Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-26-2010, 09:40 AM   #1
dpapathanasiou
Nameless Being

"How to Create an E-Book for the Kindle, Nook, iPad/iPhone/iTouch"

I realize this info may be old hat for most people here, but I wanted to share the slides of a presentation I gave at BarCampNYC5 a week ago:

http://denis.papathanasiou.org/?p=286

I used Sigil and Calibre for the demo.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:59 AM   #2
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Thanks for sharing.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2010, 07:36 PM   #3
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Let's not forget the Android platforms (mobile phones today, and tablets in the future). As far as the epub standard is concerned, I find the document rendering to be more predictable on my tiny Droid, than all the dedicated e-readers. I hate paying $10 - $20 for an ebook only to discover that it can't be displayed at its fullest potential on an e-reader. As for PDF, Droid kicks a lot of bigger a**es.

Bottom line: Too many publishers develop their documents on a PC or Mac, and fail to test the end results (w/o DRM) on the major e-reader platforms. Even a Kindle-format creator has to be aware that their documents may eventually be ported to an epub environment. (Of course, they can be snitty, and put a lot of roadblocks in their native format, to prevent/cripple conversion). As usual, Mr. Marketplace, will put an end to the format wars, some day, some way.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:09 PM   #4
prophet5590
prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Charge, Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
As far as the epub standard is concerned, I find the document rendering to be more predictable on my tiny Droid, than all the dedicated e-readers
If you don't mind me asking, what app are you using on your Droid? I am using Aldiko, but I'm not entirely happy with it. Mostly happy, but, wondering if I am missing something better...
prophet5590 is offline   Reply With Quote