Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #571
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by iam32 View Post
I installed the links install .bin
Did you update your kindle (not restart) after installing the linkss bin file?

Quote:
I put a greyscale png in the right directory,
Exactly what folder did you put them into?

Quote:
I put a greyscale png in the right directory, restarted
Did you restart via the menu>settings route and did you remove the usb cable before doing the restart?

Seriously, you need to give more specific information if you want help.... welcome to the forum!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #572
iam32
iam32 began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
Did you update your kindle (not restart) after installing the linkss bin file?
Yep.

Quote:
Exactly what folder did you put them into?
linkss/screensavers

Quote:
Did you restart via the menu>settings route and did you remove the usb cable before doing the restart?
Yes and yes.

Quote:
Seriously, you need to give more specific information if you want help.... welcome to the forum!
I follow the instructions word for word so I'm not quite sure how much more specific I can be.

I install the links bin file using the update setting it restarted while unplugged. Came up with 'loading screensavers' while the PW was restarting.

I put the images in the screensavers folder and restarted unplugged and nothing had changed.

Last edited by iam32; 05-03-2013 at 07:30 PM.
iam32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #573
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It sounds as if you did everything correctly.... My understanding is that the PW can be a little finicky about the size, etc of the png files. You might try following the directions for using the currently reading book cover as a screensaver (add the python and then place the empty 'cover' file in the linkss directory) to see if it will generate a screensaver. If it does, then there may be something about your personal screensaver files that it doesn't like.
You should at least have gotten NiLuJe's generic screensaver after you did the hack. If not, maybe recheck that you used the correct bin file (though I think it would have failed if you hadn't).

Your PW isn't a special offers is it? If so, this hack won't work until you remove the SO.

Last edited by GoSharks; 05-03-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:51 AM   #574
arthurdapaz
arthurdapaz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.arthurdapaz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.arthurdapaz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.arthurdapaz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.arthurdapaz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.arthurdapaz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.arthurdapaz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.arthurdapaz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.arthurdapaz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.arthurdapaz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.arthurdapaz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Just to be clear, when you 'reboot' you are doing a restart through the menu>settings and you do NOT have the power cable attached...correct?
Yes! I read all the instructions and all stuff available on this forum! Rsrsrs... I think I need to re-jailbreak... (But I'm finishing a book reading... maybe tomorrow I reset to factory settings, re-jailbreak and re-install linkss)...
arthurdapaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:10 AM   #575
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
I follow the instructions word for word so I'm not quite sure how much more specific I can be.

I install the links bin file using the update setting it restarted while unplugged. Came up with 'loading screensavers' while the PW was restarting.

I put the images in the screensavers folder and restarted unplugged and nothing had changed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurdapaz View Post
Yes! I read all the instructions and all stuff available on this forum! Rsrsrs... I think I need to re-jailbreak... (But I'm finishing a book reading... maybe tomorrow I reset to factory settings, re-jailbreak and re-install linkss)...
I'm pretty sure it's the images. Delete all the images you've put in the 'screensavers' folder and try the one I've attached. Don't forget to do a restart!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_mkhljcRIyX1s25knao1_1280.png
Views:	1416
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	105331  
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:01 AM   #576
serakfalcon
serakfalcon began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Hey I had the same problem with the kindle touch, 600x800 .png files i had downloaded from the internet wouldn't work (some of them worked on my old 'standard' kindle, but its broken).
After a bit of fighting around, I discovered that Photoshop and other photo/image editing software couldn't open the pictures for some reason. Finally, I found pixelformer was able to open them, and when I re-saved them as a .png with pixelformer it worked fine. Must be some kind of wonky formatting issue, anyways, just wanted to report that there are some issues with the .png screensavers out there, but at least re-saving them using pixelformer worked for me
serakfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #577
iam32

I'm still having no luck.

I removed the links folder, ran the unistall, updated, put the install bin on it, updated, put the image from the post above in screensavers restarted and still nothing.

I see no ads on my kindle so I don't think it's a special offer one.

I just don't understand why it won't work =(
Old 05-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #578
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
I'm still having no luck.

I removed the links folder, ran the unistall, updated, put the install bin on it, updated, put the image from the post above in screensavers restarted and still nothing.

I see no ads on my kindle so I don't think it's a special offer one.

I just don't understand why it won't work =(
What 'default' screensaver are you seeing?
Old 05-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #579
iam32

Quote:
What 'default' screensaver are you seeing?
a bendy ribbon with a quote from haruki murakami on it.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #580
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Sounds like you've been Waterstoned.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:54 PM   #581
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Thanks ixtab...I knew the waterstone screensaver was a 'ribbon', but had never actually seen it before.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:31 PM   #582
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Thanks ixtab...I knew the waterstone screensaver was a 'ribbon', but had never actually seen it before.
I've also never seen it before, but I dimly remember someone else speaking about Murakami in the Waterstones context. And in any case, it's none of the factory-default sleep screens - so it must be a custom one, whether by Waterstones or anyone else
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:01 AM   #583
iam32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Thank you so much!

Bloody Waterstones >.<

Thank you to you and GoSharks for being so helpful
Old 05-07-2013, 05:35 AM   #584
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurdapaz View Post
1. There is no ads on my Kindle...
2. I'm putting the .pngs at: /linkss/screensavers/
3. On reboot it just mention checking screensavers if I add the "random" or "shuffle" file...
4. Why the hell I need to rename the png? And what is the "standard" way to name those files?

PS: After adding random or shuffle file, the pngs are automatic renamed...
PS2: When I reboot with the "random" file, it shows a small line on the boot: "S randomizing screensavers..."
1. Good
2. Correct folder.
3. random or shuffle fix the name issue as you've noticed
4. You have to have them named correctly because otherwise the hack doesn't work.
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #585
golden81
golden81 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Screensaver

Hi totally new to this and kindle, I jailbroke my kindle paperwhite but I can not find a screensaver file to download files into anywhere..
golden81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch