Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-10-2010, 02:11 PM   #1
P.X. Fort
Connoisseur
P.X. Fort doesn't litterP.X. Fort doesn't litter

Device: JetBook Lite; EeePC 1005HA
Explain it to me like I'm a 5 year old!!!

I almost pulled the trigger and went to Bestbuy today to pick up a Sony PRS 300.

BUT

I stopped to make sure of one thing. I downloaded (kindle for pc) I then downloaded the the free Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin. I have been reading this version from amazon and like it. I want to download this exact copy on the Sony PRS 300 if I buy it.

I searched for the file folder where the kindle books are located but cannot figure it out. Also i have no idea what to do with it once I find it.

This is what I know. I need to convert the amazon format (AZW, TOPAZ) version of the autobiography to a format the Sony PRS 300 can use. This format is ePub as I understand it.

The most popular free software to do the conversion is Calibre.

So: how do I locate the amazon file on my pc and where do I go from there.
P.X. Fort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Books for Kindle4PC automatically get stored in a folder called "My Kindle Content". You will find this folder in the "My Documents" folder.

Unfortunately, the second part of your question is a bit more complex. If the book downloaded is topaz format (indicated by a file extension of azw1) then you cannot remove the drm so that it could be converted to work on a Sony 300. If the book is a mobipocket format book, (indicated by a file extension of azw) then the drm can be removed so that the file could be converted to other formats.

The process can be somewhat complicated for folks uncomfortable with computing as it requires installing some programming software called python and finding a script on the internet written in that language. It is Mobileread policy not to allow direct links and detailed instructions for accomplishing this.

Perhaps a better question for yourself is "where will I be getting the majority of my ebooks", and "how much manipulation am I willing to do to read them on my device".

Amazon certainly has the largest collection and most attractive overall pricing if you will purchase the majority of your ebook. However, Sony is directly compatible with ebooks from the U.S. Public libraries and Kindle is not. It takes a good bit of work to manipulate ebooks from the library to work on a Kindle. Some of the U.S. libraries have a treasure of ebooks that you can read for free.

Hope this helps in making a decision. We all love reading ebooks.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
In your documents folder you should have a folder called "My Kindle Content" your document should be found their. Mine had a cryptic name (B000JMLMXI_EBOK). Using Calibre click on "Add Books" and had the book. The book does not appear to have any DRM on it so you can just use Calibre to convert it to the format you want. But instead of doing all this. The book is already available on this site. It is a part of the Harvard Classics Series. Download the LRF version and put it on your new 300. The books on MR are usually better formatted then the ones you can find elsewhere.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11670

Another version with graphics can be found here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10976

Last edited by Madam Broshkina; 01-10-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:56 PM   #4
P.X. Fort
Connoisseur

Ok thanks I found the folder called My kindle content. I found the book files.
The file is BOOJMXI_EBOK.prc

The file extension is .prc so this is a generic format according to the calibre FAQ. so .prc/.mobi are one in the same??

ok so I can conver this with calibre...good....
Old 01-10-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
P.X. Fort
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
In your documents folder you should have a folder called "My Kindle Content" your document should be found their. Mine had a cryptic name (B000JMLMXI_EBOK). Using Calibre click on "Add Books" and had the book. The book does not appear to have any DRM on it so you can just use Calibre to convert it to the format you want. But instead of doing all this. The book is already available on this site. It is a part of the Harvard Classics Series. Download the LRF version and put it on your new 300. The books on MR are usually better formatted then the ones you can find elsewhere.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11670

Another version with graphics can be found here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10976
Ok are these versions exactly the same as the amazon version here.
http://www.amazon.com/Autobiography-...pr_product_top
I cannot open the .lrf files to read them..((YET! )

I'm hooked on this version
Advert
Old 01-10-2010, 03:34 PM   #6
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
Open the lrf with Calibre, you can read it there
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:14 PM   #7
P.X. Fort
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post
Open the lrf with Calibre, you can read it there
Great!!!

Ok Thanks for all the help.
Everything worked like a charm... The .lrf is opened in Calibre and is the same as the amazon kindle version.. I wasn't sure if they were exact but they appear to be.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:51 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.X. Fort View Post
Ok thanks I found the folder called My kindle content. I found the book files.
The file is BOOJMXI_EBOK.prc

The file extension is .prc so this is a generic format according to the calibre FAQ. so .prc/.mobi are one in the same??

ok so I can conver this with calibre...good....
I know you managed to convert, but I'd like to get one thing right! Even though an Amazon book has the .prc extension, that doesn't mean it's a mobipocket book. Even Topaz books have the .prc extension. The only know for certain if it's a Topaz or Mobipocket book is by looking inside the file itself. Open it with notepad, if the first three characters are "TPZ", it's a Topaz book...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:07 PM   #9
P.X. Fort
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I know you managed to convert, but I'd like to get one thing right! Even though an Amazon book has the .prc extension, that doesn't mean it's a mobipocket book. Even Topaz books have the .prc extension. The only know for certain if it's a Topaz or Mobipocket book is by looking inside the file itself. Open it with notepad, if the first three characters are "TPZ", it's a Topaz book...
Ok I opened it in note pad to see. The first characters are the as in the autobiography of...

later on it has BOOKMOBI.. what ever that means.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:25 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.X. Fort View Post
later on it has BOOKMOBI.. what ever that means.
That means that it is indeed a Mobipocket book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote