Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-26-2015, 01:04 PM   #1
1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: phone
What are some good books/magazines to send to your wife in jail?

my wife is going to jail for the next six months. I might a lot of flack for supporting someone who broke the law l but since she has no history of this her crime wasn't against me or our child so I am willing to stick by her. I was wondering what are some good books or magazines out that are good to send to an inmate.
, I honestly don't read much and I was thinking maybe there were some good specific books you can send to someone in jail. She's 36 if that helps . Don't even know what books are targeted toward that age group
The types not allowed are things inciting racial hatred, rioting, making drugs, violence or escaping from jail but that's nothing to worry about she would never read that kind of stuff anyway
main thing I wonder if there are some good specific books or magazines for someone in jail. And also maybe what kind of books or magazines would not be a good idea
1924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 01:47 PM   #2
abqkjh
Zealot
abqkjh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abqkjh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abqkjh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abqkjh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abqkjh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abqkjh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abqkjh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abqkjh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abqkjh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abqkjh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abqkjh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto e5
Some suggestions

I have no experience with this type of thing, but my personal feelings are that (if she likes them) you might want to focus on Science Fiction and Fantasy types of books rather than "Contemporary." Contemporary describes books that take place in our own time and in real places, which she is currently cut off from.

Alternatively, you can send her several different types and then ask her which she liked. Amazon and other retailer's pages usually show you more books like the one you are looking at, which could help you find more of the ones she likes. Or if you aren't comfortable shopping online, a local librarian should be able to suggest similar books.

It might also be a good time to start one or more series that have lots of books in them.

Good Luck and Good Wishes.
abqkjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2015, 02:12 PM   #3
1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1924 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My 14 year old daughter suggested Twilight and Harry Potter. Would a 37 year old woman enjoy those?
Old 04-26-2015, 02:40 PM   #4
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Harry Potter, yes.

Twilight, NO!

Send her big tomes like Cryptonomicon. Or better yet, long series she could get lost in, buy all paperbacks of Wheel of Time (go to a used book seller, there are 14 of them). That would be more than a month passing in a flash (audiobooks take 20 days, so, two months seems fair).
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:50 PM   #5
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1924 View Post
My 14 year old daughter suggested Twilight and Harry Potter. Would a 37 year old woman enjoy those?
Of course! No one in their right mind would dislike either of those!!

Seriously though, I agree with the other suggestions. Sci-Fi/Fantasy and long series to keep the mind interested in the whole story.
some recommendations (in addition to Twilight and HP):

Raymond E. Feist - Magician Series (30 books)
Frank Herbert (and later son Brian Herbert) - Dune series (19 Books and counting)... I don't think the authorities would consider Melange a "drug"??
Anne McCaffey - Dragonriders of Pern series (27+ Books)
Marrion Zimmer Bradley - Darkover series (27+ books)
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2015, 03:26 PM   #6
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
God bless your family.

As for books, it has to do with whether your wife wants books that will help her escape a bit from her surroundings, or better understand them. Other posters are assuming it is the first, and I suppose that most people would feel that way. But everyone is different.

I loved Orange Is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison:

http://www.amazon.com/Orange-Is-New-.../dp/0385523394

Author Piper Kerman mentions in there books she read to prepare (she had very long advance notice of incarceration). I can't recall what they were, but some are probably here:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...men%27s+prison

Just to open it up to categories other than fiction, and non-fiction about prisons, this gives ideas that maybe you could run by your wife:

http://chicagobwp.org/how-to-help/donations/
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 03:41 PM   #7

also do your suggestions fit those criteria I mentioned?

My wife hasn't really read a book just for enjoyment for a long time. She recently watched TV shows like Homeland and True Blood. I heard the latter is based on a book series. Maybe that? I think escapist fiction is the main good thing. But I do wonder about that Orange is the New Black book. I hear it is good.

As for magazines my wife read things like Time, Vogue, Vanity Fair, and fitness magazines. I wonder if those would be allowed. I wonder if there are any fitness type of books as well

Last edited by 1924; 04-26-2015 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:47 PM   #8
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Here are women's fitness books from WalMart:

http://www.walmart.com/search/?query...ss&cat_id=3920

For rules, see:

http://books2prisons.com/

You didn't mention it, but I'm guessing that Sudoku books are fairly popular in that setting:

http://imailtoprison.com/Dell-Sudoku...-books-pz1.htm

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 04-26-2015 at 03:54 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:03 PM   #9
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1924 View Post
My wife hasn't really read a book just for enjoyment for a long time. She recently watched TV shows like Homeland and True Blood. I heard the latter is based on a book series.
The Southern Vampire (or Sookie Stackhouse) series by Charlaine Harris is quite good...although it was heavily "HBO-ized" to make it into "True Blood". The books are filled with violence and some drugs...although of a paranormal variety...I hear vampire blood makes for an interesting evening??

Likewise the Dune series has some conflict resolution that could be seen as violent... I have absolutely no problem letting my children read it - they are considered classics on the level of Lord of the Rings. I even started reading them aloud to my two youngest. I don't know how strict the authorities are in interpreting their rules. Do they mean "no violence" as in every story has to be puppies and bunnies living together in peace and harmony with lions and tigers? or do they allow fantasy and fictional conflict?? Sorry, I don't know.

I think it would be an excellent idea to give her a synopsis of the story lines and see if any of them interest her.

Best wishes!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:18 PM   #10
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
A lot of young adult books are upbeat.
Try some of those too.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:32 PM   #11
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
The James Herriot novels are light, humorous and feel good...you might take a look.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:56 PM   #12
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
I would suggest a *light and fluffy* read if allowed. Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series is a hoot! Definitely take your mind off of your surroundings!
When someone I knew did weekends for a DUI he really really enjoyed Readers Digest magazine. Even old ones. The jokes and stores in there are pretty timeless. And short enough to read in one sitting.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:07 PM   #13
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
You should check with the jail to find out if she is allowed to have an ereader. Our jail doesn't allow them. I donated several boxes of books (mysteries, thrillers, westerns, romance) to the jail and guards and prisoners alike can access all of these from a 'library' of other donations.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:05 PM   #14

It doesn't look like electronic devices are allowed. So physical books are the things that should be sent
Old 04-26-2015, 07:53 PM   #15
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
If she likes the classics there are a lot of good books to choose from. Pilgrim's Progress comes to mind as one of those.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote