Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-14-2013, 02:05 AM   #1
Rafert
Rafert began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Unhappy How to reset a crashed Kobo Glo?

Hi,

My 3 week old Kobo Glo crashed on me yesterday after opening the sleep cover. It showed the page I was on and the reading light turned on, but after that the reader became unresponsive. I've tried using a paperclip in the bottom hole of the Glo to reset the unit but despite hearing and feeling a click there's nothing happening. About one to two hours after the crash the reading light turned off and didn't turn on again.

I also tried plugging the Glo in to my PC, the first time only Windows detected an 'NS Blank Codex' device but it didn't show the contents of the Glo. The only indicator of device activity I have right now is that the LED on the top lights up blue for about ten seconds when I slide the on/off button.

Does anybody know of other ways to reset the Glo? Or should I just swap it at the store for a new one? Thanks!
Rafert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:21 AM   #2
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Are you sure the battery is not empty? The blue LED when you slide the slider indicates it's trying to turn on. If it fails to, the battery could well be empty. Leave it plugged in to a wall charger for an hour or so, or even over night if you can be that patient. Do this before you do the full reset.

Full reset (you'll lose all your sideloaded books and have to reinstall new firmware and sync with Kobo):
- Slide and hold the power button for 20 seconds to be sure the device is off, then let go
- Hold down the light button, and while you're doing this,
- Slide the power button as if turning the device on. Let go of the slider, but keep holding the light button.

Shortly after, the LED light should start flashing (red I think, with blue? I'm not sure), followed by disco light flashing white LED. You can let go of the light button and the device should be restoring.

Good luck!

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 01-14-2013 at 02:40 AM.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2013, 04:35 AM   #3
Rafert

Thanks for your reply Mrs_Often. Yesterday I had the Glo plugged in my HTC wall charger (which I used before to charge the device) for about 9 hours. I tried your instructions after I came back from work but they didn't work, the Glo just keeps on doing the same thing with the blue LED lighting up for 10 seconds on no change on the screen.

Just wondering, should the green LED be lit up when the device is charging? Because it wasn't. I tried doing the full reset procedure with the charger plugged in just in case, but that didn't work either. I've contacted the store and they've sent me a RMA form.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:56 AM   #4
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry to hear about your troubles Rafert. The green LED should indeed be lit when charging. When you charge, do you see a "plug" icon inside the battery icon? When it's fully charged that plug changes into a check mark. But I'm suspecting you don't see either as it really sounds like your Glo is not charging for some reason. Have you tried a different cable? If you have and that gives the same behaviour, it sounds like something is broken hardware-wise. Glad the store sent you an RMA form. I hope your Glo gets fixed soon, or that you get a new one quickly!
Old 01-16-2013, 04:13 AM   #5
Rafert

The screen hasn't changed since it crashed right after booting on sunday, it's still on the page I was reading. The blue LED turning on for 10 seconds is the only sign of life from my Glo.

I haven't tried a different cable on my wall charger, but I used that cable before to charge my Glo and am still using it right now to charge my HTC phone without any problems. I did use a different cable to connect the Glo to my PC and left it in there for at least an hour as well, but that didn't charge the reader either. Off to RMA it is!
Advert
Old 01-16-2013, 04:29 AM   #6
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Good luck. Keep us posted!

Tags
crash, freezes, glo freezing, reset