Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 01-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
Marcs1102
Marcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMarcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMarcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMarcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMarcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMarcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMarcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMarcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMarcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMarcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMarcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: none
[How To] Adding Links to big network files

if you create a shortcut to a big file on another machine, you can Drag/Drop it onto your calibre library (Book is added but file is not copied, a LNK format is added with Author/Series/Title (or whatever your regexp for add books is)

why putz with it? i have libraries of zipped audio books (extension zab) on my network, but don't want to add those HUGE files to calibre, so this way it adds a line into calibre, that looks the same on the screen as other formats (.epub .mobi etc becomes a .lnk)

just a note (handy for me, or maybe an idea for others) i use (The Free) VLC Media player and have extension .ZAB set to play with vlc.. when i click on the calibre entry the audiobook is played, or i can click on it without calibre and it plays..

note two, you MUST use Drag/Drop to add the shortcut/LNK's to calibre (if you try and use 'add books' the whole big file is copied)

note three, not sure what the limit is, but i have tried it with adding 286 shortcuts/links at a time

note four, how to quickly create a shortcut/link... in FILE explorer (not IE) - right click on the file and select create shortcut, rename if needed, and then Drag/Drop to your Calibre library.... Eazy Peazy
Marcs1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:44 AM   #2
bigpallooka
Connoisseur
bigpallooka began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo/Tablet PC/Desktop/Laptop
Dude. If this works 'as advertised' you may be my new hero (weeps silently into is hands in awe). It solves ALL the issues I had with other methods of adding audiobooks.

Now that my awe has dimmed I want to ask how big a disaster it would be if you were forced to move the files. Would you need to just delete all the .lnk in calibre (a simple process) and drag & drop again?

Last edited by bigpallooka; 02-03-2013 at 01:48 AM.
bigpallooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpallooka View Post
Dude. If this works 'as advertised' you may be my new hero (weeps silently into is hands in awe). It solves ALL the issues I had with other methods of adding audiobooks.

Now that my awe has dimmed I want to ask how big a disaster it would be if you were forced to move the files. Would you need to just delete all the .lnk in calibre (a simple process) and drag & drop again?
If you run the Distributed Link Tracking service then Windows will keep track of moved/renamed file links. Don't let the name mislead you - whilst it does work across networks, it also works locally - so its useful to have it running even on a single machine.

In my experience its not 100%, especially on XP's version of NTFS, but on Win7 it gets pretty close.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
bigpallooka
Connoisseur
bigpallooka began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo/Tablet PC/Desktop/Laptop
Thanks. I'll check that out. I run win 7 on all my machines including my microservers so that should help.
Regards
bigpallooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
Marcs1102
Marcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMarcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMarcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMarcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMarcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMarcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMarcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMarcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMarcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMarcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMarcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

dos subst command for links

Quote:

you can do that *or* i'm an old fart and use the subst command (i substitute a drive letter for a directory on the network, move files? just change one command - ie l: is the drive letter for my links)
Old 02-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #6
Marcs1102

haven't tried it live using the calibre server yet (from external devices on the internet) but it works from my browser on other puters on my network using the wlan (have several broken puters that i duct tape em up/add an external usb drive/make servers on my network.... my way of recycling!
Old 12-08-2013, 02:00 AM   #7
Marcs1102

yup

Quote:

just delete the lnk entries and drag and drop again

next thing i'm putzing with is using the text to speech thing to "read" epubs i don't have audiobooks for

Hint the free program BALABOLKA.ZIP does just that
(http://www.cross-plus-a.com/balabolka.zip)
Old 12-08-2013, 05:35 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcs1102 View Post
note two, you MUST use Drag/Drop to add the shortcut/LNK's to calibre (if you try and use 'add books' the whole big file is copied)
I discovered you can add a LNK (or any other) file to Calibre via Send To, you'll need to add a shortcut to calibre.exe to your Send To folder.

br
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
add audio books, network drive