Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 06-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #1
pyxiwulf
Connoisseur
pyxiwulf began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
How to install .apks?

Total Android n00b, sorry about the silly question, but I poked around and didn't find directions. When I killed my PE last week and had to reflash it, I of course lost my apps since I hadn't backed up. So I poked around the good old interwebs and found myself .apk files that appear to be compatible with 2.2, but I'm nearly clueless what to do with them now. I'd share what I've tried, but I think I'd rather not contaminate the responses and hope someone can just give me a step by step or point me to one?
pyxiwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
CheyenneDonna
Connoisseur
CheyenneDonna has learned how to buy an e-book online

When you download just tap on it or transfer with dropbox - in this case the install begins automatically.
CheyenneDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
If you open up ES File Explore and navigate to the place where you save them all you have to do is tap them and it should install. That, or if your downloading them from the internet once its downloaded drag down the bar at the top of the screen and tap on the download message, it should start installing then.
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:59 PM   #4
pyxiwulf
Connoisseur

Oh crud, I forgot, these are .apks that I downloaded to my pc
Old 06-04-2011, 09:06 PM   #5
CheyenneDonna
Connoisseur
CheyenneDonna has learned how to buy an e-book online

Log on to Amazon and have the link for the Amazon Market emailed to your Gmail account. Install Dropbox, and on your PC if not there already. Put all your apk files in your Dropbox. Or use Awesomedrop http://www.androidzoom.com/android_a...esome+drop+apk
CheyenneDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2011, 09:45 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Try this:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...with-a-tablet/

It's a generalized getting started post, but the part on apps should help.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:14 PM   #7
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

yeah, as others have said you will need to find a way to transfer them to your PE, my personal favorite way is using dropbox, then just tap the app once its in your dropbox and you should be good to go. To install dropbox on your PE use the browser to search for dropbox.apk and then download and install that, you will need an account but they are free and quite handy(I save all my homework/work on their so I always have it when I need it ).
Old 06-05-2011, 12:30 AM   #8
mr_ed
Connoisseur
mr_ed began at the beginning.

Device: been e-reading since Handspring's first PDA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Try this:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...with-a-tablet/

It's a generalized getting started post, but the part on apps should help.
Good article!

-- Ed
mr_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:09 AM   #9
pyxiwulf
Connoisseur

I must have the wrong .apk then or have that install error issue then, because it's not installing. bummer
Old 06-05-2011, 10:19 AM   #10
emusan
lol

do you know what kind of error it gives you when you try to install it?

And if you don't mind my asking, what is it an apk for?
Old 06-05-2011, 11:14 AM   #11
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
I'm not a dropbox user, so I just tended to email myself the apk file, and clicking on it seemed to do the trick.

I also tried to dowload directly on the edge, where possible. Even if I found it on my laptop, I'd send myself the link rather than the file, if I could. In that case, it would show up as a download and clicking on it would work just fine.
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:23 PM   #12
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyxiwulf View Post
I must have the wrong .apk then or have that install error issue then, because it's not installing. bummer
Keep in mind most .apk's are written to run on phones. The PE hardware is quite different. It is reasonable to expect some apk's not to work on the PE.
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:33 AM   #13
pyxiwulf
Connoisseur

the one I'm currently stuck on is Pandora. I haven't even tried to replace any of the others I lost yet. The Pandora app I downloaded from the entourage store worked just fine, but I've tried .apks from a couple sites and I just get "application not installed". That and the FB widget are the two I really wish I still had that were lost.