Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 06-13-2008, 11:20 AM   #1
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Extracting markups (annotations and highlites) from your ebook!

Mobileread member "vinicius0881" recently asked me to further explore the possibility of retrieving some highlights made on the ebookwise ETI-2 (that he had just ordered and was 'hoping' to be able to do this!).

I was intrigued by his request as I had always wanted to know if this could be done, but never had any reason to pursue this further. Thanks for his request, as this turned out to be relatively easy to do i.e. retrieve all markups/annotations (drawing/scribbles and highlites) from the external storage card. (SmartMedia for EBW 1150 or CompactFlash for REB 1200). On the iLiad this feature is handled by a Scribble Merger. On the 1150/1200, it must be done manually (for now)!

What is required:
1. External card reader i.e. SM card reader for 1150 or CF card reader for 1200.

2. Determine the .RES name associated with your .imp. Many .imp files are renamed after being created to be more descriptive, however, the .RES directory name originally used must be known. You may wish to unimp.exe the .imp to see that directory name that is extracted or use a hex/binary editor to view the .imp and look for a name ending in .RES at the top. Once known, the .RES directory name will be the directory to retrieve from the external card.

3. After drawing/scribbling/highlighting the ebook on the ebookwise, turn off the unit. Remove the external card and place it in your PC card reader. EBW 1150 owners are advised to "cycle on-off" their ebook reader to avoid memory card corruption (see IMP for further details).

4. Navigate to the external card reader's drive letter and in the 'ebooks' directory therein, look for the .RES directory name determined in step 2 above.

5. Copy that .RES directory to your hard drive, where you want the newly marked-up .imp to be stored.

6. Using sbtest.exe, reimp that .RES directory by launching the 'sbtest.exe' program and navigating to the .RES directory stored on your hard drive in step 5. Double-click that .RES directory name and notice that the 'ReImp!' button is now activated. Click the 'ReImp!' button and your (markup) .imp will be created.

7. Now view your markup .imp in the PC imp viewer and (optionally) print it to a .pdf driver (like the free PrimoPDF from www.primopdf.com).
As a test, I used a REB 1200 .imp file I had converted from .prc (Mobipocket - Orwell Animal Farm_1200.imp) and marked up. On the first page, I drew/scribbled, on page two, I only used highlights (one continuous one and nine individual word ones) and lastly on page three, I drew (not too well!) some annotations. These markups were printed out (first 4 pages only) to a pdf file for easy transporting/printing. I also ran the before and after .imp through imp_dump.pl to see the differences and their output.txt are attached below. It turns out that the marked-up .imp has, 4 new filetypes in the .RES folder i.e BTok, Ano2, MRPs and Hlts. An additional file, BPos, records the page the ebook was on when it was closed!

FYI, the page one and page three annotations are stored in PICT image format as .png of size 158x51 and 105x140 respectively whereas the page two highlites are stored as a start and stop position for each of the 10 highlights made.

As of yet, the ebookwise's external card cannot be accessed by the PC when connected via the usb cable, otherwise this could be done from the PC if the external card would show up as a drive letter on the PC. Oh well, anybody have any insights here?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OrwellAnimalFarm-before.jpg
Views:	1813
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	13487   Click image for larger version

Name:	OrwellAnimalFarm-after-pg1.jpg
Views:	2209
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	13488   Click image for larger version

Name:	OrwellAnimalFarm-after-pg2.jpg
Views:	1868
Size:	249.9 KB
ID:	13489   Click image for larger version

Name:	OrwellAnimalFarm-after-pg3.jpg
Views:	1785
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	13490  
Attached Files
File Type: imp Mobipocket - Orwell Animal Farm_1200_markups.imp (150.8 KB, 1605 views)
File Type: pdf OrwellAnimalFarm markups test.pdf (116.0 KB, 1675 views)
File Type: txt OrwellAnimalFarm-after markups.txt (11.6 KB, 1490 views)
File Type: txt OrwellAnimalFarm-before.txt (10.6 KB, 1467 views)

Last edited by nrapallo; 06-15-2008 at 09:36 PM. Reason: added images of pages before & after markups
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:48 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
oh, brilliant !!! it always seemed idiotic that we should be able to write on our texts but that the notes were doomed to remain uselessly on the device, impossible to export or capture for use elsewhere. this is a brilliant utility which will definitely open up new worlds of uses for me !! thanks nick, you've done it again !! (groupie mode : on)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2008, 10:55 AM   #3
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It turns out that the two annotations ('draw'ing-type markups) are NOT in PNG format, but an (internal) undocumented PICT image format. See below .zip file for the actual PICT image files. Anyone recognize this image format and able to view them?

The two .png images I saw, listed in the imp_dump.pl text output, were the ones in the ebook I extracted, namely, the 'Animal Farm cover' picture as well a 'mobileread logo' picture of size 105x140 and 158x51 respectively.

Oh, well! Now I have to explore this new (old) PICT format to see if the annotations are an 'overlay' image (which I suspect) over the text. Extracting just those 'overlay' images may not be fruitful if no ebook text is there to reference it.

I think, in the long-run, the printing to a .pdf file is a better solution than extracting the image!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PNG_11636.png
Views:	1616
Size:	2.5 KB
ID:	13543  
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip markups_PICT_pg1_pg3.zip (10.6 KB, 1588 views)
Old 06-15-2008, 11:13 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i believe pict is the native mac image format, something like bmp on a pc. i could be wrong. they should be viewable on any computer though, and editable with any image-editing soft, if i'm not mistaken.

EDIT i tried to view the two images in your zip file. they launched the QuickTime Picture Viewer, which would seem confirm that they are supposed to be mac .pict files, however i got an error message both times : "Impossible d'afficher "PICT_pg3.pic" car aucun module d'importation graphique adéquat n'est disponible." "Impossible to display "PICT_pg3.pic" because no adequate graphic importation module is available." so perhaps they are in some kind of modified pict format, OR perhaps those 2 images were corrupted somewhere, OR perhaps you need a specific codex to see them. but i would look into mac pict files to see if there is any clue there.

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 06-15-2008 at 11:20 AM.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:28 AM   #5
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i believe pict is the native mac image format, something like bmp on a pc. i could be wrong. they should be viewable on any computer though, and editable with any image-editing soft, if i'm not mistaken.
While what you are describing is the (Apple) PICT format; it seems this (modified) one is a bit different. If you notice, the ebookwise has the look and feel of Apple menus/icons and this format was, I think a product of that mindset.

However, I saw a comment here at mobileread made by scotty1024 that the original Softbook (aka REB 1200) ebook reader was to incorporate the Apple Macintosh OS, but Apple changed their mind about licencing it prior to shipping of the units.

It will only be a matter of time before we are able to decode this PICT format. I'm just looking for an easy way (i.e. one that I don't have to do )

EDIT: Oops you came to the same conclusion as I was writing this.

Last edited by nrapallo; 06-15-2008 at 11:30 AM.
Advert
Old 06-15-2008, 11:42 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've stuck the thread for easier finding. Well done nrapallo.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:16 PM   #7
vinicius0881
vinicius0881 began at the beginning.

Device: EBW1150
highlites pointers

awesome nick, thanks for your efforts(as i've said a dozen times lol) i'm definitely in debt with you and daudi(with his work on the iliad)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
... whereas the page two highlites are stored as a start and stop position for each of the 10 highlights made.
as the highlites part requires an additional processing to fetch the text stored as pointers, i'd ask you please to see sometime if they're numbered relative to the book's beggining or is the sequence reset dinamically according to a page start(taking account font size and such formatting options) would you? i'm keeping an eye in the mail tracking system... really can't wait to put my hands in my first display! (that's why i'm a bit lost :P )
vinicius0881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:07 PM   #8
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinicius0881 View Post
awesome nick, thanks for your efforts(as i've said a dozen times lol) i'm definitely in debt with you and daudi(with his work on the iliad)!

as the highlites part requires an additional processing to fetch the text stored as pointers, i'd ask you please to see sometime if they're numbered relative to the book's beggining or is the sequence reset dinamically according to a page start(taking account font size and such formatting options) would you? i'm keeping an eye in the mail tracking system... really can't wait to put my hands in my first display! (that's why i'm a bit lost :P )
I think instead of recreating the highlites (using start and stop postitions offset, into the text, from the beginning), it would be better to use the "print to .pdf file" alternative so that all the text is there as well (from that marked up .imp). See pg 2 picture above to see how good the highlites look (with text) on the ebook reader and in the .pdf file!

Last edited by nrapallo; 06-16-2008 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:02 AM   #9
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
There was another thread about getting a book file (not the annotation file) from a Rocket Pro (he was trying to recover a book not backed up). The Rocket Pro doesn't have an external memory card, and has ONLY a serial interface with the computer.

Any ideas for that situation?
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:32 AM   #10
vinicius0881

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
...would be better to use the "print to .pdf file" alternative so that all the text is there as well (from that marked up .imp). See pg 2 picture above to see how good the highlites look (with text) on the ebook reader and in the .pdf file!
oh, great! now i understood correctly! this way it's even easier for a program to scan this .pdf file and save the highlites to a new (text ?)file, right?
Old 06-17-2008, 09:43 AM   #11
nrapallo

Quote:
oh, great! now i understood correctly! this way it's even easier for a program to scan this .pdf file and save the highlites to a new (text ?)file, right?
The highlites are already in the .pdf file (see page 2) so you don't need to save them again to a text file.

If you do want a text file with some markings where the start and stop highlites would be, then that would require extra coding to extract and merge them into the text file.

How would you want the highlites to appear (be marked) in the text file, if this is what you are asking for above?
Old 06-17-2008, 10:10 AM   #12
vinicius0881

lol sorry perhaps i didn't express myself correctly from what i saw on the .pdf file pg 2, the highlites are there, together with "non-highlit" text... so i was wondering if it would be easier to scan the whole document and extract just the highlites to somewhere else, without surrounding unimportant text. anyway i think i'll understand better the process when my display arrives!
Old 06-17-2008, 10:29 AM   #13
nrapallo

Quote:
lol sorry perhaps i didn't express myself correctly from what i saw on the .pdf file pg 2, the highlites are there, together with "non-highlit" text... so i was wondering if it would be easier to scan the whole document and extract just the highlites to somewhere else, without surrounding unimportant text. anyway i think i'll understand better the process when my display arrives!
Oh, I understand, you want to cut and paste just the highlites.

Just use Adobe Acrobat Pro v7 on the .pdf to select the highlites area and 'Save Image As...' like this .bmp or 'Copy Image to Clipboard' and paste into Word like the files in the below .zip.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image001.gif
Views:	1235
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	13614  
Attached Images
File Type: bmp OrwellAnimalFarm markups test.bmp (89.8 KB, 1242 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip OrwellAnimalFarm markups test-Word-highlites.zip (41.5 KB, 1155 views)

Last edited by nrapallo; 06-17-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:03 AM   #14
vinicius0881

yes! that's it, cut and paste!

MY ETI-2 ARRIVED!!
i, for one, welcome my new eti-2 overlord!!

Last edited by vinicius0881; 06-17-2008 at 02:07 PM. Reason: to announce my e-book displayer has just arrived
Old 06-17-2008, 11:23 PM   #15
nrapallo

Quote:
yes! that's it, cut and paste!

MY ETI-2 ARRIVED!!
i, for one, welcome my new eti-2 overlord!!
Congratulations!

Now that you finally have your hands on it, how does it feel to own one?

To learn more about your unit and the .imp format, try reading our mobileread wiki entires for IMP, EBookwise-1150 and eBook_Publisher for starters.

If some things still make no sense, ask in the Fictionwise forum for help!