Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-08-2008, 11:35 AM   #76
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Wow, talk about disappointing. All of that effort, cost, and waste, for that? Nice try, but not nice enough, in my opinion.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:26 PM   #77
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
A co-worker and I just went and picked up copies --- neat, and pretty cool for $5.99 plus tax, though I wonder if there'll be another, since I wonder how cost-effective the advertising will be for Ford.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2008, 01:32 PM   #78
xianfox
Ebook Addict
xianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
That's the best use of eink Ford could think of? Wow. Just, wow.

*shakes head*
xianfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:51 PM   #79
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I'd consider picking one up if anyone has a "homebrew" idea for making an ebook reader from the screens.

After all... 10 inches? Non-fragile? There must be SOMETHING we can do with this.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:02 PM   #80
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unfortunately, it looks like each display has a limited number of pre-defined regions which can be turned on or off --- the Ford ad just has 4 by my count (semi-abstract shapes --- the two wheels constitute one area), while the Esquire cover has 12:

- The 21st Century
- Begins
- Now ->
8 rectangles
- and the background

There's a coloured overlay over each e-ink display --- probably one could do something interesting by creating new overlays and then either using the chip as it is, or re-programming a new one for a different animation sequence / timing / order --- but I don't think it'd be possible to make an ebook display or PDA using the existing controller, save for the simplest (do an overlay w/ pre-printed appts. &c. on it and backlight them according to a timer), but see my later post for a possible work-around.

William

Last edited by WillAdams; 09-09-2008 at 07:49 AM. Reason: figured out how many areas the Ford ad really has
Advert
Old 09-08-2008, 03:06 PM   #81
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I suppose pre-defined regions could reduce the production cost, except that you'd have to tool up just to create this particular screen series. Wouldn't that be wasteful? And expensive? I guess I had assumed they had used the same basic stock for the display, but a much simpler controller, perhaps, and I was hoping we could splice in a different controller.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:09 PM   #82
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I can't find it. I went to Borders, Barnes & Noble, local grocery store and local drug store. Where Esquire was available, it was still the September issue. I had the Borders folks check in the back room and they said they hadn't received the new issue yet.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:18 PM   #83
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I can't find it. I went to Borders, Barnes & Noble, local grocery store and local drug store. Where Esquire was available, it was still the September issue. I had the Borders folks check in the back room and they said they hadn't received the new issue yet.
I also checked. I won't be able to get it until Wednesday.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:21 PM   #84
WillAdams
Wizard

There're only a couple of lines coming out of each display, fewer for the Ford ad (4, I think, w/ 2 not-connected leads, 6 for the Esquire cover), and the animation works if one plugs in the connector upside down (just in reverse order for the Esquire cover, only 2 regions for the Ford ad).

But, it seems one could by-pass the controller and develop a small board to flip the e-ink particles w/o using the provided controller --- it'd have to be strong enough to work through the metallic backing unless one could delaminate it --- but you could hopefully address a fine enough grid to do something interesting.

William
Old 09-08-2008, 03:22 PM   #85
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
wow, the cover is all about how we are in the 21st century, and next page Ford put an add for a gas guggling SUV
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:10 PM   #86
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I think it is pretty cool. It will be even better when the firmware upgrade comes out. I can't hardly wait!
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:24 PM   #87
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I'd consider picking one up if anyone has a "homebrew" idea for making an ebook reader from the screens.

After all... 10 inches? Non-fragile? There must be SOMETHING we can do with this.
I can see this idea as leading to fancy (and rather wasteful) birthday cards.
A few years ago someone developed birthday card which played irritating music when you opened them. I foresee birthday cards with irritating moving images.
(Anyone who develops this idea may feel free to send me a small - or large - donation.)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:33 PM   #88
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
I think it is pretty cool. It will be even better when the firmware upgrade comes out. I can't hardly wait!
pfff !!!
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:26 AM   #89
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I can see this idea as leading to fancy (and rather wasteful) birthday cards.
A few years ago someone developed birthday card which played irritating music when you opened them. I foresee birthday cards with irritating moving images.
(Anyone who develops this idea may feel free to send me a small - or large - donation.)
Oh, absolutely. And mediatronic wrapping paper and chopsticks in frozen meals that have little animated logos on them (see Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age).

When what we really want is A Young Lady's Primer (same source).
Old 09-09-2008, 12:13 PM   #90
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Esquire's E-Ink Display Dismantled. Result: Hackable
http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/0...res-e-ink.html
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!