Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-29-2008, 01:43 PM   #31
Yarrow
Enthusiast
Yarrow began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500& PRS505; iPad; and Kindle
Beowolf

I've just installed the latest update and working fine now. cheers.
Yarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:40 PM   #32
beowulf573
Addict
beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-T1
I've put up an experimental version that should address the issues with adding the books to calibre after a build. If anyone is feeling lucky, please give it a shot. I've not added it to the update feed, you'll need to install it manually from the following link.

Install Link

I've tested this under Windows and Linux, but don't have access to a Mac. It should work, but you never know.

One big change, your calibre path on the Mac should point to your bundle directory, something like /path/to/calibre.app. This is for Mac only, under Linux and Windows point to calibre.exe.

If this seems to work, I'll spend some time adding more logging and error checking and do a real release.
beowulf573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2008, 09:40 PM   #33
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
To make your life a little easier, the latest version of calibre on OSX allows the GUI to be launched using /usr/bin/calibre
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:00 PM   #34
beowulf573
Addict
beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Great, I'll update the Darwin script to be the same as the Linux version. Do I just run it with the path to the lrf file as an argument as under linux?

Basically for the Darwin and Linux I used a bourne shell script to launch web2lrf and optionally calibre. For windows I wrote statically linked windows app to do the same. This keeps me from having to worry about threading in the plugin proper.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:33 PM   #35
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah running /usr/bin/calibre /path/to/file.lrf should work on darwin.

If you're using a bash script I assume you're redirecting stdout and stderr to a file for diagnostics?
Advert
Old 05-30-2008, 05:30 AM   #36
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Hello Beowulf,

0.27 didn't work with different options and/or pages. Fell back on 0.26 and worked fine. Returned to 0.27, restarted and nothing. I have just tried 0.28 and works perfect.

Got me disoriented because the console window does not appear any more. Thought it was not working. Then Calibre opened and there it was.

Cool cool cool.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:58 AM   #37
beowulf573
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peto View Post

Got me disoriented because the console window does not appear any more. Thought it was not working. Then Calibre opened and there it was.
Yeah, there's a small windows app embedded in the plugin that will launch the different applications thus hiding the console windows. I don't know off the top of my head why one version would work and not another. Just as long as the most current works. :-)
Old 05-30-2008, 09:05 AM   #38
beowulf573
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Yeah running /usr/bin/calibre /path/to/file.lrf should work on darwin.

If you're using a bash script I assume you're redirecting stdout and stderr to a file for diagnostics?
Not yet, I forgot to include that version in the plugin. I'll release a new version during lunch or after work that includes this plus the new way of launching calibre on Macs. The time consuming part will be getting capturing stdout working under Windows, it's not as easy as on the other platforms. I've done it before, it will just take some time to get the code in place and tested.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:05 PM   #39
dsuden
Connoisseur
dsuden doesn't litterdsuden doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
0.2.8 seems like it works really well. I'm wondering if this URL works for anyone. It's very "plain text," maybe that's the problem?

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext98/pandp12.txt

Dane
dsuden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:22 PM   #40
beowulf573
Addict

Ok, here's a big update. This one requires the latest and greatest version of calibre so update that first.

Included in 0.3.0 are:
  • Improved launching of web2lrf and calibre. This should happen in the background and silently on Windows. It also records the output of the last run to a log file.
  • Mac Users! The calibre path is back to /usr/bin/calibre thanks to Kovidgoyal's most recent update. It's very import to check that your path setting is correct.
  • The install should be restricted to Windows, Linux, and Mac OS now.
  • You can optionally hide the status bar icon if you prefer the toolbar.
  • I added a second toolbar button; one just creates the lrf file, the other prompts your for options.
  • Platform specific defaults. It should set the correct default paths on install, but check the settings if you've put the executables in a non-standard spot.
  • Better checking of output path. It will add the correct path separator now when building a path to the output file.

I'm going to try to find some time this weekend to write up a help page and fix any bugs. I'm going to be tied up for about a week starting Tuesday, so I'd appreciate any bug notices over the weekend.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:27 PM   #41
beowulf573
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuden View Post
0.2.8 seems like it works really well. I'm wondering if this URL works for anyone. It's very "plain text," maybe that's the problem?

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext98/pandp12.txt

Dane
My bad, I'm using the title from the document as the LRF title, however since it's a text file there isn't one. I'll fix it this weekend, in the meantime just manually set the title in the options dialog.

This led me to another bug, the title field is mislabeled in the options dialog, it's labeled 'Bookit Options' in the Meta-Data tab. It works, it's just mislabeled.

I don't have time to fix both of these right now, I'm about to run out the door. But I'll look at it this weekend.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:27 PM   #42
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

On windows you should be able to extract the installation path from the registry.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:17 PM   #43
dsuden
Connoisseur
dsuden doesn't litterdsuden doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
beowolf... here's an error I got while attempting the bookit conversion of your home page:

not well-formed (invalid token): line 1, column 2
Detailed traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "main.py", line 259, in another_instance_wants_to_talk
File "main.py", line 414, in add_filesystem_book
File "main.py", line 439, in _add_books
File "calibre\ebooks\metadata\meta.pyo", line 66, in get_metadata
File "calibre\ebooks\lrf\meta.pyo", line 224, in get_metadata
File "calibre\ebooks\lrf\meta.pyo", line 132, in __get__
File "calibre\ebooks\lrf\meta.pyo", line 328, in restore_pos
File "calibre\ebooks\lrf\meta.pyo", line 365, in fget
File "xml\dom\minidom.pyo", line 1923, in parseString
File "xml\dom\expatbuilder.pyo", line 940, in parseString
File "xml\dom\expatbuilder.pyo", line 223, in parseString
ExpatError: not well-formed (invalid token): line 1, column 2

Hope it helps!
dsuden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:51 AM   #44
beowulf573
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuden View Post
beowolf... here's an error I got while attempting the bookit conversion of your home page:

Hope it helps!
dsuden, was this during the add to calibre portion? Can you post the exact url you used? Also, what platform are you using?

thanks.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:31 AM   #45
beowulf573
Addict

Just reproduced it, I'll work on it today sometime.