Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 09-09-2009, 07:31 AM   #1
Suzannec
Suzannec has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: ECO Reader
Question ECO Reader - Adobe Digital Editions Help

Hi, I am very new at this and need a little help. I will be getting (hopefully tomorrow) my ECO Reader, and I have prepared a lot of free books to download and I bought an ebook from BoB in the Adobe Digital Editions PDF format. I downloaded the software, registered my computer with it, downloaded the file and added it to the ADE library. So, my question is, when I get my ECO Reader and I want to transfer the ebook from my computer to the ECO Reader, how do I go about it. Do I do it through ADE or do I located the original file on my computer and do it that way. I don't actually have my device yet, so maybe it will be perfectly clear once I get it, but at the moment I am not so sure! So any advice/help would be great. All of my free books are loaded in Calibre - I think I just hit the send to device button for that one right?
many thanks
Suzannec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:35 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See Books on Board: Astak EZ Reader Help. The EZ Reader is a Hanlin V3, like the ECO Reader (although the photo is of a Pocket Pro, a Hanlin V5, but the process is the same).

You don't have to use Desktop Adobe Digital Editions to copy the ebook files to your ECO Reader, unless you want to. Once the device is authorized, you can put them in whatever folders you want via USB (just like DRM-free ebooks). On your PC, the files are in My Documents\My Digital Editions.

Last edited by wallcraft; 09-09-2009 at 09:20 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:31 PM   #3
Suzannec

thank you. That really helps.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:41 PM   #4
judy moller
judy moller began at the beginning.

Device: bookeen gen3
judy here i am having problems getting my newly purchased books to my eco reader when i go to digital edititions with eco connected i get a screen asking me to authorize my device but when i do i get an error message E_AUTH_BAD_DEVICE_KEY have tried email to adobe but it is a 3 day turnaround

Last edited by judy moller; 10-22-2009 at 08:48 PM.
judy moller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:58 AM   #5
Suzannec

I can't really remember how I authorized by device, but I think you need to have Digital Editions open first, then plug in the ECO. It should then come up as a separate device and then ask you to authenticate. You can add your books manually to your ECO as well, you don't need to go through Digital Editions. Your ECO should come up as a separate device and you can just drag and drop your book files into it. You can also create folders and subfolders to put your books into. You could also try a free software called Calibre - that is also able to transfer your books to your device as well. I don't actually attach my ECO to my computer anymore after I first authenticated with the Digital Editions, I have a 4gb SDHC card (which works just fine) that I put all of my books on and then insert it into the ECO - it is much easier that way for me. Hope some of this helps.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:04 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by judy moller View Post
judy here i am having problems getting my newly purchased books to my eco reader when i go to digital edititions with eco connected i get a screen asking me to authorize my device but when i do i get an error message E_AUTH_BAD_DEVICE_KEY have tried email to adobe but it is a 3 day turnaround
I've no idea why you are having this problem, but you could perhaps sidestep the issue. I authorised the ADE reader on my desktop, and always download to my desktop first. Then I put the SD card from my ECO reader into a card reader and attach it to a USB port, then copy the ebook from the ADE folder on the desktop to a folder on the SD SD card.

I don't think I've ever had the ECO reader connected to the computer; so far as I know once the ebook passes through the authorised desktop ADE reader the ebook is ready to use even if it is defiled by DRM.

I also remove the DRM as soon as possible.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:12 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
II don't think I've ever had the ECO reader connected to the computer; so far as I know once the ebook passes through the authorised desktop ADE reader the ebook is ready to use even if it is defiled by DRM.
There is definitely a device key (or whatever) written to the Hanlin by Desktop ADE, and without it you won't be able to open DRMed Adobe ebooks. Once the device key is on the SD card you should not need to authorize again (i.e. you can then copy DRMed ebooks to the SD card any way you want).

Stripping the DRM immediately (obviously only for personal use) on the Desktop before copying to the Hanlin is the other approach that works. The advantage of this is that then you can modify the ePub if necessary - some have very strange margins for example which are easily fixable using Calibre.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adobe digital editions, eco reader