Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
azbdsf
Aka Redfish
azbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo touch
Firmware 2.1.4

Did someone have news of the firmware 2.1.4 for the Kobo touch ?

The Kobo touch who were showed at Fnac demonstration today (they introduce the new Kobo Glo, but some Kobo Touch was in free acces too) was with the firmware 2.1.4.

Do you know when it will be released officialy ?

PS: Sorry for bad english level, I'm french... ^^
azbdsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
kaikara
Zealot
kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1277
kaikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2012, 12:36 AM   #3
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
Yes, SameerH did, today.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1284

The roll-out to Touch devices has begun today. But the deployment will be in stages over the week.
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:34 AM   #4
Erkhyan
Erkhyan can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Erkhyan can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Erkhyan can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Erkhyan can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Erkhyan can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Erkhyan can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Erkhyan can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Erkhyan can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Erkhyan can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Erkhyan can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Erkhyan can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: Kobo Touch
Well, once the firmware becomes available to all, could someone post a direct link to it if possible? Not that I’m in love with manual updates, it’s just that my personal connexion isn’t fast or stable enough to allow me to update through the official client, and the computer where I do have a stable and fast connexion (i.e. my work computer) won’t let me run the client.
Erkhyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:38 AM   #5
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkhyan View Post
Well, once the firmware becomes available to all, could someone post a direct link to it if possible?
See here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=11
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2012, 05:20 AM   #6
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Works good on KG31C.
But its absurd that some basic CSS properties are still not supported:
Code:
@page
body
Not supporting the body-tag is probably obvious as its obsolete since HTML version 4.01. But now its impossible to define the overall behavour of the document.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:07 AM   #7
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have it installed now (manually) and played a bit with it.

What I noticed...
  • No chess
  • You can choose Dictionaries now. But... I removed all dictionaries but English-german, then clicked on an English word and got "no english dictionary installed". Grmpff...
  • 2(!) crashes in the first 5 minutes, both related to dictionaries. But, at lease you can remove all the dictionaires that you really do not need, so it does not always start with the French one now for me (which I never wanted)
  • German still does hypernation after/before just one single letter. I really wonder if anyone from Kobo ever reads all the complaints about these things...
  • fast, but not faster than 2.1.1. Too slow to turn it off (takes over a minute until it's back and the card is accessable)
  • still no change on the page-turn zones, e.g. "tap anywhere to forward, swipe to go back" or "tap lower half for forard, upper half for back"

The number of the firmware is 2.1.4 (r43710, 10/1/12)

These are the release notes:
  1. Install dictionaries in your preferred languages
  2. Enjoy faster page-turning and book loading
  3. Benefit from better text selection, highlighting and Wi-Fi performance
  4. Watch a new Quick Tour (available in Help)

Last edited by WS64; 10-04-2012 at 06:09 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:26 AM   #8
azbdsf
Aka Redfish
azbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo touch
Take care , depending on you hardware (I suppose), your Kobo will upgrade on few different firmware.
-2.1.4 - r43703
-2.1.4 - r43710
Don't know if they are from the same firmware file (the kobo choose the good options into this pacakage) or from 2 differents firmwares files.

(Always sorry for bad english level ^^)
azbdsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:19 AM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The hyphenation fix is not difficult but is language specific. I'm betting that German was somehow missed when they fixed the English and French. Kobo staff is reading the board a lot right now so maybe one of them will weigh in.

I have no idea if they have people fluent in the various supported languages involved in development or not. I do know that having people who use their Kobos in French has resulted in a better experience for Francophones. Maybe you could volunteer for the beta group.

There are things about formatting that bother me for sure. Some of them can be blamed on decisions or lack of action by the Kobo content developers (different than the device team, BTW). Others have to do with the CSS and HTML files the publishers submit. And then there are things related to Adobe and how Adobe handles such things.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:27 AM   #10
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
In 2.1.4, for the Touch with sideloaded EPubs, are chapter marks still present on the page menu? I ask because I saw a comment in a Glow review that made it sound like they weren't present?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:29 AM   #11
WS64

Taming, there was a link once where you could subscribe to the beta group.
Only you couldn't, everything on that page led to non-working links.

And I know how to fix the hyphenation thing. It's just a shame that kobo does not, especially since it is such a small thing to do...
Old 10-04-2012, 07:40 AM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
[*]German still does hypernation after/before just one single letter. I really wonder if anyone from Kobo ever reads all the complaints about these things...
They definitely do, but if you only reported it here, they may have decided to look at problems reported via the official channels first.
Quote:
[*]fast, but not faster than 2.1.1. Too slow to turn it off (takes over a minute until it's back and the card is accessable)
Are you turning it off to eject the SD card? If so, there is no need to do so. Just eject it and the put it back at any time.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #13
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
PM Sameer or MDK and ask to be added to the beta group. I think it was an oversight with the hyphenation. That is the kind of thing that having a diverse beta group can catch, for sure.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:09 AM   #14
WS64

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Are you turning it off to eject the SD card? If so, there is no need to do so. Just eject it and the put it back at any time.
Nono, that's not what I mean.
I turn of the Kobo.
After a while (40 seconds or so) the Kobo is back, but it says it is empty, no books (I have ALL my books on a memory card).
After another 30 or 40 seconds it shows the books.
So when the Kobo is turned off it takes over a minute until I am back on the front page.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:15 AM   #15
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
Thanks for the link, WS64.

I unzipped the files, copied them across to the root folder of my KT, and ejected it from the USB connection ... but it doesn't update. Even on a restart, the KT doesn't respond to the files. It's currently on 2.0.0 — is there something more I need to do?

(I tried launching the Kobo Desktop, and let my device sync to it ... it download the Desktop update, but nothing more. Do I have a hardware incompatibility, maybe?)
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote