Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-01-2010, 05:25 PM   #16
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLee View Post
Man, how long is this "war" going to last?
Until the hardware-only vendors get out of the US market or B&N goes Chapter 11, whichever comes first.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:30 PM   #17
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:

Seems like all these companies are scrambling to get that next generation eReader out there in the upcoming months. And then what after that? Will there be another price reduction a few months later and the cycle continues?

I wish someone would just make a really kickass device that blows the competition away. Then maybe we would have some "peace" time for a few months.
Nah, peace is highly overrated! I like watching this.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 05:45 PM   #18
switchman2210
Enthusiast
switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Black PRS-650 with lighted cover & Kindle DX.
Quote:
I think pricing will stabilize around these points for ~ the next year. During that time, volume should be ramping up which will drive component pricing lower. In 2011, I believe units designed for the education market will begin to arrive at quality/ruggedized level that can be deployed in the higher education market
switchman2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:23 PM   #19
switchman2210
Enthusiast
switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Black PRS-650 with lighted cover & Kindle DX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Until the hardware-only vendors get out of the US market or B&N goes Chapter 11, whichever comes first.
I am hoping the hardware only vendors are the ones to survive. I want to be able to purchase a eBook from any source and it will run on my hardware platform of choice. I refuse to be locked into a single source for my books. I have yet to purchase a reader as I wanted a bigger screen than 6” I was hoping to go the IREX 800 route, but they never had any at my local Best Buy to try. For me, the 8 inch screen is my minimum for pleasure reading. More words on the screen at the larger font size.

There are still major issues to be solved yet in the whole ebook world vs paper world.

One major problem I see is the whole DRM scheme. While I do not like DRM, I do not see the publishers giving up on it for books anytime soon. I also do not believe it can ultimately be left to individual companies to support their on methods. To easy for a single company issue causing loss of all access to all of the books I have purchased. I believe there will have to evolve some public key encryption method that all of the publishing houses support.
switchman2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:34 PM   #20
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:

Seems like all these companies are scrambling to get that next generation eReader out there in the upcoming months. And then what after that? Will there be another price reduction a few months later and the cycle continues?

I wish someone would just make a really kickass device that blows the competition away. Then maybe we would have some "peace" time for a few months.
Well, that's exactly the scenario that the camera manufacturers followed five years ago. (including Sony, so they ought to be mentally and emotionally prepared not to weaken or blink). Of course, this price/technology war drove some long time manufacturers out of business.

If this turns out to be the case, be prepared for some of your favorite smaller manufacturers to disappear.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 07:11 PM   #21
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Consumer Electronics companies don't operate that way Ben. You simply have to pick the best device that fits your needs at the time & forget about the latest & greatest next year.

Otherwise, you will either be in a permanent holding pattern or bankrupt upgrading every year!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:35 PM   #22
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
The PRS 300 should have been less than $149. Doesnt make it stand out at that price.

Still waiting for $99.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:07 AM   #23
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I probably won't get a new reader until some magazine or newspaper offers one free with a paid subscription
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:13 AM   #24
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I wonder when the prices in Europe will drop? I mean, a difference of $250 and €250 is explainable (taxes mostly). But a difference of $199 and €250 isn't...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:01 AM   #25
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
An online store here in Australia are still selling PRS-600's for AU$550 and the PRS-300 for AU$465. Any which way you look at that, buying O/S and paying for postage costs is a far, far cheaper option.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:32 AM   #26
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
An online store here in Australia are still selling PRS-600's for AU$550 and the PRS-300 for AU$465. Any which way you look at that, buying O/S and paying for postage costs is a far, far cheaper option.
Yep. It's not explainable anymore with simply saying: but you have to pay VAT!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:15 AM   #27
yagiz
http://is.gd/4flJX
yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 3G
I'll be travelling to the US pretty soon so who knows maybe I'll give in and buy a new one. However I'm mostly waiting for something that's going to be "better enough" than my good old PRS 505 to deserve the price tag. The only aspect attractive enough that I see with the current models is 900's size. Touch screen, wireless or capacity, I don't care much.

Somebody mentioned the "new e-Ink" screens, earlier on. Can anyone give me or point me to some information about this technology please?
yagiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:47 AM   #28
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by yagiz View Post
Somebody mentioned the "new e-Ink" screens, earlier on. Can anyone give me or point me to some information about this technology please?
Here you go, straight from the horse's mouth.
(eewww! Who comes up with those phrases? )
http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...84&newsLang=en
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:58 AM   #29
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
I think that's why quite a good number of e-readers sold by Americans in this forum's flea market are purchased by overseas buyers.
flyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:27 AM   #30
stargazertony
Connoisseur
stargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, iPod Touch, Pre-electronic devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVLarson View Post
$99 ereaders for all! We are on the way down, and its a burger war for sure. Let the magic of competition work its wonders. Amazon has had a lock on this market long enough.
Well, I'm not quite sure we have the "magic of competition" going on here. This type of magic can have have disastrous effects for the consumer. The big guys with deep pockets can lower their price, for awhile, so much that it drives the little guys out of business or makes companies that might be developing really innovative products to stop development. Not many of the smaller companies have lowered their prices yet.

Last edited by stargazertony; 07-02-2010 at 08:31 AM.
stargazertony is offline   Reply With Quote