Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-19-2010, 11:06 PM   #46
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
old? I was perusing the paper while in the hospital and saw that Mel Gibson was turning 54. I kind of figured it was a typo and moved on. then I saw something again saying he was 54.

this cannot be possible! I checked online, wiki answers (which I have never figured out that website) says "about 60", other pages say the 54 number. anyone know the real deal?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:59 AM   #47
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I trust the IMDB and it says:

"Mel Columcille Gerard Gibson was born on January 3, 1956, in Peekskill, New York, USA"
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 03:03 AM   #48
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
old? I was perusing the paper while in the hospital and saw that Mel Gibson was turning 54. I kind of figured it was a typo and moved on. then I saw something again saying he was 54.

this cannot be possible! I checked online, wiki answers (which I have never figured out that website) says "about 60", other pages say the 54 number. anyone know the real deal?
Yes, he's younger than my mother...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:12 AM   #49
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
He's only 54?????? Geeeez - I hope I'm not looking that old when I turn 54.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:46 PM   #50
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
I don't buy it
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 02:51 PM   #51
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
I don't buy it
You can't buy him anyway...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #52
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

wouldn't want to
Old 01-20-2010, 06:49 PM   #53
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I saw Janis Joplin in about 1968 at the Monterey Rock Festival.

I started talking to a young 20-something guy at work and he had never heard of Janis. And his knowledge of the Beatles was just a couple of songs.

Yea.. It's hell getting old.
Talking to my own brother, after hearing "Lean On Me" by Club Nouveau. He remarked on how it was interesting to hear an oldie redone like that. Later, I realized he was referring to the D.C.Talk version .... and he had NO IDEA it went back much much further than that! I told him I had first heard it in 1975..... Sigh.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:02 PM   #54
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Talking to my own brother, after hearing "Lean On Me" by Club Nouveau. He remarked on how it was interesting to hear an oldie redone like that. Later, I realized he was referring to the D.C.Talk version .... and he had NO IDEA it went back much much further than that! I told him I had first heard it in 1975..... Sigh.
Sneer not, lest I remind you of Satchmo's Strutting With Some Bar-be-Que or Mack the Knife ....

Or Gogi Grant, or Tex Ritter's Smoke, Smoke, Smoke That Cigarette.....

Or the Andrew Sisters....

All of which would have been in the public domain now, if the copyright law in the US hadn't been overwritten in 1978.....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:50 AM   #55
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Sneer not, lest I remind you of Satchmo's Strutting With Some Bar-be-Que or Mack the Knife ....

Or Gogi Grant, or Tex Ritter's Smoke, Smoke, Smoke That Cigarette.....

Or the Andrew Sisters....

All of which would have been in the public domain now, if the copyright law in the US hadn't been overwritten in 1978.....
That was a real bono-head thing to do. Copyright laws should protect the originators of a work, not their heirs or corporations in perpetuity.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:24 AM   #56
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
That was a real bono-head thing to do. Copyright laws should protect the originators of a work, not their heirs or corporations in perpetuity.
No argument. I believe in protecting the right of the living, not of the dead...
Old 01-21-2010, 04:51 PM   #57
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
Isn't there a point when entertainers (especially aging Rock stars) should just turn in their microphones and bling and head for the nearest retirement home? I'm sorry, but watching a 70 year old man (who was the least talented singer of the group) gyrating on the stage is NOT my idea of entertainment.
I always like Keith Richards' comment on the matter, that if he was 80 years old and in a wheelchair, if people wanted to see him, he'd go out and play.

But then, Keith impressed me as one of the more thoughtful and mature rockers out there. He lived through superstardom and heroin addiction and came out the other side with his head on reasonably straight.

The problem is perception. Rock is viewed as young people's music. Would folks have an issue with a famous jazz player (or country musician) turning 70 and still recording/touring?

I don't have an issue with Ringo or anyone else still wanting to go out there and do it. The question is whether they've grown up, and their music will reflect their age. Years back, I met the late Buddy Miles. Buddy was a top drummer who had played in the Electric Flag, played with Carlos Santana, and been the drummer for Jimi Hendrix's Band of Gypsies. When I met him, he was on a downturn, caused by cocaine addiction and other issues. But he was leader of a current version of the Band of Gypsies, and stated he was thinking about making some changes in the band. He thought the 60's would come back big.

What I wanted to tell him was "Yeah, you were huge in the 60's, and the music may come back. But it's been 30 years, and you're a different person now. Take the '60s as a base, but build on it using all you've learned and been through since. Otherwise, you'll be like the '50s doo-wop acts, still touring and endlessly repeating the same hits that made them famous back then. Is that what you want to do?"

There are plenty of folks from back then still around and doing great stuff. A while back, Moby Grape, a San Francisco band I hadn't seen the first time around, did some club dates in NYC. It was one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Age isn't the factor. Style and subject is. The rocker who was every girl's masturbatory fantasy back when will only be sad still trying to do that at 70. The rocker that just wanted to make good music and put on a great show might well still have a place.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:25 PM   #58
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
I always like Keith Richards' comment on the matter, that if he was 80 years old and in a wheelchair, if people wanted to see him, he'd go out and play.

But then, Keith impressed me as one of the more thoughtful and mature rockers out there. He lived through superstardom and heroin addiction and came out the other side with his head on reasonably straight.

The problem is perception. Rock is viewed as young people's music. Would folks have an issue with a famous jazz player (or country musician) turning 70 and still recording/touring?

I don't have an issue with Ringo or anyone else still wanting to go out there and do it. The question is whether they've grown up, and their music will reflect their age. Years back, I met the late Buddy Miles. Buddy was a top drummer who had played in the Electric Flag, played with Carlos Santana, and been the drummer for Jimi Hendrix's Band of Gypsies. When I met him, he was on a downturn, caused by cocaine addiction and other issues. But he was leader of a current version of the Band of Gypsies, and stated he was thinking about making some changes in the band. He thought the 60's would come back big.

What I wanted to tell him was "Yeah, you were huge in the 60's, and the music may come back. But it's been 30 years, and you're a different person now. Take the '60s as a base, but build on it using all you've learned and been through since. Otherwise, you'll be like the '50s doo-wop acts, still touring and endlessly repeating the same hits that made them famous back then. Is that what you want to do?"

There are plenty of folks from back then still around and doing great stuff. A while back, Moby Grape, a San Francisco band I hadn't seen the first time around, did some club dates in NYC. It was one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Age isn't the factor. Style and subject is. The rocker who was every girl's masturbatory fantasy back when will only be sad still trying to do that at 70. The rocker that just wanted to make good music and put on a great show might well still have a place.
______
Dennis

I just like to add that traditionally, blues musicians were considered to just be hitting their peaks around 70.....
Old 02-11-2010, 02:49 PM   #59
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
London to open 1st exercise area for older people

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100210/...60s_playground

(thought of this thread when I read the article)

happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:54 PM   #60
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:

54 in Hollywood Years. Like dog years for people with massive egos and too much money.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote