Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you want/need dictionary support in your reader?
Yes. 303 78.50%
No. 79 20.47%
Other (please explain) 4 1.04%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-2009, 02:13 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Epub dictionaries

I want to move from Mobipocket to Epub. The main reason I haven't is the lack of features like dictionary support. No Epub reader software supports it (aside from maybe FBReader).

I was just exchanging emails with someone at Adobe, and I was told that while it's a neat feature, most people don't use it. Let's see if that is true.

This poll is open to everyone who reads ebooks, not just Epub users.

Last edited by Nate the great; 05-19-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:22 PM   #2
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Dictionary support will be a Primary factor in my selection of an e-Reader. While I'm not fond of Amazon's trend toward a closed-market approach, their dictionary feature makes the K2 and Kdx very desireable in my view. In fact, if the new Sony device this summer/fall doesn't have dictionary support, I'll be a Kindle owner.

If Adobe supports dictionary capabilities, I'll be inclined to use their products, otherwise not. Can't say I wouldn't ever buy in that format, but given the choice of purchasing in a format that supports dictionary lookup (ePub) and one that doesn't (Adobe), I'd pick the one that does even if it required a 10-15% premium. I'm just one of those readers that likes a dictionary because I purposefully select books to expand me and introduce concepts and words I don't already know.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2009, 02:22 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I don't do dictionary lookups very much if at all.

But I do like knowing the facility is there. I would hope to see it in ePub readers, once they get around to defining a dictionary format for ePub books...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I want to move from Mobipocket to Epub. The main reason I haven't is the lack of features like dictionary support. No Epub reader software supports it (aside from maybe FBReader).

I was just exchanging emails with someone at Adobe, and I was told that while it's a neat feature, most people don't use it. Let's see if that is true.

This poll is open to everyone who reads ebooks, not just Epub users.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:26 PM   #4
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
I usually eschew using dictionaries while reading, whether physical books or eBooks, in favor of figuring out the meaning of the word from context. I am much more likely to do a quick dictionary search while writing, to double check a word means what I think it means.
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Since 90% of the ebooks I read are in English and that isn't my native language, YES I do want dictionary support.
When de cybook firmwareupdate comes and they will replace mobi by epub, I won't even update my cybook just for that reason alone.

So show the guy at Adobe this poll.........so far 100% in favor of dictionary support ......

Last edited by ErwinOtten; 05-19-2009 at 04:49 PM.
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
Peverel
Still Easily Confused
Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I, also, try to gain the understanding of a word or phrase from its context rather than a dictionary and only resort to looking up a word when I feel I have missed the point of the passage or sentence
Peverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:31 PM   #7
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I think the enhanced dictionary look-up feature on the K2 is the greatest improvement from K1 to K2 - the ability to put the cursor on the word and at least see a partial definition without having to leave the page is a real plus for me.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:34 PM   #8
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I was just exchanging emails with someone at Adobe, and I was told that while it's a neat feature, most people don't use it.
It's vital if you like to read books in other then your native language! And why try to make a new standard format for ebooks that is a step back?!
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:34 PM   #9
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
All through my school years, I spent a lot of mornings reading the dictionaries in the school library (primarily to have rhyming word or a word with the right number of sylables when writing metric verse). My ride put me at the school about forty minutes before classes started so that was a lot of time spent.

I hardly ever need a dictionary for anything except technical jargon in an area with which I am unfamiliar. But I only read novels on book readers.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:47 PM   #10
Sundara
Enthusiast
Sundara began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Kindle Keyboard,Kindle Touch,Cybook Opus, Iphone
Hello !
when I saw this poll I immediately decided to finally register here in this wonderful forum ! I am definitely in need of dictionary support.. it is vital to my reading experience and I would be happy if Sony and other companies integrated this function into their devices/if the epub format could also offer this feature as I live in Europe and epub will obviously be the most supported format over here! As English is not my mother tongue I deeply appreciate the idea to be able to look up an English word without interrupting my reading experience for too long.

Many greetings from Germany to all Mobileread forum members and lurking readers ;-) ( I have been one of the latters for such a loooong time... the Mobile read forum has become my "daily bread" ;-) what a fantastic site !! )

Sundara
Sundara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:59 PM   #11
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I was very happy when Stanza offered dictionary look-up for words. I didn't know how great it was till I actually used it.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:01 PM   #12
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
I am willing to look up words in a paper dictionary if I need to look something up. The experience of a link to a dictionary definition is too computer like and disturbs my reading experience. I want something that functions like a book, not another laptop. If the feature is incorporated I want to be able to disable it.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:07 PM   #13
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Although I use MS Word's dictionary/thesaurus quite a lot while I'm writing (what *is* that word, it's on the tips of my fingers. . . ?) I don't think I've ever used a dictionary while reading, except when I took French in college.

Although I do like to *read* dictionaries - it's not anything I use when I'm reading books.

Last edited by khalleron; 05-19-2009 at 03:09 PM.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:08 PM   #14
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
I hardly ever need a dictionary for anything except technical jargon in an area with which I am unfamiliar. But I only read novels on book readers.
Wow.

And novels that you read never-ever-ever venture into the technical jargon in area that you are not familiar with? Say, sailboats? Airplanes? Ancient artisan tools or methods?
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:10 PM   #15
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
Wow.

And novels that you read never-ever-ever venture into the technical jargon in area that you are not familiar with? Say, sailboats? Airplanes? Ancient artisan tools or methods?
I am actually pretty familiar with all of those.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote