Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-16-2010, 02:04 PM   #1
divory
divory began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, Gen3, Sony 700, Opus, PB360
fbreader and DRM

I am very happy with the reading experience that fbreader gives and rather dislike Adobe Reader. Of course the DRM'd ePub files would not open in fbreader until the DRM had been removed. Thanks to help received I found out how to remove the protection and I know it succeeded because Calibre would convert the ePub files to Mobi.

On the PB360, fbreader would open the file, but although it appeared normal in Adobe Reader, it lost all formatting in fbreader. The epub file would appear normal when opened in Calibre, so it must be something that I have done with fbreader. Does anyone have any ideas?

David
divory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by divory View Post
On the PB360, fbreader would open the file, but although it appeared normal in Adobe Reader, it lost all formatting in fbreader. The epub file would appear normal when opened in Calibre, so it must be something that I have done with fbreader. Does anyone have any ideas?
This is a known feature of FBReader.
FBReader throws away most of the formatting and replaces it with YOUR prefered formating. This is very handy if you prefer different formating, such as margins, line spacing, font or justification than the person that did the layout of the book.

FBReader was initially developed for reading FB2 (Fiction Book 2) files. The most notable feature of FB2 format is that it does not contain formatting. It just marks paragraphs, headings, footnotes, metadata ... whatever using XML and leaves the actual graphical and formatting representation to the reader.

This is why PocketBook comes with several applications for reading some formats. If you prefer layout exactly according to the original formatting of an e-pub book (including those #$%! page numbers) use AdobeViewer, if you want to override formatting, use FBReader. You get what you want either way. No compromise.

Last edited by kacir; 01-16-2010 at 02:54 PM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert