.(2400)
tdanzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:35 PM   #5
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Oh, wow! I got 2,400 here in Toronto. Very pleased!
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2018, 07:41 AM   #6
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
I got an email notice about a week a saying I would receive 250 points and I did get the points. I wonder if the amount of points received is related to the amount spent on books in 2017.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:57 AM   #7
Rockin
Enthusiast
Rockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Touch
Near as I can tell, these points are about as useful as the old coupons that said they have a cash value of 1/20 of a cent.

I will likely never use the points I have earned. I once started looking at books that can use these points and there wasn't anything close to interesting to me. If there was later in the list, I was not going to waste my time looking. Kobo knows what I like, they could pare down the list but they don't.

Just my humble opinion.
Rockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:45 AM   #8
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin View Post
Near as I can tell, these points are about as useful as the old coupons that said they have a cash value of 1/20 of a cent.

I will likely never use the points I have earned. I once started looking at books that can use these points and there wasn't anything close to interesting to me. If there was later in the list, I was not going to waste my time looking. Kobo knows what I like, they could pare down the list but they don't.
It might vary by country, but the vast majority of the books I normally buy can be bought with super points, including books by some of the big publishers, and even books published by Hachette which are not normally eligible for promo code discounts.

When I look back at the books I read in 2017, 90% of them are eligible for purchase with super points at Kobo (New Zealand).

Edit: Using the filters on the Kobo website to separate and count the number of free, paid, and points-eligible ebooks, I calciulate that 93% of all the paid ebooks are eligible for purchase with super points. (New Zealand)

Edit: You don't need to look through a list of all the points-eligible books, you just look for books that interest you in whatever way you normally do -- browse categories, search, view recommendations, etc. -- and then apply the filter to show which of those books are points eligible.

(In case you can't tell, I am a big fan of the super soints scheme. It would be nice if they had a few more store-wide bonus days like they did early on, but even without that I find it well worth paying for a VIP membership just to get the extra super points.)

Last edited by GeoffR; 01-17-2018 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Using the filters ...
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:56 PM   #9
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I got 250 myself, which considering I don't buy many ebooks anymore (budgetary issues) is a pretty nice bonus.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:26 PM   #10
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I only got 250 points. Maybe it's because I did over 100 price matches last year. The lucky ones with 2400 points got enough to get a free book (at least here in the US).
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:20 AM   #11
rosalita
Connoisseur
rosalita began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Forma, Kindle Paperwhite 3
Thanks for pointing this out! I hadn't noticed it, but I got 250 points as well. I bought 32 books in 2017 but none of them cost more than $5.
rosalita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:00 PM   #12
tea2
Zealot
tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd ed, Kindle 2, iPad Mini 4, Aura One.
Thanks!

Yay! 2400! I thought the balance was higher than when I last looked, but didn't have a chance to check.

I spend far too much at Kobo. Quite a few books that I like can be bought with points.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:01 AM   #13
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
I got 250 points.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:40 AM   #14
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Nice, I got 250 points too.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 01:37 AM   #15
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
Thanks for mentioning this. I don't keep track so I never would have noticed it. I got 2400 too.

I've never had trouble finding something to spend my points on. Even if there were no points involved the VIP membership has paid for itself just with the mini discounts on a lot of the books I buy. I'm on the email list for OpenRoadMedia discounts and I buy a lot of the backlist mysteries that go on sale for 1.99, which are 1.79 for VIP members. I suppose that can't continue for much longer; I think I've bought most of the series I'm really interested in.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote