Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you read a lot in direct sunlight?
Yes, a lot. 71 31.84%
Just a little. 79 35.43%
Almost never. 49 21.97%
Never. 24 10.76%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-20-2010, 07:07 PM   #76
ChaseKR
Connoisseur
ChaseKR began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Touch, iPad 1 3G
I certainly do. Here in California, it's very nice in the Spring and Fall, but can be brutal during the Summer.
ChaseKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:01 AM   #77
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
Maybe I should have asked "Do you like to read in direct sunlight?"
Maybe. I definitely don't unless it is cold and sunny
However to answer the hidden agenda behind your poll, when it is hot and sunny, I love reading in a shade and its works only with a certain type of ebook readers. There are situations when direct sunlight is unavoidable. When I went to North of Scotland I was travelling by train. It was very sunny and I had direct sunlight for at least 2 hours. It was fun to read. Warm and cozy
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 11:31 PM   #78
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
If you have a reflective LCD screen (I have an Aluratek) you better put away your polarized sunglasses. With polarized glasses all you will see is an almost black screen. On the other hand you could use it in landscape mode. This due to the way that LCD screens work. Not a problem with eink.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:59 AM   #79
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Ta.
Added my vote for Just a little.
I like reading outdoors, but usually in a shade. Only if it is cold I don't mind direct sunlight, otherwise I feel just like Lady Ea
It feels like it sucks all energy out of me. Like a day time vamp.
Maybe that's what I am I do certainly get hot in the sun

Mere seriously, getting overheated by the sun makes me feel lethargic, so like you, I stick to sitting in the shade. That's also gentler on the eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
Maybe I should have asked "Do you like to read in direct sunlight?"
That would probably have been a more accurate question, given our answers.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:27 AM   #80
yegon
Connoisseur
yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Living in the UK, and rainy Manchester at that, I'd hesitate to say we even get much sunlight. However, I read a lot at work in my job (train conductor) and the experience of reading e-ink in daylight is much, much better than off an LCD screen.

Ive been reading ebooks since the pda days, some kind of Palm or Handspring was my first iirc. Reading on my spiffy new Sony 650 (replacing my launch 505) is most pleasant in comparison
yegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 06:31 AM   #81
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3 (LBook), GS3
Rarely and never for long, my reader gets overheated and the display starts to act weird. I bet it's not healthy.
LCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:37 AM   #82
AGB
Headbutting stupidity
AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650
I never read on the beach. I just can't stand beaches for that kind of thing (summer and heat, sand reflecting the heat, small sand mounds that are annoying to walk on and sand everywhere).

But I do read in the sun. Especially when it's cold out, it's really nice to be able to stand or sit in the sun and get some warmth while reading something interesting. And since I can't read news papers (hypersensitivity issues), my ereader is just the thing.
I sometimes take a blanket with me, go for a row and stop somewhere and just sit there and read, drink a cup of coffee and enjoy myself.

AGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:44 AM   #83
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Now, that's a very nice boat.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:50 AM   #84
AGB
Headbutting stupidity
AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks
Old 12-03-2010, 09:58 AM   #85
Williamlk
Guru
Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I get kinda bothered when I read in the sun...But I would if I had a nice boat like that!
Williamlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:28 AM   #86
AGB
Headbutting stupidity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamlk View Post
I get kinda bothered when I read in the sun...But I would if I had a nice boat like that!
[Off-topic]
Thanks.

I know it's off-topic, and that it's usually bad form to pimp a link etc., but if you want to see a few more pictures of it, I have a photobucket account with some more:

http://s1009.photobucket.com/albums/...20trip%20home/

http://s1009.photobucket.com/albums/...and%20blowing/

[/off topic]

But really, in summer when it's really hot and humid it's very nice to be able to catch a breeze on the water. I guess one could fit an umbrella or some other form of shade, but I just use a hat. The boat makes reading in the sun so much more pleasureable.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:26 PM   #87
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I read on my deck and in the hammock when it is warm enough. I have read at the beach but a lot less frequently.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote