Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-14-2008, 06:26 PM   #1
yuuringuyen
yuuringuyen began at the beginning.

Device: undecided
file format .prc for sony prs505?

Hi,
I want to buy a sony reader PRS 505 but I'm still confused about formats it support. I have a lots of ebook .prc with unicode Vietnamese. Will it work when I drag those files into PRS 505?
Thanks
yuuringuyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 06:37 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
No, it won't work out-of-box.
1) PRS-505 doesn't support PRC format, so you'll need first to convert it to something it understands. A program called Calibre will probably help you here.
2) The default fonts on PRS-505 cover only Latin characters used in Western languages. The don't have all necessary letters for Vietnamese. So you'll need to replace the fonts. There is a guide available on these forums which describes the process step-by-step.

P.S. You can skip step 2 by using EPUB format with embedded fonts. But I think Calibre doesn't support font embedding yet.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2008, 07:34 PM   #3
yuuringuyen
yuuringuyen began at the beginning.

Device: undecided
So, as you said, should I consider the Cybook instead because I mainly use mobi-format files which is .prc
I heard that Mobi-format is the most dominant format now. I want to buy the reader support the most format? Does any one have any idea?
yuuringuyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:07 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I think the Cybook is your best bet, because it has MOBI support and user installable fonts.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote