Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Fifty Shades of Grey - What Did you Think?
I am female, read all/part and loved them. 13 5.51%
I am male, read all/part and loved them. 2 0.85%
I am female, read all/part and didn't care for them. 18 7.63%
I am male, read all/part and didn't care for them. 5 2.12%
I am female - won't be reading them. 114 48.31%
I am male - won't be reading them. 84 35.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #181
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Nah thats exactly what the fixations ARE for
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #182
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
Really? Do they need tethers so they come back down, like a control line plane?
Sometimes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2012, 07:14 AM   #183
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
And now it passes the One Million Mark:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18618648
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:06 AM   #184
KindleChickie
Connoisseur
KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DX, iPad 2, Kindle 3, Nook simple touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
It is no secret that I read romance novels. When I saw that the Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy had hit the NYT Bestseller list, I thought I was finally vindicated! So I downloaded the books and read them over a weekend.

I hated them. I thought they were very poorly writen, and weren't very erotic for erotica. But they were bestsellers - obviously, I didn't know good writting.

But this writer for the Chicago Tribune thought the same thing:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...,4130651.story

So, did you read the books? What did you think?
You are assuming good writing is what sells books. In these books case, it is taboo and word of mouth that is selling.

I read a little of book one and realized they weren't for me.
KindleChickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #185
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
The book obviously had something that appealed to readers. It's not that taboo, many other books have been written on taboo subjects and that hasn't helped them sell. I saw one book "Bound to Serve", it had a woman tied up on the cover. I didn't read it. The book was at the dollar store. If taboo sold, then why was 50 Shades a hit while other books are relegated to the dollar store? Word of mouth is a phenomonon of appealing to readers. Books only spread by word of mouth if people are reading it and enjoying it enough to tell their friends about it. I haven't read 50 Shades, but the author must be doing something right.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #186
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
If doing it so wrong is 'right'... well doesn't it communicate a lot of unpleasant things about the hyping masses?
There are books out there which, still being romantic fairy tales, do put a bigger emphasis on responsible behaviour in a D/S relationship.

But who am I to grok how hypes work?

There's legion of fantasy stuff better than the hairy claydigger too - hardly noticed.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #187
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Why should the book present responsible behavior? It's fantasy. How responsible is "The Story of O"? There's a long history of erotic literature in which thte fantasy probably isn't what someone would actually want to do.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #188
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Bared to You by Sylvia Day is suppose to the next 50 Shades but better. It seems the author is smart and cashing in on the need for this type of story. Penguin bought the story and hiked the price up. I haven't read it yet but there's now a Audible version which is only $10 if you're a member.

Sylvia Day is a more season writer than E.L. James so I suspect that it would be a better book. Only book one is out now. I'm not sure when the sequel comes out.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:27 AM   #189
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
a poke in the eye with a sharp stick would be better. But honestly I am over any angst, I live with teens, I want to read about grown ups.
I still do not get all the go on over the extremely mild bdsm. As if somebody died from an orgasm and a spanked bot bot.
I dread to think how boring some peoples bedrooms are if they find what they do thrilling.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote