Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-13-2014, 05:14 AM   #61
takikura
Connoisseur
takikura has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.takikura has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.takikura has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.takikura has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.takikura has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle sony reader boox 60
Hi

Have you installed Moon+Reader on your T61 or its relatives? I did and I cannot read texts in its menu. If I touch the menu, its text appears shortly and disappear again.
This problem may have the same cause of the problem related to Goldendict I decribed above. I have Android Kobo Glo based on Android version 2.3.4 but do not have these problems with this device. I had a similar Munu problem when I installed Alreader on my T61. Some of the texts on its menu were not readable. But setting its "E-ink adaptation" ON solved this problem. I cannot find similar setting on Moon+reader. This experience suggests that the cause of the problem with Goldendict may be related to text color used for displaying the results of words when it was called from other applications like Alreader, Moon reader etc. If the dictionary is used on its own, this problem of having the blank display screen does not exist and the results are shown like on the Kobo Glo. If I touch the blank display screen, the buttons for making fonts larger or smaller appears. This suggests that the texts are on the screen but they are invisible.
So far I did the followings;
1. Change the firmware to that of Icarus Illumina.
2. Factory reset
3. Re-installation of Goldendict
None of these affected the result.
I have two Android tablets and one Android phone. On these devices I do not have the same problem and the colour of the text in the result display is the same black whether Goldendict is used on its own or called from other applications.
I need to check whether these Menu and Goldendict problems are happening only on my T61. I would appreciate it very much, if you could let me know a good news that you are having the same problem.

Have a nice weekend
Takikura
takikura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:48 AM   #62
rdjack21
Groupie
rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elocity A7, Nook STR, Galaxy Nexus
Well I went ahead and did it. I ordered a T62 today! Now I just have the long wait for it to get here
rdjack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2014, 07:27 PM   #63
unattached
unattached doesn't litterunattached doesn't litter

Device: Icarus Illumina
Hello!

It has been reported, that Google Play Books does not work.

Could someone try different versions? (Maybe someone, who has the Play Store installed?)

Thanks!
unattached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:46 PM   #64
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by unattached View Post
Hello!

It has been reported, that Google Play Books does not work.

Could someone try different versions? (Maybe someone, who has the Play Store installed?)

Thanks!
I do not know what they tried specifically but if they just tried the app it wouldn't work without other stuff like Google play services, play store and other dependencies, for google play books to work properly you probably need most of the GAPPS like cyanogenmod (if it works at all).
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:45 PM   #65
nightboy
Connoisseur
nightboy writes the songs that make the whole world sing.nightboy writes the songs that make the whole world sing.nightboy writes the songs that make the whole world sing.nightboy writes the songs that make the whole world sing.nightboy writes the songs that make the whole world sing.nightboy writes the songs that make the whole world sing.nightboy writes the songs that make the whole world sing.nightboy writes the songs that make the whole world sing.nightboy writes the songs that make the whole world sing.nightboy writes the songs that make the whole world sing.nightboy writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: NST, Boyue T62
Battery Drain Problems

After 2 weeks of tests, I found these problems in T62’s battery life.:
Quote:
1#battery life’s info is not accurate and has some errors (I think (+3%) to (-3%) is added to the battery life).

2# Wi-Fi drains the battery. I transferred 350mb of files via Wifi from my pc to t62 (kept wifi ON for 40min) and lost 15% of T62’s battery life before doing the battery test.

3# battery drains much faster after two days. Many reviews stated this problem.
Battery test: (the device was in sleep mode 98% of the time)

9/12 charged my device 100% in the morning + 30min of reading

9/13 100%. No changes !!! Sleeping mode

9/14 (97% to 87% sleeping mode) problem #3 started. Rebooted my device.

9/15 (87% to 70%) problem #2. I downloaded and tested few apps.

9/16 (70% to 65% sleeping mode).

9/17 (65% to 50% sleeping mode). Problem #3 again. Rebooted my device

9/18 (50% to 39% sleeping mode). Rebooted my device.

9/19 (39% to 30% sleeping mode).

Average discharge rate:
1% each 3-4h (sleep mode)

Problem 1&3 (1% in 2min)

I think my device's battery will reach 0% after 2.5 days (the total: 10 days in sleep mode)

Although, I found a way to reduce battery drain (problem #3) by using auto reboot app (each 24h), I could not find a way to solve other battery drain problems. From my point of view, the cause of these problems is the software (android build & kernel build) because many people reported a bigger problem in battery life before the latest update.

BOYUE & Icarus's OS developers have to fix these problems .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	1632
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	128587   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	1625
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	128588   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.png
Views:	1679
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	128589   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.png
Views:	1648
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	128590   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.png
Views:	1601
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	128591   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.png
Views:	1634
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	128592   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.png
Views:	1609
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	128593  
nightboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2014, 11:35 AM   #66
oligneisti
oligneisti began at the beginning.

Device: Boyue T62D
I got the T61 and this thread and others here have been most helpful. One thing I haven't been able to do is use the page turn buttons on cbz comic files. Even though Moon+ Reader uses them while I'm reading ebooks they don't work in comics. Anybody found a comic reader that manages to use the buttons?
oligneisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:12 AM   #67
cmavr8
Enthusiast
cmavr8 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hey all T61 and T62 owners!
I'm considering returning my Onyx Boox T68 and getting a E653 from EU or T62 from Ebay (can't find T61).

I'm guess touch screen accuracy is good on those devices, right? (It's the reason I want to return the T68).

Also, I've seen the battery problems:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmcleod View Post
Yes, battery I think fails...
I've had it on suspend mode with all apps disabled.. after 3 days and 12 hours has fallen to a 37%!!!

I'll read a book after finishing the one I'm reading on my Sony T2 and will post the results but....

Edit. 4 days on suspend mode, not used, battery 0%
But how bad is the situation if one turns wifi OFF?
I only use wifi for loading books etc, so I can keep it off most of the time. Is everybody's battery life like nightboy described 2 posts before me?

Thanks!
Chris
cmavr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:17 AM   #68
cmavr8
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightboy View Post
After 2 weeks of tests, I found these problems in T62’s battery life.:
Hi, can you try BetterBatteryStats and give us screenshots of "other", "kernel wakelock" and "partial wakelock" screens?

This should help determine the factor that's causing this
Old 09-27-2014, 09:40 AM   #69
iakovl
Connoisseur
iakovl began at the beginning.

Device: none
don't know... with auto off working i see no problem, boot is fast so why bother not letting it turn off?
iakovl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:06 AM   #70
cmavr8
Enthusiast

Well, I prefer a 1-second delay than a (what is it?) 20-second delay when I want to start reading...

One of the beauties of ereaders is that the screen can stay ON without battery drain...
Old 09-30-2014, 08:12 AM   #71
iakovl
Connoisseur
iakovl began at the beginning.

any good comic/manga reader that don't have problem with Eink?
iakovl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:40 AM   #72
Des Kaje
Des Kaje began at the beginning.

Hi people,

I'm new around here so if my question is not appropriate in this thread, please let me know and I'll delete or move it.

Last few days I have been seriously considering buying an Icarus Illumina E653. I tested it thoroughly in a store nearby and was very pleased with all the functions: great epub support, pdf reflow seems to work well (with annotations and all), backlight is fine (despite the slight bleeding on the lower part of the screen), and last but not least, a clear way of organizing your files in folders - something I haven't seen on other devices yet.

However, I have one main concern, which has also been discussed in the posts above: the Illumina's battery life. I noticed that Android (with its consequent apps) drains the battery way faster than ereaders without such an operating system. I even read that on standby mode, you may have to recharge it every 3 to 4 days, which I think is hardly acceptable.

I was wondering if someone on these forums has considerable experience with this. For me, an indecent battery life may be a dealbreaker - which is a shame since the variety of functions seems to be satisfying all my other needs. My plan is to use as few apps as possible and have wifi off practically always. How long would the Illumina hold out this way, always leaving it on standby mode and not turning it off completely?

I know that turning off the device saves battery life significantly, though I'm afraid I will be annoyed by the constant booting time. Is it true that booting the Illumina takes about 30 seconds - and could this be more depending on the amount of books you put on it?

I hope someone can help me with this to take this last piece of doubt away. I have no real alternative - the Kobo Aura seems okay, though I do not like the way it organizes your files and the fact that it doesn't support pdf reflow (if I understand correctly).

Thanks a bunch!
Des Kaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:28 AM   #73
cmavr8
Enthusiast

Hey Des Kaje, check the Onyx T68... Some have problems with screen accuracy, but I think it's a good alternative. I'm testing it currently
Old 10-20-2014, 11:39 AM   #74
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des Kaje View Post
Hi people,

I'm new around here so if my question is not appropriate in this thread, please let me know and I'll delete or move it.

Last few days I have been seriously considering buying an Icarus Illumina E653. I tested it thoroughly in a store nearby and was very pleased with all the functions: great epub support, pdf reflow seems to work well (with annotations and all), backlight is fine (despite the slight bleeding on the lower part of the screen), and last but not least, a clear way of organizing your files in folders - something I haven't seen on other devices yet.

However, I have one main concern, which has also been discussed in the posts above: the Illumina's battery life. I noticed that Android (with its consequent apps) drains the battery way faster than ereaders without such an operating system. I even read that on standby mode, you may have to recharge it every 3 to 4 days, which I think is hardly acceptable.

I was wondering if someone on these forums has considerable experience with this. For me, an indecent battery life may be a dealbreaker - which is a shame since the variety of functions seems to be satisfying all my other needs. My plan is to use as few apps as possible and have wifi off practically always. How long would the Illumina hold out this way, always leaving it on standby mode and not turning it off completely?

I know that turning off the device saves battery life significantly, though I'm afraid I will be annoyed by the constant booting time. Is it true that booting the Illumina takes about 30 seconds - and could this be more depending on the amount of books you put on it?

I hope someone can help me with this to take this last piece of doubt away. I have no real alternative - the Kobo Aura seems okay, though I do not like the way it organizes your files and the fact that it doesn't support pdf reflow (if I understand correctly).

Thanks a bunch!
I have a T62 and it's great so far. The T62 is almost the same as the E653 but more storage and bigger battery. It also has a problem of the battery going too quickly but it's much better than the T68 which I returned because of multiple defects and a lot of people have had problems with it. The T68 also uses a lot of battery.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 02:25 PM   #75
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I have a T62 and it's great so far. The T62 is almost the same as the E653 but more storage and bigger battery. It also has a problem of the battery going too quickly but it's much better than the T68 which I returned because of multiple defects and a lot of people have had problems with it. The T68 also uses a lot of battery.
Have you tried installing Greenify? I installed it recently on my Nexus 7 and the battery lasts MUCH longer now. Apparently all those apps that insist on running in the background were significantly draining the battery.

I'm interested in a T62 as backup for my Sony T1, but I'd prefer something I don't have to recharge every day or two.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, eink, ereader, icarus