Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-09-2010, 08:06 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Interesting list of the "Fifty Most Significant SF&F Books

Might inspire some reading...

http://mdbenoit.com/blog/blog/2006/1...cant-sf-books/

First 10:

1. The Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien*
2. The Foundation Trilogy, Isaac Asimov*
3. Dune, Frank Herbert*
4. Stranger in a Strange Land, Robert A. Heinlein*
5. A Wizard of Earthsea, Ursula K. Le Guin
6. Neuromancer, William Gibson*
7. Childhood’s End, Arthur C. Clarke*
8. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, Philip K. Dick*
9. The Mists of Avalon, Marion Zimmer Bradley
10. Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury*

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Interesting list, though I agree with some of the comments on the site. They're missing a lot of other 'significant' books. But On The Beach(?) Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone(?) Significant Science Fiction?
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
hal2814
Connoisseur
hal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 2
Slaughterhouse 5, Ender's Game and Starship Troopers should be Top 10 if we're talking significance. I also scratch my head at the inclusion of Colour of Magic. It's not a particularly well-regarded Discworld book. I get the idea it's supposed to be a representative of Discworld in general rather than a significant standalone novel. It's interesting to look at others' Top X lists but I find this is one I highly disagree with both on ranking and content past the Top 5 or so.
hal2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:54 AM   #4
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm sure there are any number of "alternates" that's why it's interesting to see what others think of the list. And make there own suggestions for alternates.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:23 PM   #5
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
Flowers for Algernon needs to be on there.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2010, 03:38 PM   #6
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by weateallthepies View Post
Flowers for Algernon needs to be on there.
Isn't that a short story rather than a book though?
Old 11-09-2010, 03:44 PM   #7
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Isn't that a short story rather than a book though?
It was originally a short story but was later expanded into a (short) novel by the author.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:54 PM   #8
kennyc

I would say significant in any case.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:19 PM   #9
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I would say significant in any case.
Yep. I think the short story won the Hugo and the novel won the Nebula, or it could be the other way round. Certainly both great stories.

It's a bit of an odd list if the titles are supposed to be significant in the genre. Where is H.G.Wells? Jules Verne? Mary Shelley?

EDIT: Whoops just saw the date range, feel free to throw things at me.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:32 PM   #10
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
No "Martian Chronicles"... no "2001: A Space Odyssey"... no "I, Robot"... some list.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:38 PM   #11
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
I just hate these lists because it is impossible to quantify which books are "most" anything. I mean don't we need to go back to at least to the era of H.G. Wells? What about The Sherlock Homes books which could be considered somewhat of an Detective/Mystery SF of their era. Every era of SF is built in the shoulders of those before them. And it's just not reasonable to say anything other than these books are excellent to read because I liked them a lot. I don't see any way to say which is "the best".

I know, I'm no fun...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:53 PM   #12
kennyc

Yeah, but who cares about anything before the year I was born.

Steve, could be they considered Martian Chronicles as stories ...maybe same with I Robot...2001 was a novelization based on a short story - The Sentential ..

Last edited by kennyc; 11-10-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:21 AM   #13
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Do a google search on best sci-fi and best fantasy, and you'll get several entirely differnt lists, many or most which correct some of the deficiencies noted in this thread.

I just read Mists of Avalon, and I wouldn't put it in the top 100. I kept saying to myself over and over while reading it, Yea I get it you hate Christianity...

My favorite lists:

http://thisrecording.com/today/2010/...tion-or-f.html

http://home.austarnet.com.au/petersy...ifi/index.html

Last edited by drofgnal; 11-10-2010 at 09:24 AM.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:48 AM   #14
kennyc

Thanks for those links Drofgnal...
Old 11-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #15
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
I just hate these lists because it is impossible to quantify which books are "most" anything. I mean don't we need to go back to at least to the era of H.G. Wells? What about The Sherlock Homes books which could be considered somewhat of an Detective/Mystery SF of their era. Every era of SF is built in the shoulders of those before them. And it's just not reasonable to say anything other than these books are excellent to read because I liked them a lot. I don't see any way to say which is "the best".

I know, I'm no fun...
Well in defense of the list, I would point out that it specifies the years 1953-2002. That being said though, that means that Foundation qualifies on a technicality since with the exception of the very first story in the Trilogy, the stories were for the most part published earlier than 1953.

I would say I am annoyed that in some cases, they count a "series" as a book, and at others, they only list a single book in the series.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote