Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 10-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #1
Em_Scape
Em_Scape began at the beginning.

Device: PocketEdge
PE Odd behavior...(Help. Please?)

I have been having problems with my Edge recently. Got it in April, installed Ermine, has been working just fine.
In the last couple of days I have experienced the following:
-While reading on e-ink side, tablet side screen locked, page won't turn. Needed to power off and on again in order to get it started.
-Not able to wake from hibernation. Press menu button and screen flicks on then quickly back off. Again had to power off and back on.
-Not able to slide bar to "on" on the tablet screen. Once I did get it on, the apps were lighting up in a random pattern as though some unseen hand was swiping across it. Needless to say, I was not touching it myself.
-Yesterday when I closed the case (did not select hibernate or power down, but usually it automatically goes into hibernate after about a minute when I do that) it had 93% battery remaining. Today the light is blinking red, won't turn on, tablet side black, e-ink side pure white. Held power slide down for more than 30 seconds and nothing happened. Tried reset button and that turned it off, but it won't turn back on.
All of this makes me very, very sad.
Em_Scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:01 PM   #2
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em_Scape View Post
-Yesterday when I closed the case (did not select hibernate or power down, but usually it automatically goes into hibernate after about a minute when I do that) it had 93% battery remaining. Today the light is blinking red, won't turn on, tablet side black, e-ink side pure white. Held power slide down for more than 30 seconds and nothing happened. Tried reset button and that turned it off, but it won't turn back on.
I observed such behavior when battery was almost completely discharged – 7 – 8 % remained. Charging solved the problem. If it doesn’t take a charge I’d assume the battery is the culprit.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
bunodosoma
Connoisseur
bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PE,Novel,Nook Color
Just a quick thought - if it won't take a charge double check the mini USB male connector on the cable. I've had several of these get bent slightly and make intermittent or no connection. If bent I've had no problem realigning(gently) -I'm speaking of the outside metal casing on the end of the mini usb nothing internal. I use mini needlenose pliers or hemostats. If it's the battery I guess we'll all face that eventually. Have you tried starting up with the charger plugged in?
bunodosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunodosoma View Post
Just a quick thought - if it won't take a charge double check the mini USB male connector on the cable. I've had several of these get bent slightly and make intermittent or no connection. If bent I've had no problem realigning(gently) -I'm speaking of the outside metal casing on the end of the mini usb nothing internal. I use mini needlenose pliers or hemostats. If it's the battery I guess we'll all face that eventually. Have you tried starting up with the charger plugged in?
Since you can't charge the unit via the USB cable that is not relevant to the discussion.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:05 PM   #5
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em_Scape View Post
I have been having problems with my Edge recently. Got it in April, installed Ermine, has been working just fine.
In the last couple of days I have experienced the following:
-While reading on e-ink side, tablet side screen locked, page won't turn. Needed to power off and on again in order to get it started.
-Not able to wake from hibernation. Press menu button and screen flicks on then quickly back off. Again had to power off and back on.
-Not able to slide bar to "on" on the tablet screen. Once I did get it on, the apps were lighting up in a random pattern as though some unseen hand was swiping across it. Needless to say, I was not touching it myself.
All of this makes me very, very sad.
First thing, make sure the unit is fully charged. If there appears to be a problem with the charger check you have 12v at the plug that plugs into the PE (centre 'hole' is + and the outer barrel is - ). If that is correct then make sure you plug it into the power socket and not the headphone socket then leave it on charge for several hours. Then try starting the PE with it still connected to the charger.

Some people have reported that it needed a 24 hour charge for some reason to clear faults similar to those you are reporting.
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 02:44 PM   #6
bunodosoma
Connoisseur
bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

@ ivanjt -My bad - wrong tablet. Hopefully it just needs full charge. If a replacement battery is needed who sells them and what's the part number?
Old 10-14-2011, 04:12 PM   #7
ivanjt
Guru

Quote:
@ ivanjt -My bad - wrong tablet. Hopefully it just needs full charge. If a replacement battery is needed who sells them and what's the part number?
Sorry if I sounded rather hard - just spent a hour trying to explain to a client why 5v from a USB socket wouldn't charge his equipment that needed 15v and just popped in to see if the boys had more info to help find the switch.

To answer your question, I seem to remember that someone had photos of the battery somewhere on here that showed the part number. As to where to get them, I think it would require a search of the Chinese/Hong Kong component sites and then the problem arises with the minimum order quantities - 500 to 1000 units is the usual.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #8
bunodosoma
Connoisseur

No - irrelevant was not only appropriate but less harsh than what I said to myself.. I did find the thread in the archive you mentioned along with the battery photos. I have not found a replacement battery for the PE but www.ebookreaderdiscounter.com lists one for the edge. I know nothing about these folks but that's the only source I saw other than custom battery pack assemblers with large initial order requirements. I know hobbyists assemble their own packs but that's above my pay grade.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:05 PM   #9
ivanjt
Guru

Quote:
No - irrelevant was not only appropriate but less harsh than what I said to myself.. I did find the thread in the archive you mentioned along with the battery photos. I have not found a replacement battery for the PE but www.ebookreaderdiscounter.com lists one for the edge. I know nothing about these folks but that's the only source I saw other than custom battery pack assemblers with large initial order requirements. I know hobbyists assemble their own packs but that's above my pay grade.
This will always be the problem with non removable batteries - usually getting a replacement entails contacting the manufacturer of the equipment and then they usually want to do the replacement rather than just selling the battery.

If we have time I'll get my parts guy to see if he can find anything useful in small quantities, like two at a time - just don't hold your breath, the last time we wanted an internal battery for equipment from a defunct manufacturer the best we could get was a minimum order of 500. It may be the same with the PE batteries and I'm not setting up an edge parts supply business, we have enough to do already.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:28 PM   #10
bunodosoma
Connoisseur

Yes I hear you. There was a WSOD PE I was considering for spare parts on eBay recently but it was withdrawn (maybe got revived). That is a potential parts source as these things age. I'm hoping Woot will
have one more run and I can pick up a cheap spare. I wonder if any will end up in a BOC?
Old 10-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #11
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Em_Scape, did you have any luck??

I thought Woot was telling people they have no more units to replace the faulty ones, which makes it unlikely they will have another sale, or even give any away in a BOC. I could be wrong . . . .
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:37 PM   #12
Em_Scape
Em_Scape began at the beginning.

Device: PocketEdge
After I charged it again, I haven't had those same problems except the page-freezing and having to turn off and back on again to turn the page.
It just seemed really odd, since I had just charged it the night before and usually it holds a charge 4-5 days on hibernate if I don't use it very much, just during breaks at work.
Em_Scape is offline   Reply With Quote