Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-20-2015, 01:11 AM   #1
8ooty8ump
8ooty8ump began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Smile Kindle Voyage Serial Jailbreak - Where are the instructions?!

I don't want to sound like a n00b (well electronics yes) as I'm far from that, but I have been pulling my hair out on how to find the instructions for the serial jailbreak for the Kindle Voyage. I have tried searching/prefixing and nothing except THIS thread which to me just shows 3 copper wires soldered to the 3 serial pins and that's it. I have come across speak in some other threads where people mention the serial jailbreak but they don't give anymore information than that! It appears this jailbreak is elusive and only known by a select secret few lol

I would really appreciate someone pointing me to somewhere with some plain English easy to follow instructions for this hack. I would have thought this would have been made a sticky somewhere but I'm obviously not finding it!

Last edited by 8ooty8ump; 04-20-2015 at 01:15 AM.
8ooty8ump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:19 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Same basic idea as here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254400
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2015, 08:06 AM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ooty8ump View Post
I don't want to sound like a n00b (well electronics yes) as I'm far from that, but I have been pulling my hair out on how to find the instructions for the serial jailbreak for the Kindle Voyage. I have tried searching/prefixing and nothing except THIS thread which to me just shows 3 copper wires soldered to the 3 serial pins and that's it.
- - - -
Yup, you found it (at least one of them, there are several), that is the thread.
The only differences in the procedure among the devices running 5.x series firmware is the location of the serial port.

After looking at the pretty pictures, try (again) to read the words of the first post.
That first post contains a sentence which summarizes the entire process.

(if reading Playboy, look at the pictures; if reading this forum pay attention to the words. )

Last edited by knc1; 04-20-2015 at 09:33 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:10 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Thanks.

I re-read that and find that it has aged a bit.
Edit:
I added the link to the PW2 location of the 1v8 reference in that thread.

Since the O.P. is not using an adapter that uses an external reference, it doesn't really matter here.

Last edited by knc1; 04-20-2015 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:42 PM   #5
8ooty8ump
8ooty8ump began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Thanks. When it means a serial interface, you mean the old style RS-232 sockets (that most new devices do not have! lol).

Fortunately, I still have a desktop with it but I wondered if I could use a USB cable and set it up as a virtual serial port instead or will only a RS-232 connection work?
8ooty8ump is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2015, 08:18 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
There are ways and ways. You can get a serial-to-USB adapter and plug it into any USB-compliant computer.

Again, there are several threads discussing the matter, another interesting read is knc1's KT2 Exposed thread. Very thorough teardown and analysis of the KT2 hardware.

Last edited by eschwartz; 04-20-2015 at 08:21 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:34 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Thanks. When it means a serial interface, you mean the old style RS-232 sockets (that most new devices do not have! lol).

Fortunately, I still have a desktop with it but I wondered if I could use a USB cable and set it up as a virtual serial port instead or will only a RS-232 connection work?
Almost "old style" -
As I recall, RS-232 is based on 12volt signal levels.
That will most certainly fry your Kindle.

The serial communications details between the "old style" and current practice in low power devices is only the voltage of the signal levels.

Some devices (ahh... some cell phones) are using 1v2 ( that is: 1.2 volt) signal levels for their RS-232 serial protocol.

- - - -

As mentioned other places in this forum, FTDI makes a serial adapter cable for 1v8 to USB - it is a bit more expensive than the MicroFTX board.

When other posters at this forum introduced me to the MicroFTX board, I started using them, since they are small enough that you can usually find someplace inside the Kindle to mount it.

Last edited by knc1; 04-20-2015 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:31 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - - -
I would really appreciate someone pointing me to somewhere with some plain English easy to follow instructions for this hack. I would have thought this would have been made a sticky somewhere but I'm obviously not finding it!
Sticky: "Where do I start?" ->
Prefix Index ->
Hardware:Serial Port ->
Serial Port Information ->
1v8 serial adapter level shifter ->
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=162775

Which is a level shifter that allows use of 3v3 (or 5v0) adapter with the 1v8 Kindle ports.

- - - - -

But until the MicroFTX card is available (again) . . . .
http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cab...BTTLSerial.htm

FTDI has a number of distributors, world-wide, from which you can order the ::
TTL-232RG-VREG1V8-WE (internal reference) or
TTL-232RG-VIP-WE (external reference) adapter cable.
(Hint: just google the desired part number above)

Last edited by knc1; 04-21-2015 at 12:54 AM.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:14 AM   #9
Fridolf
Fridolf began at the beginning.

Device: K4, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Sticky: "Where do I start?" ->
Prefix Index ->
Hardware:Serial Port ->
Serial Port Information ->
1v8 serial adapter level shifter ->
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=162775

Which is a level shifter that allows use of 3v3 (or 5v0) adapter with the 1v8 Kindle ports.

- - - - -

But until the MicroFTX card is available (again) . . . .
http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cab...BTTLSerial.htm

FTDI has a number of distributors, world-wide, from which you can order the ::
TTL-232RG-VREG1V8-WE (internal reference) or
TTL-232RG-VIP-WE (external reference) adapter cable.
(Hint: just google the desired part number above)
What is the practical difference between those two cables? My guess is that TTL-232RG-VREG1V8-WE only needs to be soldered to three points at the motherboard and the TTL-232RG-VIP-WE needs a fourth point (1.8V) but I wanted to be sure before ordering. I'm choosing between one of those FTDI cables and this one: USB-A UART Bridge CP2104
Fridolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:20 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

The "internal reference" cable is for 1v8 interface only.

The "external reference" cable is for the device's full range of interface voltages, as required by the device it will be used with.
This is only significant if the cable is to be used with devices in addition to the Kindle.

The card **supplies** external power, not uses an external reference.
It is specifically for 3v3 interface devices only.

- - - -

Translation: Get the "internal reference" cable.

Last edited by knc1; 05-03-2015 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:02 AM   #11
Fridolf
Fridolf began at the beginning.

Device: K4, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The "internal reference" cable is for 1v8 interface only.

The "external reference" cable is for the device's full range of interface voltages, as required by the device it will be used with.
This is only significant if the cable is to be used with devices in addition to the Kindle.

The card **supplies** external power, not uses an external reference.
It is specifically for 3v3 interface devices only.

- - - -

Translation: Get the "internal reference" cable.
Great explonation, thank you!
Fridolf is offline   Reply With Quote