Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-05-2013, 03:27 AM   #166
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I went from newsaggregators back to reading the International Herald Tribune, but still in digital form. The aggregators either give you an experience that is too narrowly focused on certain fields of interest or you are being overwhelmed with with articles, most of which are not really very interesting.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:02 AM   #167
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I was reading a novel this morning and encountered the term, "Lord Woolton's Pie." I was curious so I got on the internet and typed in the phrase for Google. Bingo. Then I considered what I would have done in 1955 to find out what the phrase meant and what my likelihood of success would have been. My answer didn't involve the library. I would have contacted my dear friend, Noreen, who went through the Blitz in London. She would have probably known. But, at the library, I don't know where I would have started.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:16 AM   #168
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I was reading a novel this morning and encountered the term, "Lord Woolton's Pie." I was curious so I got on the internet and typed in the phrase for Google. Bingo. Then I considered what I would have done in 1955 to find out what the phrase meant and what my likelihood of success would have been. My answer didn't involve the library. I would have contacted my dear friend, Noreen, who went through the Blitz in London. She would have probably known. But, at the library, I don't know where I would have started.
You probably could have done exactly the same "at the library" where they provide a PC and internet access for free.

The internet compliments libraries, it doesn't make it superfluous
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #169
Sregener
Addict
Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
You probably could have done exactly the same "at the library" where they provide a PC and internet access for free.

The internet compliments libraries, it doesn't make it superfluous
I think the key phrase there was "in 1955."

I would stop at the information desk at the library and ask for help. Librarians that I've met are generally knowledgeable about books and information, and are experts in finding what you're looking for. Sure, you might not find your answer to that question, but I'm willing to bet that a librarian would have been willing to spend the time to help you. A key source for those of us without a Noreen in our lives...
Sregener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #170
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I am not in any way knocking the new libraries. They do not resemble the libraries of 50 years ago, though, as the post about going to a PC in a library in 1955 illustrates. Perhaps the discussion in the original post was about traditional, nostalgic, libraries.\

Take a look at the other thread on "Reading Rooms" and think that now you don't have to have books in your "reading room". You don't even have to have a room. You just read.

Last edited by patrickt; 03-05-2013 at 08:16 AM.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #171
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sregener View Post
I think the key phrase there was "in 1955."

I would stop at the information desk at the library and ask for help. Librarians that I've met are generally knowledgeable about books and information, and are experts in finding what you're looking for. Sure, you might not find your answer to that question, but I'm willing to bet that a librarian would have been willing to spend the time to help you. A key source for those of us without a Noreen in our lives...
I don't know about 1955, but in 1975 people would commonly call the reference desk (from home) with questions like that...and if you were in the library, you would always see a reference librarian on the phone with someone, answering a question. You didn't get a wikipedia length answer, of course - but if you wanted to know when the battle of Jena was fought and who won, they would tell you that over the phone.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #172
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
You got me curious as to what it is and I found the following:
Lord Woolton's Pie
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #173
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
You got me curious as to what it is and I found the following:
Lord Woolton's Pie
It says the pie wasn't popular, but it sounds yummy to me. Kind of like a vegetarian Shepherd's Pie.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #174
Acataloger
Retired library cataloger
Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: PRS-T2 ; Kindle Paperwhite Manga; Fire HD 10; Huawei Honor 8
Sregener is quite right about asking the librarian about Lord Woolton's Pie. If I had been the librarian in 1955, I would have walked over to the shelf and pulled down Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable (originally published in 1870 -latest revision 2012).

When I checked the Amazon.com entry, I "looked inside" and found Woolton Pie right between Wool and Woolworth!
Acataloger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #175
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Libraries have always been a fountain of information and librarians the same. They still have the skill and knowledge to direct people to find the information that they seek. That, in and of itself, is worthwhile.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #176
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
I must ask, how old is this novel? If it was written in the 1950's, it may have been a cultural reference that most readers would have been familiar with. I think it's an important point because you'll run into cultural references in modern literature, but you may choose to learn about it by means other than Google (e.g. family and friends).

Then there are reference librarians and old fashioned books, as others have pointed out.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #177
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
I must ask, how old is this novel? If it was written in the 1950's, it may have been a cultural reference that most readers would have been familiar with. I think it's an important point because you'll run into cultural references in modern literature, but you may choose to learn about it by means other than Google (e.g. family and friends).
Absolutely. One classic example (no pun intended) is this sentence I came across in a detective story recently:

Quote:
Like Gaul, the large picture window behind the drapes was divided into three parts...
50 years ago, the reference to "Gaul" would have been instantly understandable to any reader. Today I suspect that I'm in a minority in understanding it. Anyone care to explain it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #178
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
50 years ago, the reference to "Gaul" would have been instantly understandable to any reader. Today I suspect that I'm in a minority in understanding it. Anyone care to explain it?
I get the reference to Gaul, but you have to fudge a bit to get to three parts, I think.

I'd say it's either two (Gallia Cisalpina & G. Transalpina) or more than three: G. Transpadana, G. Cispadana, G. Narbonensis (aka 'Provincia Romana', the modern Provence) & G. Comata (pretty much everything else south to the Pyrenees and north to the Rhine)

You could split G. Comata even further into G. Belgica, G. Aquitania & G. Lugdunensis, getting up to 6

The only way to get to 3 that makes some sense is G. Cisalpina, G. Narbonensis/Provincia Romana & G. Comata.

Or am I overthinking this?
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #179
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
I get the reference to Gaul, but you have to fudge a bit to get to three parts, I think.

I'd say it's either two (Gallia Cisalpina & G. Transalpina) or more than three: G. Transpadana, G. Cispadana, G. Narbonensis (aka 'Provincia Romana', the modern Provence) & G. Comata (pretty much everything else south to the Pyrenees and north to the Rhine)

You could split G. Comata even further into G. Belgica, G. Aquitania & G. Lugdunensis, getting up to 6

The only way to get to 3 that makes some sense is G. Cisalpina, G. Narbonensis/Provincia Romana & G. Comata.

Or am I overthinking this?
You're on the right track.

In the days when Latin was taught as a standard school subject, a book which virtually everyone would have been familiar with was Julius Caesar's "Gallic Wars" - it was THE standard text. The first line of the book is:

Quote:
Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres...
or:

Quote:
The whole of Gaul is divided into three parts...
which is the reference that this detective story is making in saying that like Gaul, the window was divided into three parts. It's a reference which would be completely lost to most modern readers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #180
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
C'mon. Gaul was divided into four parts. Anyone who says different needs to talk to the gentleman below.

5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote