Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-12-2006, 02:59 PM   #16
vvv
Zealot
vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iLiad, Librie, REB1100, GEB2150, GEB1150, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvetinari2
Importing a CSSed HTML file into BD also gives problems.
Forgot to ask. When loading a CSSed HTML file, do you have a css file in the same dir as your html-file?
vvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 06:42 AM   #17
lordvetinari2
Zealot
lordvetinari2 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi & Galaxy Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvv
Forgot to ask. When loading a CSSed HTML file, do you have a css file in the same dir as your html-file?
Yep (sorry, I've been busy with my baby Reader!).
lordvetinari2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2006, 09:37 PM   #18
FangornUK
Addict
FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad, Kindle 3
I've given the BookDesigner a go to generate LRF files and the results were impressive but I had the following major issues which stop me from using it. I'm mostly converting HTML either from Gutenberg or marked up text using GutenMark, which generates HTML. When loading a HTML document that has images, the images do not load. Also the biggest problem is that pagination does not work properly, sometimes page breaks just appear in the middle of paragraphs - is there anyway to switch pagination off?

A good example of the HTML with images that uses CSS from Gutenberg is http://www.gutenberg.org/files/19420/19420-h.zip
FangornUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:14 PM   #19
vvv
Zealot
vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FangornUK
When loading a HTML document that has images, the images do not load.
In your file there are the declarations of pre-formatted html. Usually such type of html's heed to be processed as a pure text that eliminated all the html tags. So, as soon as BD finds <pre> tag in html, it makes a complete file re-formatting.
However in your file <pre> tags are used to mark just a small part of the text. So just remove them from 19420-h.htm, and the pictures will appear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FangornUK
Also the biggest problem is that pagination does not work properly, sometimes page breaks just appear in the middle of paragraphs - is there anyway to switch pagination off?
It is happening because the lrf creator was adjusted for the Librie rather than for the Sony Reader. As soon as I get Sony Reader, I will adjust the lrf creator for it. But now you need to make this adjustment manually playing with the "lines per page" number (around 22-25 for "book text"=17). Also try to play with "page breaks", "page headers", and "page footers" options.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:47 PM   #20
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
vvv, thanks for your great software!

Is there a way to prevent the text from wrapping to the next line when you set the size on the reader to "M" or "L"? I'm getting a lot of lines with one word.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2006, 12:08 PM   #21
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Line breaks

Is there an answer to this question regarding wrapping? When I download an lrf from an online site and I change the font the text flows and adjusts. When I covert using this program and I change the font size the sentences break as if they had hard returns. Is there a setting that I need to change to make the text not line break at different sizes. Thanks.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 03:12 PM   #22
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
This is a known issue. Current version of BookDesigner used hard breaks to align the text. This was done to work around some bugs in Librie. It seems those bugs are not present in the Reader, so the program needs to be adjusted to not insert hard breaks. It will be done when vvv (the author) receives his Reader, which should be pretty soon, I think.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 03:38 PM   #23
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk
This is a known issue. Current version of BookDesigner used hard breaks to align the text. This was done to work around some bugs in Librie. It seems those bugs are not present in the Reader, so the program needs to be adjusted to not insert hard breaks. It will be done when vvv (the author) receives his Reader, which should be pretty soon, I think.
Thanks igorsk! Let's hope it will be soon.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 08:29 PM   #24
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

I finally downloaded this program and, well, it's quite a nice little app. I, too, am hopeful for vvv to get his Reader for the wrapping issue. :-)
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 07:17 PM   #25
Retina
Retina began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk
Yay!

Because so far this is the best app for doing any of these conversions. I was able to get it working fairly well and this would make it perfect.

Thanks for the awesome work vvv!
Retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 07:05 AM   #26
Axel
Axel began at the beginning.

I try to use BookDesigner for converting PDFs to BBeBook format. Sometimes it works, but if the PDF is more complicated and I press make-eBook I only get the error message "creation failed".

Is there a way to get a more detailed error description, so that I can find and fix the problem?

Many thanx,

Axel
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:54 PM   #27
vvv
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel
Is there a way to get a more detailed error description, so that I can find and fix the problem?
Check "validate failed lrs", then press "make book". A lrs-file (Librie Reader Source) is a xml-type-file from which a lrf-file is created. If there are some errors in lrs-file, it will be shown in the lrs validator and the first found error will be pointed out and described. Correct the error manually, then press eBook -> validate (or "validate" botton). When all the errors are fixed, press eBook -> make lrf (or "make lrf" button).

Also you can use lrs validator for the validation of your own lrs-files and for the creation of lrf books from your own lrs-sources. To run the lrs validator press Tools -> more tools -> Lrs Validator.

Bear in mind, however, that lrs validator was made for relatively small books (my own needs), so do not be surprised if it will not be able to load big books.

Notes related to the big lrs sources. If lrs validator is not able to load some lrs, you may correct it using any xml-validator/editor [for example, Xml Spy or even IE (the last one - just to find the error)]. The current lrs-file is located in TmpOut subdirectory of the main BD directory, however this subdirectory is deleted as soon as you close BD. So if you want to edit lrs-file, just copy this subdirectory somewhere outside of the main BD directory, then rename tmp.lrs as tmp.xml and load tmp.xml to your xml editor.

Also you can use the inner xml-validator/editor named "FBI" (Tools -> Fiction Book Investigator) which is designed for the manual editing of fb2-books. It has no restriction for the loaded file size, but you will need to rename tmp.lrs as tmp.fb2 and to choose "namespace" instead of "schema".

Last edited by vvv; 11-27-2006 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:04 PM   #28
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Whatever happened to the fix for this program? The hard return versus soft return issue. I figured that it would be a simple change in the code?

The program looks nice so I'm eager for the fix. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:38 PM   #29
vvv
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo
Whatever happened to the fix for this program? The hard return versus soft return issue. I figured that it would be a simple change in the code?
The changes are not so simple: too many special things were made to adjust the books for Librie. And another one problem: it is quite difficult to remember all of them (1.5 year already passed).
So it is easier to rewrite the lrs-module than to remove all the Librie adjustments. However up to the end of this year I will have no time to do it. I think I will do it at the middle of January.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:45 PM   #30
Stingo
Fanatic

Thanks a lot. Don't mean to rush you during this crazy time of year. Just like the program and am eager to use it. Have a great holiday season.

Tags
bookdesigner