Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 05-03-2012, 08:31 PM   #46
workworkwork
workworkwork began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Very happy with my vox. I enjoy reading and being able to check my email at the same time, or have an online game of scrabble. I have had no issues with it since i recieved it mid march and i use it everyday for a bedtime read. great color and clarity.
workworkwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #47
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
No.
Get a Playbook instead.
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2012, 10:55 PM   #48
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laridae View Post
Get a Playbook instead.
The Playbook is probably an excellent device, but the market has definitely choosen Android and iOS devices. So anyone who buys a Playbook is bound to find themselves with a marginally supported tablet in the present and an unsupported tablet a year from now.

I'm sorry, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles. I've been down that road before. It can be fun while it lasts, but it is usually the most fun for people who like to play with technology rather than just use it.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #49
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
the market has definitely choosen Android and iOS devices.
I have both and, trust me, the PlayBook is far superior in every way. It was designed to sell for twice the price so it's terrific value for the money. The VOX is buggy and unbearably sloooow!

As far as apps go - my needs are simple - I use it mainly as an eReader and to check gMail; I don't play games. As long as the apps I need are available the O/S is really immaterial (as long as it's not Apple, but that's a different rant!)

I'm a big Android fan as well, but, practically speaking, the technology is moving so fast these devices are all disposable anyway - they are like Bic lighters and ballpoint pens - they have no future beyond what they can do for you right now.

I say buy the best device at the best price that meets your needs today and let the future take care of itself.

Last edited by Laridae; 05-19-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:24 PM   #50
Flymo
Flymo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo wifi, Palm E2
@Laridae - do agree with you about the Vox being slow.

I went to WH Smiths to look at the Kobo offerings after trying a few others elsewhere, and the Vox was a real embarrassment for the salesman, as was the Touch to a lesser degree.

Not saying that someone more patient than I could not get on with them, but they were both less responsive than my ancient Palm with the annoyingly worn-out digitiser; and the Vox just hung there spinning things much of the time.

Our ancient touchscreen GoBook with a P3-700 at 350 MHz is way faster running Bodhi Linux.

So I bought a Kobo Wifi, since it was simple, but it worked. Decided on the e-Ink screen after taking the Vox outside for a look. Sunlight's a bore on the Palm too.
Flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2012, 07:23 PM   #51
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@Flymo; just wondering if you could tell what firmware level the display version of the KT had at WH Smiths?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:42 AM   #52
d.culloch
Derek
d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.

Device: touch
I have found that the kobo touch readers on display in shops tend to be version 1.14.
Not sure what the most common version of firm ware is for a shop display vox.
d.culloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:10 AM   #53
workworkwork

2.2.3.....I think
Old 06-08-2012, 02:15 AM   #54
workworkwork

2.2.3..i think
Old 06-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #55
Muppetone
Muppetone began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO VOX colour ereader
Hi, I'm new on here so hello!!

I'm thinking of buying a KOBO Vox colour ereader & apart from being able to read loads more books on holiday, it can also access Facebook, emails & the internet. So as well as being an avid bookworm I like playing some of the games on FB like Pet Society I wondered if anyone knew if this was possible with the Vox?
Muppetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:51 AM   #56
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I can't speak to the particulars of the Facebook games but here are a few things to keep in mind:

The Vox is definitely intended to be an ereader. As such, the processor isn't going to live up to everyone's standards for web browsing, watching video, or apps.

You may need to try out several web browsers to find one that works for you. I've found that the supplied browser works for some sites, while opera works for other sites.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #57
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
I can't speak to the particulars of the Facebook games but here are a few things to keep in mind:

The Vox is definitely intended to be an ereader. As such, the processor isn't going to live up to everyone's standards for web browsing, watching video, or apps.

You may need to try out several web browsers to find one that works for you. I've found that the supplied browser works for some sites, while opera works for other sites.
I like Skyfire best for sites I want to view in "full-site" mode, for sites that work with pop-ups and for web site videos (with the Skyfire video license). For the rest I use Dolphin HD. If your games don't work with one browser, try another...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #58
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
Post June 14th update....

....it is NOW!

For $169.00 (on sale)...it sure is with this update in play.
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:01 PM   #59
tantomile
tantomile
tantomile began at the beginning.

Device: asus 7
totally disappointed with the Vox. ok as a reader, but not much else. Battery life leaves a lot to be desired. There are much better choices out there for the money (like the Google Nexus 7)

Last edited by tantomile; 09-08-2012 at 03:03 PM.
tantomile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:45 PM   #60
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
The Vox was always worth it, unless what you really wanted was a gee-whiz tablet, not what is primarily a reader. And with the update, the battery life is closer to what is advertised. Even the Google Nexus 7 doesn't have expandable storage. Now that Kobo has come out with their new readers, the Vox might drop in price (or disappear).
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote