Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-01-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
Vanessa
French newbie
Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: iLiad v2, Sony PRS-T1, Kindle Voyage
Completely lost

Hi, I just got an iLiad, and I wonder : is there, anywhere, a kind of step to step instructions on how to access the shell, how to install programs, etc. etc. ?
I have troubles making the wifi work, and even after following the advise on a thread I found about wifi and WPA issues, it doesn't work.
So, I'm wondering if there is anything I'm missing...
Sorry, but it's not always easy for a newbie
Vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:22 PM   #2
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post
Hi, I just got an iLiad, and I wonder : is there, anywhere, a kind of step to step instructions on how to access the shell, how to install programs, etc. etc. ?
Hey Vanessa,

check out The absolute n00b guide to installing applications.
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2008, 10:34 AM   #3
Vanessa
French newbie
Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Thanks, this topic is great ! I still have my problem with the wifi, but I think it's because of my network...
Old 05-04-2008, 05:34 PM   #4
GavinK151
Enthusiast
GavinK151 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Thanks, this topic is great ! I still have my problem with the wifi, but I think it's because of my network...
Do you still have the problems if you turn off WPA? apparently the time allowed for the iliad to do the WPA handshake is set too short for some routers. You can change this I believe if you have shell access...
GavinK151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:37 PM   #5
Vanessa
French newbie

The problem doesn't come from encryption. Even with WPA turned off (BTW, I use WEP), it doesn't work. The problem comes from my router, which doesn't attribute any IP addess to the iLiad.
I tried today with a WEP secured network, and there wasn't a single problem. Funny thing is : the network I tried today is configured exactly the same as mine, except it's another brand.
I guess my router is kinda jealous ^^
Advert
Old 05-04-2008, 07:35 PM   #6
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
Have you checked if there is updated firmware for your router. I use a D-Link DGL-4300 with latest firmware and 128-bit WEP without problems. If you mention what router you have, someone with the same router might chime in.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:27 AM   #7
Vanessa
French newbie

It's a Linksys WAG354G.
I'll try to update the firmware.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:13 AM   #8
Vanessa
French newbie

Firmware updated, it didn't solve the problem
Old 05-05-2008, 05:51 PM   #9
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
The problem doesn't come from encryption. Even with WPA turned off (BTW, I use WEP), it doesn't work. The problem comes from my router, which doesn't attribute any IP addess to the iLiad.
I tried today with a WEP secured network, and there wasn't a single problem. Funny thing is : the network I tried today is configured exactly the same as mine, except it's another brand.
I guess my router is kinda jealous ^^
WEP is crackable in 5 - 90 minutes (checkout aircrack-ng.org). You shouldn't use it (if I'm bored I'm sometimes hacking one or two WEP-based networks ;o).

To your other problem - first you should check if it collides with other wlan channels (your channel should be at least 2 levels over or under the other channels). Second check how you enter your password (hexadecimal based or passphrase based).

Try it out with no encryption for a short time (only some minutes - and set your router password before!). If the iliad works without encryption you can exclude some general router problems.

Last edited by joblack; 05-06-2008 at 07:14 PM.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:14 AM   #10
Vanessa
French newbie

I tried already, it doesn't work without encryption. And it works perfectly with WEP encryption on another router. That's why I think the problem comes from my router and / or my configuration...

And you're right about WEP.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:15 PM   #11
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
1) Update the router firmware
2) check out if you're router BSSID (your wlan name) is hidden - if yes make it visible.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:12 AM   #12
Onemack
Groupie
Onemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle P/W, Kobo Aura, Kobo Libre 2, Boyue likebook P10
After all that not only am I lost I am now confused. I have had my Iliad for a week, and it seems pretty good, so far, (better than the Sony and Cybook relatively speaking). What I want to know is, what is this FBReader that is being talked about, as an installation on the Iliad, what does it do that on the Iliad that I cannot do.
Do I need it, is it an improvement

Help this old ignoramus out please.

John
Onemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:03 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
FBReader allows you to read many other book formats on the iLiad that it can't read with the built-in software. You certainly don't "need" it, but it opens the machine up to many other formats.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:17 AM   #14
Onemack
Groupie
Onemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle P/W, Kobo Aura, Kobo Libre 2, Boyue likebook P10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
FBReader allows you to read many other book formats on the iLiad that it can't read with the built-in software. You certainly don't "need" it, but it opens the machine up to many other formats.
Yea, Thanks Harry, I dont suppose you could just give me hint of what those formats are.
There is all sorts of mysterious and arcane (never archaic) stuff on this site, and I am sure some of it would be extremely helpful, if only I knew what they were talking about.

Cheers
John
Onemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:17 AM   #15
Vanessa
French newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
1) Update the router firmware
2) check out if you're router BSSID (your wlan name) is hidden - if yes make it visible.
1) done.
2) SSID is visible, or at least I think so. I don't have any option to make it visible, but it appears without problems when I search for available networks.