Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-13-2009, 05:09 AM   #16
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger the rabbit View Post
Yes I thought so. The point I was trying to make is that in most of Europe no id means no use of credit or debit cards. & reduced fraud.

My wife used to have a debit card that had her photograph fixed into it. This didn't stop shops checking with the bank that is was actually her card ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:27 AM   #17
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I don't mind at all.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:19 AM   #18
cklammer
Zealot
cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Palm Centro, Acer Aspire One
In Germany as per the law you have to carry your id card on you at all times. You have to get one when you are 16 years old.

I am currently living in the United Arab Emirates and the UAE government is currently enrolling everybody in their compulsory ID card program (a process that has been going on for years and is planned to continue for more years). The UAE national ID card will have your fingerprints and retina prints encoded on a chip. It is planned that it will eventually replace ATM cards, driving licenses and health insurance (to name the most common). See the Emirates ID website as well as gulfnews.com, thenational.ae and khaleejtimes.com for further details for anyone who is interested.

I am going with my family tomorrow to enroll as our appointment date is set for tomorrow after a six months' wait.

cklammer
cklammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:45 AM   #19
Peverel
Still Easily Confused
Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Personally I would say I do not want an ID card system in the UK, primarily due to the ID database that is being associated with it and the UK Governments total inability to keep this data safe and not loose it. I mean in the last 18 months they have lost so much data, including the details of every person in the UK who has children between the ages of 1 and 18!!!!!!!
Peverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:09 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger the rabbit View Post
You can't use a credit card here (or in most of Europe) without ID / passport The UK is very lax on this as you have photo id
The UK does have a de facto "identity card" already - the credit card-sized photo driving licence, which the overwhelming majority of people have. I always use mine where ID is required - eg when withdrawing a large sum of money from the bank.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:19 AM   #21
DigiDirk
Connoisseur
DigiDirk doesn't litterDigiDirk doesn't litter

Device: iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by cklammer View Post
In Germany as per the law you have to carry your id card on you at all times. You have to get one when you are 16 years old.
That's a common misunderstanding.

You have to have one. You have to present it, when there's reason to.

But you do not have to carry it arround at all times.

http://www.rechtslexikon-online.de/Ausweispflicht.html

Dirk

Last edited by DigiDirk; 05-18-2009 at 05:20 AM. Reason: Added link.
DigiDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:30 AM   #22
cklammer
Zealot
cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Palm Centro, Acer Aspire One
driving license as id

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The UK does have a de facto "identity card" already - the credit card-sized photo driving licence, which the overwhelming majority of people have. I always use mine where ID is required - eg when withdrawing a large sum of money from the bank.
This reminds me of my USA vacation last summer: Everytime I made a large credit card purchase the sales staff requested to see "picture id". So I always gave them my international driving license which was issued here in the UAE. Each and every time it was accepted without the slightest hesitation - even though it was basically an A6-size grey cardboard booklet with my picture stapled (!!!) inside and filled out and stamped by hand (the stamp was arabic and english). How many US sales staff have ever seen an interntional driving license I am asking you ? (Seriously: everybody knows about international driving licenses in the US?)

Not once I was asked to show a (what I classify a real) identity document like my passport. I perceived that as really ridiculous. You could fake such a cardboard crap document like that IDL in almost no time.

In contrast, my issuing bank here in the UAE called for each and every of those large transactions within twenty minutes to confirm them with me. Whow.

cklammer

Disclaimer: If you find this post inflammatory: it is so because I tend to be an inflammatory person. Nothing personal.
cklammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:48 AM   #23
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiDirk View Post
That's a common misunderstanding.

You have to have one. You have to present it, when there's reason to.

But you do not have to carry it arround at all times.

http://www.rechtslexikon-online.de/Ausweispflicht.html

Dirk
Yep, the same here. In effect, you should carry it around at all times, because you'll never know if you happen to come across a situation where there is reason to show it

I usually have my passport with me (you never know when you'll decide to leave everything and just split!) but in summer, I usually only bring my driver's licence as that is much smaller (I don't have a credit card sized yet, even though they are available here for the last 4 years).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:28 AM   #24
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
We've had an ID card for donkey years, I think they were introduced around 1754 when the Queen joined the girl guides
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:42 AM   #25
Anggun
Enthusiast
Anggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
- Do you have to carry an identity document in your country
No

- If so is it your country of birth.
Yes

While it isn't compulsory to bring my Identity Card with me, I do. You need it for official reasons, banks and it is also used as a library card here. And I'm used to carrying it around.

You never know when you needed it.. e.g. I accidentally got on a wrong bus once which went straight to the border and I had to exit at the immigration checkpoint... I had to tell the officer that I board the wrong bus (apparently, I wasn't the only one that day) and show proof that I did not enter this country illegally.
Anggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:00 AM   #26
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
I dont see the big problem with ID cards ... Whether my data is available via the driving license, the social security number of my passport-number - it is available. (I feel different about saving additional information like e.g. fingerprints with the ID).
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:56 AM   #27
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I've still got, only, my pink licence.....
Old 05-18-2009, 09:59 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
I've still got, only, my pink licence.....
The next time you get some points on your licence they'll force you to get a photo licence. That's how I got mine .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:00 AM   #29
GeoffC

Quote:
The next time you get some points on your licence they'll force you to get a photo licence. That's how I got mine .

Points ?

Is that like Karma ?
Old 05-18-2009, 10:07 AM   #30
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Points ?

Is that like Karma ?
Similar, only not for good posts but fast driving. Kind of a congratulation bonus
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote