Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-15-2007, 03:03 AM   #16
L1Wulf
Enthusiast
L1Wulf began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I would say posting on MobileRead is fairly social.

[just deleted a rather large discourse on TV being a social activity since it sounded fairly off topic, personal and made my home life sound rather, uh, strange (TV habits of girlfriend being completely out of context--I know, sounds intriguing huh? Trust me, it really isn't)]

Anyway, keeping on topic for the thread...

I can completely sympathize with what you say, tcv. The only difference being the main topic of reading. I plow through projects, play games, and so on only to temporarily abandon each if they are not completed before my interest fades. On the other hand, I have always been a bookworm from an early age, not to mention almost constantly reading if my immediate attention is not required. Cereal boxes anyone? I'm the only technology geek I know that actually reads the manual (well, maybe not first, but eventually--I even read the Sony Reader manual front to back). Basically, if a book isn't handy, and I've got the opportunity, consider it read.

Now, I will say that having the Reader has made reading books much more convenient and judging by consumption over the last month-and-a-half, much more productive. I would say that even for an on and off reader, the device would allow you to do more reading when you are in the mood, and keep your place when you're taking a break. I suspect if the price was lower, it would almost be a no-brainer for you, but as has been mentioned above, given time, I'm sure you will work out what is best for you.
L1Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 10:40 PM   #17
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
TCV,
Wow! I thought I was the only one with ADD when it comes to many things. Like you, I tend to collect things and some things I never find my way back to, while others I have trouble staying away from (things that tend to absorb most of my time when I know I should be doing something more productive; e.g., using the computer instead of stuff like... paying the bills, etc.). Hadn't ever really summed it up as you have, so this puts a unique perspective on how I see things. I always thought I was just a major procrastinator with gathering so much, but I read somewhere, sometime that I was just a "collector." Too many hobbies w/o enough time in the day; there is so much I'd like to do, I just never get around to it or get caught up in something else. I guess where we really differ, in regards to this, is how we unwind at the end of the day. I usually tend to drop into a book for anywhere from 15 minutes to a couple of hours (depends on how good the book is, not what time I have to get up), though I guess you unwind by surfing the Internet (this would just get me into trouble with my better half ). I think what's neat about eBooks is that if a book loses my attention, I can mark my place, switch genres or even style; i.e., manga vs. regular, and come back later if I so choose. There for a while I had a problem with finishing books, but I started keeping track of when I started/finished, who wrote it, what it was about, and how I rated it; this helped for a while and kept me going about finishing good books and let me know just how bad some where. While it helped me quite a bit at the time, I don't do this anymore, but who knows... I may start again, if I ever get motivated to keep track again.

Good luck with finding what suits you best; after all, it's what makes you happy that matters the most in life!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert