Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2012, 02:32 AM   #1
Anjohl
Zealot
Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Kobo Touch Travel case?

I am interested in some sort of protection for my Kobo when on the go. I am not interested in something that the reader stays in at all times, and I don't want to crack $15-20 if possible.

I bought one of the oficial Kobo "bookstyle cases" tonight, just to try, and I am not overly impressed with it for $20. The sleep button is too hard to access, and for what it is, I feel it's overpriced.

What solutions have you guys found, for those in similar situations? Thanks in advance.
Anjohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:39 AM   #2
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
I put my Touch in a bubble-wrap envelope

But, where that would protect against scratches, it won't be protected against pressure on the screen. I do also have a hard book style case. (Yes I put the Touch in the case, then the case in the bubble wrap envelope to protect the case, pfff.) I made sure the case has the four elastic corner attachment method so I can easily and quickly take out the touch (I don't use the case when reading). I leave the elastic on the top right off, so the power switch is easier to reach, and so I can take out and put in the Touch faster.

But ultimately, yes, I'd be interested in the kind of case you describe.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:43 AM   #3
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Something like the M-Edge Latitude case would be good for travelling: http://www.medgestore.com/products/k...p?device=kobo2 as the edges are closed off by the zip... but I'm not sure if the canvas has hard back lining... Plus, it's rather expensive.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:03 AM   #4
Transonic
Enthusiast
Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kindle 4 NT, Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
I use one of these covers. Excellent value for the money with free shipping.
http://www.skindigitalstore.com/prod...ase-Cover.html
Transonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:19 AM   #5
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
I put my Touch in a bubble-wrap envelope

But, where that would protect against scratches, it won't be protected against pressure on the screen.
Me, I just slip my Touch into an old plastic hard drive envelope, with a piece of corrugated cardboard that's wrapped in duct tape to protect the screen. [the duct tape's optional, but I don't happen to have particularly good scissors, so the edges were all ragged and prone to dropping off bits and cardboard dust - not good when that crap gets into the opening around the screen]

It's cheap - and sturdy enough to protect from damage while my Touch is in my backpack or my back pocket. Also doesn't double the weight of the Touch like a decent cover would. Doesn't look good, but so what? I'm not one of those types who has to make a big show out of being seen taking it out or putting it away, so it's not like anyone's going to actually notice.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:20 AM   #6
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transonic View Post
I use one of these covers. Excellent value for the money with free shipping.
http://www.skindigitalstore.com/prod...ase-Cover.html
Ugh. Maybe after some surgery to get rid of that inner flap so that you can close it without having to put the Touch to sleep first...
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
clsdclsd
Zealot
clsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five words

I have made a hard case using a cutout of a DVD case and some Leukoplast - much better than duct tape (http://www.bsnmedical.no/en/products...last/page.html). Ugly as hell but protects well.
clsdclsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:40 PM   #8
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
A friend gave me a neoprene zip case he bought a bunch off for about $7 each and was handing them out. I then place my Vox and my Touch face to face in the case. Err, that sounds a bit rude but you get the idea.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:33 AM   #9
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Pelican makes a case that will fit a Kobo, the 1055C. It's a bit large (designed for 7" tablets/eReaders), so you will have to stuff it with some foam, but it will protect your eReader from a thermo-nuclear blast.

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1055CC
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:42 AM   #10
Matriarch
Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Tuff Luv make some great cases - I use one of their hemp cases for my Kindle when out and about. It can survive a heck of a drop in its case.

Kobo Touch page: http://tuff-luv.com/e-readers/kobo/kobo-glo.html
Matriarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:03 AM   #11
Vidfamne
Vidfamne began at the beginning.

Cover from USB-3G dongle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Ugh. Maybe after some surgery to get rid of that inner flap so that you can close it without having to put the Touch to sleep first...
Here's how I re-used the cover of a USB-dongle we got. Note the pocket for the cable...

If I can get the insert picture to work....

Hmpf, I don't seem to be able to enter link to my photo on neither Skydrive nor Dropbox...
Anyway, if anybody is interested, here's the link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hs3agmtzc8...o%20ZCover.jpg

/z

Last edited by Vidfamne; 10-19-2012 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Problem w picture...
Vidfamne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #12
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Something like the M-Edge Latitude case would be good for travelling: http://www.medgestore.com/products/k...p?device=kobo2 as the edges are closed off by the zip... but I'm not sure if the canvas has hard back lining... Plus, it's rather expensive.
I have one for my Sony. It has a hard lining on both sides. I was lucky enough to get it at a greatly reduced price ($7) at Marshalls. It is very well made, lightweight, the double zip allows you to close most of the case to charge it except where the USB plugs in. It also has a slot in the back for the e-luminator light to slide in. It's not really canvas, it's like a woven nylon over hard vinyl (with a soft-touch finish like the Touch's) which is partially exposed on each side. Love it!

Last edited by Cdesja5; 10-19-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #13
MisterBuggie
Enthusiast
MisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura H20 2nd edition
You can find some pretty neat handmade covers on sites like Etsy. I got this one:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/82870269...ry=one%2Bpiece

I was actually surprised by how well made it is. It's padded so offers good protection, although of course not pressure protection like a hard cover, but then I wouldn't put it somewhere that it could get that kind of pressure. Always screen side against something rigid or the back of my backpack (where it's against my back).
That kind of cover is also one of the least cumbersome, I don't think I could put up with some of the bulkier covers...
MisterBuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #14
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidfamne View Post
Here's how I re-used the cover of a USB-dongle we got. Note the pocket for the cable...

If I can get the insert picture to work....

Hmpf, I don't seem to be able to enter link to my photo on neither Skydrive nor Dropbox...
Anyway, if anybody is interested, here's the link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hs3agmtzc8...o%20ZCover.jpg

/z
Hahaha very very nice indeed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
I have one for my Sony. It has a hard lining on both sides. I was lucky enough to get it at a greatly reduced price ($7) at Marshalls. It is very well made, lightweight, the double zip allows you to close most of the case to charge it except where the USB plugs in. It also has a slot in the back for the e-luminator light to slide in. It's not really canvas, it's like a woven nylon over hard vinyl (with a soft-touch finish like the Touch's) which is partially exposed on each side. Love it!
Ooooh thank you muchly for the detailed description. I think I must have one now! Suits my wishes perfectly. Now to find such a lovely deal as the one you got!
Old 10-21-2012, 09:56 AM   #15
Tzar
World War II buff
Tzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Aura One
For my part, I decided to order this one here:

Tuff-Luv Embrace Case

I wasn't too sure as I really like holding the Kobo "naked" in my hands to have as less weight and heft as possible, and I find all these cases often just add bulk to the device. But I haven't been able yet to find a nice-looking, hard travel case that I could just slip the Glo in it. So if it's going to stay in the case at all times, I figured this one seems right, with this holding strap at the back for your hand.
Tzar is offline   Reply With Quote